Long road trip - review of my 1500 and observations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mods, if this belongs elsewhere, please move.

Due to a death in the family, last week I found myself on a very long road trip. Since my parents do not fly, I would up driving from Central Texas (Round Rock/Austin area) to the Mississippi Gulf coast to pick them up, and then up to North Carolina for the funeral services. Total round trip mileage for me was right at 3100 miles.

My 2014 Laramie 1500 - 4x4 w/5.7L Hemi w/Vararam, PTB, and Trinity w/93 octance HF tune - managed 19.1 mpg (hand calculated) / 20.5 mpg (according to trip computer) for the round trip. All fill ups were at Shell gas stations, and 93 octane used. (Amazing the price deltas in the same grade of gasoline. Cheapest was in Biloxi, MS at $2.609 per gallon. Most expensive was in Orange, TX at $3.399 per gallon.)

Driving was predominately interstate, mostly flowing very well. Except Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge never, ever seems to flow well. Everywhere else, flowing with traffic, generally the travelling speed was speed limit +5 mph. This meant quite a few miles travelling at 75 - 85 mph (gotta love Texas SH130 toll way for 80 mph speed limit).

For the speeds I traveled, I'm dang impressed with the overall mpg I got in a crew cab 4x4. My parents loved the comfort of the interior.

One other item to note - since the trip wasn't really planned ahead of time, I went past my normally scheduled catch-can check and dump. While on the trip, after I started the truck in Atlanta I noticed that it just didn't sound right upon starting. I later remembered that the catch-can was overdue to be checked, and sure enough it was completely full. Upon emptying it, no more funky sounds at startup. I'll be making my interval of checking much more frequent.

Non-RAM observations...

Waze is a very useful app for navigation, particularly with its re-routing feature for traffic jams. I did note, though, that Waze definitely "learns" your driving habits. The ETA that it calculated, at the start of each day ASSUMED that I'd be driving 5 mph over the speed limit. I've got some concerns about how that date could be used against me one day... Food for thought.

I-20 was in fantastic shape, and the best stretch of Interstate I was on (from Atlanta to South Carolina where I got on to I-95.) I-95 was by far the most congested stretch of Interstate. I-10 flowed very well, except for Baton Rouge (I reaaaalllyy don't like driving through Baton Rouge) as well as Beaumont where there was lane closures due to some construction.

Bojangles rocks! I'd heard a ton about Bojangles fried chicken from colleagues at the office, so I made sure to stop for some - which we did in Columbia, SC. Very good fried chicken and biscuits.

The people in North Carolina are phenomenally friendly. I'm from and have lived in various parts of the south (LA, MS, AL and TX), but have to tip my hat to the folk in NC who were amazingly gracious and hospitable to us.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool! Love the Crew Cab 4x4's! We just bought a 2013 Durango with all the creature comforts, including DVD player, and my wife would rather take the truck on trips... funny how that works.

And, sort of off topic/on topic (since I'm dumb about it)... when you empty a catch can, what do you do with the contents? I think it would be a pain in the a** to have to remember to dump that thing all the time.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6 speed or 8 speed? Gear Ratio? Did you like the expansion joints on I-10 in Lo?
Jay

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool! Love the Crew Cab 4x4's! We just bought a 2013 Durango with all the creature comforts, including DVD player, and my wife would rather take the truck on trips... funny how that works.

And, sort of off topic/on topic (since I'm dumb about it)... when you empty a catch can, what do you do with the contents? I think it would be a pain in the a** to have to remember to dump that thing all the time.
I use old oil quart containers and a funnel to hold the junk from the catch can... Easy to do, and I will now keep one in the truck box to have available on unexpected road trips.

Sent via Tapatalk

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
6 speed or 8 speed? Gear Ratio? Did you like the expansion joints on I-10 in Lo?
Jay
Ah, great questions, meant to put in the original post. 8 speed with the 3.23.

Yeah, the expansion joints are fun, but really the overall quality of I–10 has been greatly improved over the past 10 years.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those expansion joints drive me crazy--at certain speeds they are really obnoxious. Almost makes me spill my cold beverage!!! LOL
Jay

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just got back in the last little bit from my road trip which was a wee bit longer than yours ie mine was 3200ish each way. I to forgot about my cc, when I got back to my surprise it was empty (maybe due to operating temps?). Normally I find it collects in normal conditions. Oh and strangely when we left New Orleans for Mobile AL on the 10 we sailed right on through Baton Rouge or Red Stick. Hey I like to think I am in the know lol

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine
Wow, that's a long trip!! This is my first vehicle that I actually have started renting cars when I have to take long trips. My last rental was with tax $40 a day. It was a Kia Optima and was shocked I was getting around 35 mpg on the highway. What I found is I basically break even with the savings in gas and I put the miles and abuse on the rental.

Now the math could change as the cost of gas continues to drop, no complaints about that, but just something I thought I would throw out there. I never rented in the past and someone suggested it, and it has worked for me.

One last point, huge Waze fan here. I use it all of the time anymore. Always gets me around traffic.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool! Love the Crew Cab 4x4's! We just bought a 2013 Durango with all the creature comforts, including DVD player, and my wife would rather take the truck on trips... funny how that works............

I got rid of my much loved 2013 Durango for the Ram as it flat out tows better IMO. But the Ram better on trips?? Hard to beat the Durango.

P1010454.jpg

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, that's a long trip!! This is my first vehicle that I actually have started renting cars when I have to take long trips. My last rental was with tax $40 a day. It was a Kia Optima and was shocked I was getting around 35 mpg on the highway. What I found is I basically break even with the savings in gas and I put the miles and abuse on the rental.

Now the math could change as the cost of gas continues to drop, no complaints about that, but just something I thought I would throw out there. I never rented in the past and someone suggested it, and it has worked for me.

One last point, huge Waze fan here. I use it all of the time anymore. Always gets me around traffic.
A coworker of mine suggested renting as well. One of the best things about the Ram for me is seating comfort. If I am driving for more than 3 hours in most vehicles I get terrible knots in my upper back in the shoulder blade area. In the Ram that doesn't happen nearly as bad. I don't know the exact reason why, but I just am happy and thankful that my Ram doesn't cause the knotting like other vehicles do. It is a real blessing to not be in miserable pain knowing that you have hours more driving to do.

Sent via Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got rid of my much loved 2013 Durango for the Ram as it flat out tows better IMO. But the Ram better on trips?? Hard to beat the Durango.

P1010454.jpg

That's a sharp looking Durango. I like the way the RT's look. To some defense, we literally just got ours... barely had a week at the time of the trip. I've only been it 3 times... 1 for the test drive, 1 when we got it home to fill up with gas, and once going to dinner. We're going on 2 weeks now and I still haven't been in it. I really like it, the wife is still getting used to it.

I'm sure we'll start using it for longer drives. Especially on trips with people for the room and the ability to throw the luggage in back and keep it out of the elements.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks EagleChief.....it was a tough decision to part with it, but the R/T is really low to the ground as is our new travel trailer. Couldn't get the hitch down enough to keep more weight on the tongue, in order to safely carry the bikes on the back of the trailer. (The WDH bars would hit the ground.) You know that feeling when the trailer feels like it's going to go into the death wobble? Truck does a magnificent job towing and averages 2.5 mpg better while doing it.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A coworker of mine suggested renting as well. One of the best things about the Ram for me is seating comfort. If I am driving for more than 3 hours in most vehicles I get terrible knots in my upper back in the shoulder blade area. In the Ram that doesn't happen nearly as bad. I don't know the exact reason why, but I just am happy and thankful that my Ram doesn't cause the knotting like other vehicles do. It is a real blessing to not be in miserable pain knowing that you have hours more driving to do.

Sent via Tapatalk

My back hip and leg issues are why I'm back in pickup! My test drive was 120 miles just to make sure .

Cobra2top

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Brilliant Black Crew
Engine

Sent via Tapatalk

Yeah, I did have to get use to driving a sedan again. Took a little while to get use to feeling like I'm hugging the ground in the rental. Actually they wanted to give me a new Explorer for the same price last time, but I passed only because I wanted the better gas mileage. Would have like the higher view though.

I hear you on the comfort piece. I do like "stretching out" in the Ram. I have the jump seat and at first wished I got the center console. Now after a few months I like not having it.