Lights behind grille vs ditch lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking at installing a set of auxiliary lights, either behind the grille or the a pillar using hood mounts. The grille lights would give me more high beam range, which would be nice. But, the ditch lights would give me more side lighting, which would be just as beneficial given all the night driving I do in a high deer density area. I keep going back and forth. It's also a high probability that I'll end up doing both at some point. Pic of truck for reference.
PXL_20230427_123157688.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not both on the pillar mounts? Spot beams up higher will give you a little more potential distance than the grill. I have mine aimed to supplement the high beams.
PXL_20231008_202037765.jpg

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which brackets are those?
SDHQ out of Arizona, they go under the cowl so they aren't bolted to the hood and don't move. Then it's also SDHQ extender brackets designed for the Baja Designs Squadrons for the ditch lights. I had to drill the extender brackets out slightly for the Diode Dynamics bolt but they work great.

Hey they're on sale right now too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SDHQ out of Arizona, they go under the cowl so they aren't bolted to the hood and don't move. Then it's also SDHQ extender brackets designed for the Baja Designs Squadrons for the ditch lights. I had to drill the extender brackets out slightly for the Diode Dynamics bolt but they work great.

Hey they're on sale right now too.

Those brackets appear to allow an optimal position for mounting of lights for visibility but do they create much wind noise at highway speeds?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those brackets appear to allow an optimal position for mounting of lights for visibility but do they create much wind noise at highway speeds?

None that I've heard from the lights or the antenna. Even during the summer with the windows down. But to be transparent, I never drive without the radio on so if it was a small noise I might be missing it.