Locking the tailgate in down position?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CZSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is the an easy or best way to lock the tailgate in the down position?

I have my bicycle mount attached to the inside of the tailgate along with a Backflip VP cover; If I want to keep the cover 'down' in folded position only to avoid blocking the rear window I need to drive with the gate down and want to limit the gate from bouncing when from bumps or dips.

Thoughts?

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
I don't know how hard you are hitting these bumps and dips you speak of, but dang brother!!!! How fast do you hit bumps to where your tailgate will actually bounce up? Hahahahaha. I have never had any issues with mine popping up but if you have then maybe a board or something flat underneath the load you are carrying will hold it down. If the bikes, etc. aren't heavy enough themselves. I keep a stainless hose clamp on all of my tailgates to keep them from being stolen.

OP
OP
C

CZSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
HL - You're a funny guy... Thanks for the input.
When a gate is in the down position without any weight it does not take much at all to initiate a bounce; the bike I reference is rather light @ 17lbs - Trust me, I'm WAY beyond my Young-N-Dumb driving stupid days.
BTW - I'm aware it may be technically illegal driving with the gate down without a red indicator.

Still open to suggestions - Thanks.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Yeah I can see that being that it only weighs that little. Every time I have had to do it I had quite a bit more weight on it. I have no ideas for you sir but good luck!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
A deezee tailgate assist should fix the problem. Its essentially a shock that mounts with the tail gate cable

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^That. It's what we use when traveling with more than the 2-4 bikes on the mounts and over the tailgate pad. The shock keeps it from moving too much, even when having to drive up sections of fire road to get to our cabin.

Reminds me, sold the original, need a new one. They're under $30 shipped online.