Water in Fuel 2019 RAM 1500 (5.7L Hemi)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GXC7243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just recently had some really bad misfires due to water in my fuel. I'm 99% certain I know where the water came from (a local gas station The Grizzly Station). The Grizzly Station is the only place I filled up before the issues with my RAM; filled from empty to full.

I've been talking with the owner and the company in charge of the station's fuel tanks. The owner is denying responsibility and the tank company is telling me it's impossible to come from the tank. The owner of the tank company keeps insisting that Dodge RAMs have a defect for their capless gas tank inlets that allow for water to get in. He claims it's a common occurrence. I know these two owners are buddies and they often help each other out. So I'm wondering if you all could help me gain some clarity.

How likely is it for a 2019 RAM 1500 (5.7L Hemi) with a capless gas tank inlet to get water in the fuel tank when it's parked a couple of days in snowy weather?

Attachments

• IMG_7664.jpg
    IMG_7664.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7662.jpg
    IMG_7662.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 2

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read nothing posted in this forum ref the issue you bring up. I Highly doubt it, but just IMHO.

Also, :welcome:

WHY, I neva get fuel from any out of the way Mom, Pop places, just stations that have high influx of customers.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I just recently had some really bad misfires due to water in my fuel. I'm 99% certain I know where the water came from (a local gas station The Grizzly Station). The Grizzly Station is the only place I filled up before the issues with my RAM; filled from empty to full.

I've been talking with the owner and the company in charge of the station's fuel tanks. The owner is denying responsibility and the tank company is telling me it's impossible to come from the tank. The owner of the tank company keeps insisting that Dodge RAMs have a defect for their capless gas tank inlets that allow for water to get in. He claims it's a common occurrence. I know these two owners are buddies and they often help each other out. So I'm wondering if you all could help me gain some clarity.

How likely is it for a 2019 RAM 1500 (5.7L Hemi) with a capless gas tank inlet to get water in the fuel tank when it's parked a couple of days in snowy weather?
They are feeding you pure b*s**. They are trying to avoid liability.

OP
OP
GXC7243

GXC7243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They are feeding you pure b*s**. They are trying to avoid liability.
Do you have any suggestions in dealing with this kind of issue? Do you know anywhere I can find information on the likely hood of the capless gas tank inlet failing? The damages ended up costing me $2,236.06.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Did the dealer take a sample of the gas when they drained it. Also, get them to sign off that it was not a leak from capless because if it was, they should be covering the cost. Next step is post up on local Facebook etc and asks others if they had water in gas from this station. Depending on how long ago go put ten gallons in Jerry cans and see if there is still water in the gas. This shows up best just after the tanker drops a new load.

Contact refinery and trucking company and see if there have previously been issues with water at this location. Also call whoever inspects pumps and tanks, file a complaint and ask for investigation and if there have been previous or current issues.

Between those various steps you will likely turn up info you need.

OP
OP
GXC7243

GXC7243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did the dealer take a sample of the gas when they drained it. Also, get them to sign off that it was not a leak from capless because if it was, they should be covering the cost. Next step is post up on local Facebook etc and asks others if they had water in gas from this station. Depending on how long ago go put ten gallons in Jerry cans and see if there is still water in the gas. Contract refinery and trucking company and see if there have previously been issues with water at this location. Also call whoever inspects pumps and tanks, file a comaint and ask for investigation and if there have been previous or current issues.

Between those various steps you will likely turn up info you need.
I appreciate the information Dean. Thank very much. I'll get working on it.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no experience with Ram capless gas tanks but my wife has a ford with the system that has had zero problems in ten years of service. We don’t get snow but a heck of a lot of rain and never had water intrusion yet the inlet opening sits pretty flat facing upward. I doubt Ram is having a problem with a system that has been around more than a decade.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Do you have any suggestions in dealing with this kind of issue? Do you know anywhere I can find information on the likely hood of the capless gas tank inlet failing? The damages ended up costing me $2,236.06.
If it was from a bad gas inlet on your truck this would not have been your first time getting water in your tank, but then I also expect BS like your getting from gas stations in Portland....

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It is common for older fuel stations to have contaminated tanks but either the station is buying inferior fuel or their tanks are never fill adequately to prevent condensation of the plastic I was advised never to buy fuel from stations in low lying areas or next to hill sides.
There are products used to treat water contamination their basic ingredients are isopropyl alcohol like alcohol solvent or 100% isopropyl you buy at a CVS or DG Heat iso is one or Water Zorb
( Don’t buy gas from greedy cheap station owners )

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you upset any neighbors lately, or have some 10 year old turds running around who would stick a water hose in there? :argue:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The days of putting sugar or water in the gas tank are gone, when you put the gas station nozzle into your tank it pushes a flapper open to allow fuel into the tank if someone tries to put water in there it will get past the first flapper and go the ground that second flapper needs to be activated, how about when you wash your truck or if it rains no water gets into the tank, that POS gas station is Lying to you, that part of Portland sure does love the homeless!!!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The days of putting sugar or water in the gas tank are gone, when you put the gas station nozzle into your tank it pushes a flapper open to allow fuel into the tank if someone tries to put water in there it will get past the first flapper and go the ground that second flapper needs to be activated, how about when you wash your truck or if it rains no water gets into the tank, that POS gas station is Lying to you, that part of Portland sure does love the homeless!!!
Spot on. Unless you use the special funnel that comes with the truck, you can't even add injector cleaner. No way water is getting past this system whether rain or some local kid unless they know exactly what they are doing.