Lift vibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bwaterdt60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just installed 7 inch Maxtrac lift on 2014 ram express 2wd. I am having some issues with the lift. There is an intermittent shake that I feel through the seats mostly and makes the center console shake as well. It's a new set of wheels and tires but I had the problem previously with the stock wheels and tires filling the lift install, was hoping the wheels and tires would be it possibly because of a balancing issue. I have also disconnected and reset the track bar. Still the same shake/shimmy. What is weird about it is sometimes it's very present and sometimes it's more subtle and sometimes it's worse on certain roads. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.. Thanks

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
id start with an alignment

OP
OP
B

Bwaterdt60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Got an alignment as soon as the lift was installed didn't do anything

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hmm check, or get your ball joints checked

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Rear driveshaft angles are off. Get a set of adjustable arms for the rear to raise the pinion angle, or go have a CV joint put in the driveshaft at the tcase end.
I'd bet your rear axle is also way further forward in the rear wheel wells? That will compound the problem. After 3" in the rear of these trucks the axle starts moving forwRd a noticeable amount.

OP
OP
B

Bwaterdt60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok I have talked to a couple people that have said that. Everything looks normal, what's weird is that it happens on and off. And when I talked to Maxtrac they said they only time those problems usually occur are with two piece drive shafts. I have a one piece drive shaft. and other guys I know with the same lift and same truck that had no issues.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Maxtrac will tell you anything as will anybody to make themselves look good. Driveline vibes are the hardest to get rid of because .5* in a driveshaft can mean the difference between smooth, wobbles, and complete failure. Single cabs are the worst because it's a short distance from tail shaft to pinion. Long beds are easy because of the long distance, the angles aren't as extreme. Plus, with these 5 link rear ends there's not as much room for error as with old school leaf springs that can bend a little if they need to and soak up the vibes, also as you get more arc to a leaf spring (aftermarket leafs) the block centering holes could be drilled to keep the axle at least centered in the wheel wells which eliminates one of the adjustments that can cause vibes. Plus all you had to do was buy a lift block shim kit and test until it stopped. Unless you have adjustable arms you're stuck.
Go to Home Depot and grab a magnetic angle finder(about $4) and stick it to the tails shaft of the tcase. Then put it on the pinion and if those angles aren't within a maximum of 1* of each other, you found your problem.

OP
OP
B

Bwaterdt60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Angles were good

Went to 4wheel parts angles are good.. Retorqued everything down the other day and it drove home great. Next morning rough again back and forth everytime I drive it. Sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not