Looking for help changing oil in my 5.7l Hemi 2015 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKP3885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not a noob to oil changes, but i am to the dodge ram.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks for changing the oil in a 2015 ram with the 5.7l Hemi?

The filter looks to be buried and a pita to get to. Should I even attempt to do it myself or should I just take it somewhere?

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
I'm not a noob to oil changes, but i am to the dodge ram.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips and tricks for changing the oil in a 2015 ram with the 5.7l Hemi?

The filter looks to be buried and a pita to get to. Should I even attempt to do it myself or should I just take it somewhere?

Well I take mine in too Walmart and do my regular oil change and a tire rotation for $66.78 I use the pennzoil 5w20 is what the truck asks for. It does well in its early life but from 50-30% the known hemi knock gets a little bad on cold starts other than that that's what I do man, but I'd like to hear from other guys on here to see what they do to tame the knock.

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Mines a '14 Hemi, I take it back to the dealer and they charge $17.00 to change the oil and filter I bring (I use Mobile 1 5W-30 and a Mann filter). I got a book of $700.00 worth of service tickets with purchase ($25.00 each), so just give them one at each oil change, it only has 12,600 miles and has had 3 oil changes already. The reason I go back to the dealer is for documentation, I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Not terribly difficult just messy. You will want to put a rag on whatever is directly below the filter. Having a filter wrench in your arsenal never hurts too. I don't trust anyone else to change mine.

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Filterglove Oil Filter Removal Tool

Makes my oil changed totally mess free.

+1. I changed my oil a few weeks ago with one of these and didn't spill a drop. Also used a giant funnel from wal-mart which works great to catch the oil. You could also just use a 5 gal bucket though which is only like 4 bucks.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Change filter from underneath its easier. I run pennzoil platinum 5w20 and a bosch synthetic filter and change religiously at 5000 miles. I dont care what the book says or the evic for that matter says about 8000 between changes I do 5 for synthetic. It is going to make a little mess with the filter use a plastic bag or punch a hole in the filter to let it drain. I just use brake cleaner and clean up whatever is leftover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JKP3885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The filter glove looks like a great idea. Would ramps help me get to the filter easier from underneath? I'm considering amsoil so I only have to change it once a year. Sounds like it might be too good to be true though.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't realize Wal Mart was $66 out the door. That's a deal for synthetic

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$66 for what? If they change it?

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
$66 for what? If they change it?

For full synthetic pennzoil 5w20 and a tire rotation and I sit there and watch them through the little clear window they've done it twice now and haven't let me down.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
No Problem! Makes oil changes some what enjoyable. Worst part is taking the old oil to be recycled.

mrsocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Documentation et cetera...

I want to run full synthetic in my 2016 1500 Lone Star with 5.7 hemi. I will change every 4k or 4 months, as is my habit with my 2 bikes and Scion "Box Car". I want to verify viscosity and quantity of oil for the Ram here as the manual covers all models and engines and can be confusing to read. And, as a note regarding documentation; you need only a written list and receipts for materials (a detailed log if you will) r/t these personally performed tasks to maintain warranty. This law was passed more than a decade ago in the USA.

MR.Z06

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No Problem! Makes oil changes some what enjoyable. Worst part is taking the old oil to be recycled.

No leaks? That would be my biggest concern is developing a leak or having it fail completely and dumping my oil as I'm driving along the highway.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Why do you think there would be leaks? Never one leak over the past 11 years of using these valves. I have the fumoto installed on all 4 family autos.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
Not terribly difficult just messy. You will want to put a rag on whatever is directly below the filter. Having a filter wrench in your arsenal never hurts too. I don't trust anyone else to change mine.

my sentiments, exactly. Well, that and I am too cheap to hire it out. I know how I want it done, and the only way that's going to happen, is to do it myself.

Mercstealth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly its not hard to change the oil in these trucks, heck its what I do for a living. I would recommend ramps, and an oil filter wrench those help a ton or just buy the oil you want in it and bring it to a dealership. I recommend the dealership route to any of my customers who are looking at doing the oil change yourself, you get the oil you want in there, do not have to deal with disposal and you can still sit and watch. Plus dealerships will keep all records and do inspections for any problems, and let me tell you Chrysler cares a lot about records come warranty issues time. Just like I recommend if you rotate your own tires record it with date time and mileage.