Lifter tick after sitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I used to daily my 09 (200k) every day and never noticed any tick, and I still don't when I drive it consistently, but with it warm out I take the bike to work as much as I can and may not take the ram for a week at a time. When it's been sitting for a while like that, there will be some lifter tick, just for a few seconds.

Is the tick just caused but the oil having more time to flow downward over that week and is just running dry for a moment or do you think this is a sign of worse things to come?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Read the lubrication threads in my sig, high molybdenum and polar base oils fix this in 80% of cases, read polls as well. The main use of molybdenum in engine oil is for dry starts, but sadly the hemi seams to need more then average. You need the right type of moly for best results, the type in biotech and redline oil, which is not mos2. Lubegard biotech is much cheaper and comes with an about 50% success rate, if that fails 5w30 redline must be high performance line is gonna be the god standard. Mos2 would be the last choice as it comes with some risks that oil soluble moly doesnt. Moly can take a while to plate, science is what it is. Oil filter choice is equally important, RP 20-820 is about as good as it gets.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think that this brief tick/tap at startup is actually a lubrication issue, but rather a hydraulic one. Sounds like a lifter is just bleeding down over time in your case if you've narrowed it down to only doing it after sitting. I also don't think that this brief tick is really all that big a deal. Not ideal for sure, but it is what it is.

Mine can sit for several days and not tick at startup, but if I start it cold and just move it across the driveway etc then shut it down it will tick/tap at the next startup even if it's only a few minutes later. If I hold revs to build oil pressure for 10-15 seconds it won't do it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't think that this brief tick/tap at startup is actually a lubrication issue, but rather a hydraulic one. Sounds like a lifter is just bleeding down over time in your case if you've narrowed it down to only doing it after sitting. I also don't think that this brief tick is really all that big a deal. Not ideal for sure, but it is what it is.

Mine can sit for several days and not tick at startup, but if I start it cold and just move it across the driveway etc then shut it down it will tick/tap at the next startup even if it's only a few minutes later. If I hold revs to build oil pressure for 10-15 seconds it won't do it.

For almost 4 years now I've been running Redline, then Mobil 1 0w-40 with LG, and now HPL (which has insane amounts of moly, well over 800 ppm IIRC); and I can still get the bleed down tick for a few seconds on occasion especially in the winter time if the truck is shut down cold (like below 50C) with about 2 hours before the next start. It also happens to me on original mopar filter, RP 10-48 and 20-280, the Fram XG10060, and the Fram XG2. Nothing I can do to prevent it other than not doing cold shutdowns.

But agreed its worth a shot, I just think we're talking about two different ticks, this strategy of Redline + RP seems to work for the the lifter failure tick but not the bleed down tick, and the bleed down is not an issue for longevity it just sounds bad.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tolerances are different for every engine, we do not have 100% success rate, but you can read the polls, we certainly have better then a good chance at killing those ticks. Molybdenum plate survives lubrication starvation, but that doesnt mean as a matter of fact it will fix this condition. Even when the moly plate is successful, if an engine sits for many weeks, you can still get that tick.

For almost 4 years now I've been running Redline, then Mobil 1 0w-40 with LG, and now HPL (which has insane amounts of moly, well over 800 ppm IIRC); and I can still get the bleed down tick for a few seconds on occasion especially in the winter time if the truck is shut down cold (like below 50C) with about 2 hours before the next start. It also happens to me on original mopar filter, RP 10-48 and 20-280, the Fram XG10060, and the Fram XG2. Nothing I can do to prevent it other than not doing cold shutdowns.

But agreed its worth a shot, I just think we're talking about two different ticks, this strategy of Redline + RP seems to work for the the lifter failure tick but not the bleed down tick, and the bleed down is not an issue for longevity it just sounds bad.
Have you tried mos2? In this case tolerances may be so wide oil soluble moly isnt enough, but maybe mos2 will fill those gaps.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Tolerances are different for every engine, we do not have 100% success rate, but you can read the polls, we certainly have better then a good chance at killing those ticks. Molybdenum plate survives lubrication starvation, but that doesnt mean as a matter of fact it will fix this condition. Even when the moly plate is successful, if an engine sits for many weeks, you can still get that tick.

Have you tried mos2? In this case tolerances may be so wide oil soluble moly isnt enough, but maybe mos2 will fill those gaps.

The clearances might be different yes, but honestly the variations must be microscopic (measured in thousands of an inch) vs what the moly plating is doing? Could be wrong.

Only moly I've tried is what is in redline, LG, and HPL. It happens so infrequently for me (but happens predictably always under the same conditions), that I'm not trying to correct that issue at the expense of choosing different oils, I love the oil I'm running now and Redline before that, don't want to mix and make potentially a worse issue for myself.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@ramffml are you a 100 it isnt exhaust tick?

Yes, absolutely sure. It only happens under very specific conditions, whereas exhaust tick will always occur on every cold start. I get bleed down tick like about 5 times a year if I had to guess. And it dissapears like a light switch within 2 seconds its instantly gone. Exhaust tick occurs every cold start and gradually fades out.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine

I agree. Lifters bleed all the way down and takes a few seconds to pump up, and not a big deal. My '10 Charger usually doesn't ever tick regardless of how long it sits but I have had it do it once or twice. I always use manufacturer's recommendation 5W-20

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck ticks too when it sits for a few days ( or weeks) as I have a company vehicle for commuting. I do the flood mode trick to prime the oil up and no more ticking.

Ironhead3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
I used to daily my 09 (200k) every day and never noticed any tick, and I still don't when I drive it consistently, but with it warm out I take the bike to work as much as I can and may not take the ram for a week at a time. When it's been sitting for a while like that, there will be some lifter tick, just for a few seconds.

Is the tick just caused but the oil having more time to flow downward over that week and is just running dry for a moment or do you think this is a sign of worse things to come?
You are fortunate.......I have a 19 Classic with a 5.7 and 24,000 miles (40,000kms) and if it sits for more than a day it ticks for 2-3 seconds every time it is started. I change the oil and filter every 2000-3000 miles (3000-4500kms). I had it changed at the dealer 3 or 4 times, and the rest I did myself. I change it frequently because of the temperature extremes here (+42C to -40C), and a lot of my miles are fairly short drives - 1 hour or so. In the winter, the temp gauge doesn't budge off the cold until I drive for 15 or 20 minutes (dealer says that is normal).
As I have said on here before, it is hard to believe, in this day and age, that a manufacturer can't build an engine that has trouble getting oil to the cam/lifters.
Hopefully in your case, you don't have to go deeper than just a tick from sitting

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are fortunate.......I have a 19 Classic with a 5.7 and 24,000 miles (40,000kms) and if it sits for more than a day it ticks for 2-3 seconds every time it is started. I change the oil and filter every 2000-3000 miles (3000-4500kms). I had it changed at the dealer 3 or 4 times, and the rest I did myself. I change it frequently because of the temperature extremes here (+42C to -40C), and a lot of my miles are fairly short drives - 1 hour or so. In the winter, the temp gauge doesn't budge off the cold until I drive for 15 or 20 minutes (dealer says that is normal).
As I have said on here before, it is hard to believe, in this day and age, that a manufacturer can't build an engine that has trouble getting oil to the cam/lifters.
Hopefully in your case, you don't have to go deeper than just a tick from sitting
Same here, 2019 classic starts ticking at 25 kms, pennzoil semi synthetic 5w20 plus biotech formula quiet this tick down,this 5.7 hemi are noisy engines and not a good design.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
These newer engines don't get lifter noise. What you are hearing is a rod bearing getting ready to spin. I learned this the hard way.

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read the lubrication threads in my sig, high molybdenum and polar base oils fix this in 80% of cases, read polls as well. The main use of molybdenum in engine oil is for dry starts, but sadly the hemi seams to need more then average. You need the right type of moly for best results, the type in biotech and redline oil, which is not mos2. Lubegard biotech is much cheaper and comes with an about 50% success rate, if that fails 5w30 redline must be high performance line is gonna be the god standard. Mos2 would be the last choice as it comes with some risks that oil soluble moly doesnt. Moly can take a while to plate, science is what it is. Oil filter choice is equally important, RP 20-820 is about as good as it gets.
Lubegard biotech how often should I add it every oil change ?

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 with a 5.7 and only 39,000 miles on it
I bought it used with 28,000 miles on it going on 4 years ago I am retired

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Lubegard biotech how often should I add it every oil change ?
Unless you go to the nuclear option, yes every change to otc oils. If you go redline, not needed, but generally because it is so expensive only go redline if you have hemi tick. Redline usually kills even start up hemi ti ck. Literally the only time my lifters tick is if it sits a month. Moly does leave a plate that stops ticking, but even that moly plate can dry out if left long enough.

moparchas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless you go to the nuclear option, yes every change to otc oils. If you go redline, not needed, but generally because it is so expensive only go redline if you have hemi tick. Redline usually kills even start up hemi ti ck. Literally the only time my lifters tick is if it sits a month. Moly does leave a plate that stops ticking, but even that moly plate can dry out if left long enough.
the most my truck sits is a week