Looking for Reg Cab Sub/Amp Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

typo_joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for sharing WhiteExpress.

Thought id give an update...

I ordered an AudioControl LC2i line out converter from Crutchfield. It should arrive monday.

I have bought all the building supplies for the box except the carpet. I did tweak the box design but i wasnt able to increase the slope. The mounting depth of the 12 wont allow more slope without kicking out the bottom, which i dont want to do. I ended up stretching the width from 16" to 18". The internal dimensions of the tray wont allow (easily) for much wider then that (less than an inch remains before i get to the divider base.

After reconsidering the removal of the tray, ive been playing with a box design that includes a tray for the remaining empty space, as suggested. Im going to pull the tray out tomorrow to get some measurements and to see exactly what im working with. What ive come up with so far is a basic rectangle box (no slopes) with tray attached. The height is just about an inch taller then the overall diameter off the sub. This will allow me to keep the hooks in tact (on the back wall), still allow for storage on top of the box and with no angles, easier to build. The more i think about it the more im leaning this way. Itll all depend on what i see tomorrow after i pull the tray out.

The removal of the tray does allow for the possible use of the two 10s instead of the one 12. As with the 12, if the tray is out i can keep the box short (shorter since they are 10s). So even if i do stretch behind the entire seat to get the required volume, ill still have "on top of the box" storage.

I've also decided on an amp. Looks like im going to go with a Kicker CX1200.1. Its not going to max the sub out due to the 6 ohm coil but it should push it good enough. If i do go with the 10s itll be more then enough power.

• design alternate box configurations for both 12 and 10s.
• loc should arrive monday
• ill order the amp either this weekend or early next week
• once i decide on the box, ill build, carpet and install.
• when the amp arrives, ill put it in position and determine wire paths and lengths
• armed with this knowledge ill buy and run the wiring for the amp
• install everything
•AND THEN... Test, tweak, tweak some more and vibrate some mirrors!

Thats my current plan anyway. Once i get some alternate box plans together ill share for some opinions. Which are welcome, now or later.

Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
T

typo_joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys/(girls?), thanks for all the replies and assistance. This thread has become something beyond what it was intended for. Originally, it was for advice on the amp/sub set up. With your help, I've made my decisions and this has now become a build thread.

So... here the link to the build thread. As always, its wordy. You've been warned.

http://www.ramforum.com/f51/typos_reg_cab_box_build-31817/#post541030

Also, I'm going to edit the original post to include a link to this thread. FYI.

Thanks again.