Lift + Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Medline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.8 hemi
First time poster, new to the truck scene. Always been a truck person, but had to work on my career before making a big purchase.

Recently picked up an 09 1500 SLT Ram 5.8 with 50k on the odo. 1 owner and very very well cared for.

I have a family member with a 5.4 Triton who does a lot of hotshotting cars and makes a very good living doing so. A single 20' aluminum trailer does him well and since I know my truck has better specs I'd like to do the same.

I am a regional/local truck driver about to start my own hauling business but would like some direction in lifting and towing performance.

What can I do to improve my towing experience? I'm looking for performance.
And can I lift it without decreasing my towing performance? If I go with a 4" lift am I required to buy new wheels and tires?

I have $13k to work with, some experienced direction would be great.
Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
4" lift on stock wheels and tires is going to look funny. bigger tires and a lift are going to hurt your towing performance, not to mention hurt you fuel economy. can you do it, sure, lots of people do, usually from a recreational stand point. if your looking to do this as a business, stock height and good tires are your best bet.

a close friend of mine does this for a living. dont take this the wrong way but your limiting yourself with a 1500. id take the money you have and buy a bigger truck instead of dumping it into this one...something capable of carrying more then one car at a time.

OP
OP
M

Medline

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.8 hemi
4" lift on stock wheels and tires is going to look funny. bigger tires and a lift are going to hurt your towing performance, not to mention hurt you fuel economy. can you do it, sure, lots of people do, usually from a recreational stand point. if your looking to do this as a business, stock height and good tires are your best bet.

a close friend of mine does this for a living. dont take this the wrong way but your limiting yourself with a 1500. id take the money you have and buy a bigger truck instead of dumping it into this one...something capable of carrying more then one car at a time.
I'll never take advice the wrong way. Do appreciate the insight. I kinda figured the lift would be a hinder.
I have considered dropping the money on a bigger vehicle, however seeing first hand the money on just a single car I'm curious on whether I'd want to go any bigger at the start.. I am thinking about a bigger truck however if I decided to use the 1500 is there anything I can do performance wise that would be beneficial?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk