Looking for Overhead dual microphone wiring location 2018

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TEC Tactical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I decided to scrap putting in my RA3 8.4" from another Ram into my 2018 Ram (After finding out the wiring is different)

I decided to go with a Kenwood double Din head unit but would like to use the stock microphones in the headliner. I was planning on splicing in to the factory wiring and putting a pigtail on with the 3.5 phono jack for the radio but so far, can not locate the wires for it.

Anyone know where they are and the colors? I have read bolt the inside, left side of the opening for the radio and the left side access panel on the dash however they all talk about the Mic's in the rear view mirror.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I decided to scrap putting in my RA3 8.4" from another Ram into my 2018 Ram (After finding out the wiring is different)

I decided to go with a Kenwood double Din head unit but would like to use the stock microphones in the headliner. I was planning on splicing in to the factory wiring and putting a pigtail on with the 3.5 phono jack for the radio but so far, can not locate the wires for it.

Anyone know where they are and the colors? I have read bolt the inside, left side of the opening for the radio and the left side access panel on the dash however they all talk about the Mic's in the rear view mirror.
The mic wires go right into the big C1 radio connector that plugs into the back of the radio, so just access them there. They are in these pin positions on the connector:

29- BU/GN is mic 1 (-)

30- DG/BU is mic 1 (+)

39- BU/BG is mic 2 (-)

40- BU/DG is mic 2 (+)

Your efforts will be in vain, though, as I have already tried what you are doing. When someone is talking to you on a phone call over the mics, they will get horrible feedback of their own voice. Same with Siri or google. They can be summoned, but their interpretation of what you’re asking is WAY off.

OP
OP
TEC Tactical

TEC Tactical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for that input, I will need to find a good place for the aftermarket Mic that won't drive the caller nuts when I have the turn signal on. Maybe route it up were the stock one is.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I drilled out a plug in the overhead console and super glued a microphone there.

In 2013+ trucks the area is plugged because that's where a light sensor was in earlier years...a35b7c7c9ee01e303ab484f9dc1ae3c1.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

sam-aye-am

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I drilled out a plug in the overhead console and super glued a microphone there.

In 2013+ trucks the area is plugged because that's where a light sensor was in earlier years...a35b7c7c9ee01e303ab484f9dc1ae3c1.jpg

Do you get any NVH feedback into the mic there?

I ask as I tried something similar but put it in an empty switch panel in the dash of my VW golf TDI. No one could here me clearly with it mounted there as the actual mic body was in physical contact with the knockout switch panel and thus a direct path for and NVH harmonics transmitted through the dash. Also a Kenwood double DIN unit. Only thing that solved it was to move the mic to somewhere that it only came in contact with a pieces of the car through the rather thick double sided tape.

Tried and achieved similar results with other kenwood units on my previous 2007.5 Ram 3500 and current 2015 3500.

I’d be near ecstatic if I could find a way to mount the kenwood mic in that console area and not get NVH harmonics transmitted from the overhead console directly contact in the mic body without some form of damping in between the body and the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you get any NVH feedback into the mic there?

I ask as I tried something similar but put it in an empty switch panel in the dash of my VW golf TDI. No one could here me clearly with it mounted there as the actual mic body was in physical contact with the knockout switch panel and thus a direct path for and NVH harmonics transmitted through the dash. Also a Kenwood double DIN unit. Only thing that solved it was to move the mic to somewhere that it only came in contact with a pieces of the car through the rather thick double sided tape.

Tried and achieved similar results with other kenwood units on my previous 2007.5 Ram 3500 and current 2015 3500.

I’d be near ecstatic if I could find a way to mount the kenwood mic in that console area and not get NVH harmonics transmitted from the overhead console directly contact in the mic body without some form of damping in between the body and the console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That I'm not sure as the microphone I purchased wouldn't work properly. For some reason, it would only work when the radio played music?

OP
OP
TEC Tactical

TEC Tactical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up going with the Kenwood head unit and used the Kenwood mic. I routed it up to the center console and just clipped it onto that housing. Works very well, at 80mph there is no road noise when on the phone. I just need to see how it is when there is a down pour and rain is hammering the roof.

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mic wires go right into the big C1 radio connector that plugs into the back of the radio, so just access them there. They are in these pin positions on the connector:

29- BU/GN is mic 1 (-)

30- DG/BU is mic 1 (+)

39- BU/BG is mic 2 (-)

40- BU/DG is mic 2 (+)

Your efforts will be in vain, though, as I have already tried what you are doing. When someone is talking to you on a phone call over the mics, they will get horrible feedback of their own voice. Same with Siri or google. They can be summoned, but their interpretation of what you’re asking is WAY off.
Did you wire both mics? If so I can see where what you are describing would be the case. Otherwise I don’t understand why that wouldn’t work. Polarity issue perhaps. I can definitely see where you would have feedback with both mics.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you wire both mics? If so I can see where what you are describing would be the case. Otherwise I don’t understand why that wouldn’t work. Polarity issue perhaps. I can definitely see where you would have feedback with both mics.
Tried both ways- both mics, then just the one over the driver. With both mics, there was absolutely no response from Siri, and I couldn’t be heard by someone I was talking to on the phone. When using one mic, I could get Siri, but her interpretation of what I was saying was way off. I’m not talking words that sound close to each other either- I would say “call wife” and she would call frank. I would say a sentence, and she would repeat something completely different back to me. Terrible feedback with one mic, and I could barely be heard. Polarity was checked and tried both ways.

hunterco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is bad news. It must be an active mic then. I was really hoping I could use the factory mic. I guess I’m going to have to print a holder for the Kenwood mic. Either that or I guess I could take the factory mic apart