Looking at buying a 05' ram 1500 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thdoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum

schwarz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Engine
Hemi 5.7 4x2 3.92
Hey welcome!

2 things I noticed, looks like truck has either a leveling kit or a lift and that front brush bar make it look like this truck was used off road...I personally wouldn't buy a truck that has any sort of suspension mods and big tires

braindead0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hugenormous
Hey welcome!

2 things I noticed, looks like truck has either a leveling kit or a lift and that front brush bar make it look like this truck was used off road...I personally wouldn't buy a truck that has any sort of suspension mods and big tires
+1 on that. Lifts can be easily done wrong, larger tires cause more wear on the suspension components as well. If there is a good 4x4 shop in your area (avoid bolt-on palace truck accessory places, find one that does custom lifts) pay them to check it out. It'll be worth the money/hassle.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It looks like the torsion bars might be cranked slightly.
I did notice the front brush guard right away. That can be from anything from off roading to not paying attention while parking (in such places as while camping E.G). It could be a cheap bar meant merely for aesthetics and doesn't offer any real protection, thus bending easily (something to look into)
I would have it inspected thoroughly and if it checks out, start negotiating.

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks to me like it's been keyed or something.

I saw the scratch on the passenger door and looks like it's dented as well.
Then I saw the same kind of scratch on the tail gate.

Hard to tell from the pics but the tires looking a little less than desirable on tread.

OH, it has the 4.7L - NO GO imo...That right there would pretty much kill the deal for me. I specifically wanted the HEMI and wouldn't settle. YMMV

It is a good lookin truck. Don't get me wrong. I think it's priced a bit high though.
But, I have noticed pricing is sometimes dependent upon the location.

Me? I'd keep looking.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What the others have said, plus, if you look a the battery terminals, there's a little something extra. Look inside and you see some wiring behind the ashtray area and a toggle switch. It wasn't done very well as far as I'm concerned, which leads me to believe it he half assed something simple as that, what else did he half ass? It has 18 inch rims, which I don't believe are stock. IMO, I wouldn't buy it unless you're OK with it's faults and the 4.7. Just my .02 cents.

OP
OP
T

Thdoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
I'm going to look into everything y'all have said so far, I didn't realize how haphazard thy wiring was till you mentioned it...kinda spooky

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No Go IMO...

+1 on the 4.7L. I would get a 4.7L brand new and knowing what it requires in regards to proper maintenance to be maintained in a good running condition. But I know first hand what it involves buying 1 used and abused.

Also it does look like some of the abuse on this truck was somehow "covered up" with some badly used detailing techniques.

Now I can't say about the price in your area, but in my neck of the woods, this is on the pricy side for a 2005.

My 2 cents.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
I would pass on that one as well....too many little "red flags" or at least yellow ones. I think if your patient on looking you will find a much better conditioned one, and with a Hemi...