Long term damage to engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my ‘18 Ram 1500 CC 6’4” 5.7L Laramie about a month ago. My driveway has a pretty steep incline and I’ve noticed in the mornings when I start it up, it sounds like it’s having to pump fuel into an empty engine. It bogs a little a few times before settling down once the fuel gets to the engine. It doesn’t do this after sitting on a level parking lot all day at work, so I’m pretty sure it’s bc of the gas going to the back of the truck In the driveway. My question is, could this have any long term effects on the engine, fuel pump, or other mechanical parts? Any input is appreciated as I look to have this truck for a long time. It’s my first truck and it’s pretty damn bad-ass!
Thanks,
Cory

Last edited:

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i bought my ‘18 Ram 1500 CC 6’4” 5.7L Laramie about a month ago. My driveway has a pretty steep incline and I’ve noticed in the mornings when I start it up, it sounds like it’s having to pump fuel into an empty engine. It bogs a little a few times before settling down once the fuel gets to the engine. It doesn’t do this after sitting on a level parking lot all day at work, so I’m pretty sure it’s bc of the gas going to the back of the truck In the driveway. My question is, could this have any long term effects on the engine, fuel pump, or other mechanical parts? Any input is appreciated as I look to have this truck for a long time. It’s my first truck and it’s pretty damn bad-ass!
Thanks,
Cory

Im probably no help but maybe back it in your spot?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Let it idle for a minute before turning off may help.

OP
OP
Coramie

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn the key over one time to the RUN position and let the fuel pump run for a second. When it stops, then turn the key to start. Maybe that might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That never even crossed my mind. I’ll try that in the morning and see if it helps.

OP
OP
Coramie

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
turn the key to ON but don't start it right away. Let the fuel pump pressurize the fuel system before you start it up.
I’m going to try that in the morning. Someone else suggested the same thing. Thank you, I appreciate it!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does happen regardless of fuel level ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you "tip start" the truck or turn and hold the key when starting?
To "tip start" the truck, just the key all the way to start and let go of the key. When tip starting the truck should delay before cranking(just like when remote starting).

OP
OP
Coramie

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you "tip start" the truck or turn and hold the key when starting?
To "tip start" the truck, just the key all the way to start and let go of the key. When tip starting the truck should delay before cranking(just like when remote starting).
I’ve never done what you describe as “tip starting”. Even with the key held in the start position there is a short delay before it cranks. This is the first vehicle I’ve owned that does that. Most crank right up once the key hits “start”. My newest vehicle besides this is a ‘14, so maybe it’s become more common than I’m aware of in the last few years.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Just be careful. if the pump goes dry the pump will wear and overheat (even on priming). The fuel in the tank acts as a heat sink and lubrication. So if you have to prime the pump/fuel line everytime you start the truck it could wear the pump prematurely. The fact that you keep it 1/2 or full all the time helps.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Im probably no help but maybe back it in your spot?

THIS.

that way instead of the fuel settling overnight away from your block, it'll settle INTO your block. Should vroooom! right up in the morning.