Looking for some advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havekost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello there,

I'm currently in the process of making the jump from my Charger of 13 years to my first ram.
I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with an answer to one question. I have located a 2011 1500 in fantastic condition with a good price, but I have no idea if that was a good year or not.
I know the newer 8 speed transmission is always talked about in the videos I have watched. Should I forgo anything that doesn't have that transmission?
Is the 2011 something that I should consider or hold out for a 2014+?
I figured it would be best to come to the source of Ram owner information to ask the question!
Any info or recommendations would be greatly helpful! Thanks.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It also requires sparkplug changes at 35k miles, assuming it a hemi but if you've driven it and it's right for you then knowing what you now know, go for it. The newer trucks go 100k on the plugs and there are 16 of them to change.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Welcome to the Forum. If it were me, I'd hunt down a newer model with the 8spd, it made a world of difference. I was amazed when I went from my '08 to my '17.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If the 2011 runs well & has no tick I'd buy it.
I'm glad my 2010 doesn't have electronic steering or the 8 spd. Research the problems with both and you might feel the same.

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
I agree with the above posts HOWEVER I own a 2011 with the hemi and I absolutely love it! It's by far the nicest truck I've ever had and I've had plenty. Outside of the standard busted exhaust manifold bolts I haven't had any issues. I've upgraded quite a bit ( headers, cold air intake, super chips tune, mechanical cooling fan delete, ECT...) so if you decide on the 2011 and want some pointers I'm more than happy to share with you. What ever the model you pick I think you'll be happy. I'll list below what I paid for mine 2 months ago. Keep in mind everything I see says trucks are hard to find right now so they are at a premium, even had the dealership offer me 110% KBB for mine cash outright with no obligations!

2011 Ram Bighorn edition crew cab.
5.7 hemi
113,600 miles when purchased.
Out the door for $14,652 deliverd to my door none the less from over 100 miles away.
0808201001_HDR.jpg IMG_20200708_170136712.jpg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Also keep in mind the newer it is, the more it 'thinks' for you (autopark, collision avoidance, etc)
I prefer to drive my truck, don't want it making decisions for me.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A 2011 is a good machine. You didn't mention which engine I think it could have the 3.7, 4.7 or Hemi.. The 3.7 is not a great piece of hardware and the 4.7 is just OK it runs well but has its problems.

The 5/6 speed transmission is a good gearbox, the only thing that makes it less desirable is that the 8 speed is a great one.

Post-2013 gets you revisions like electric power steering, revised traction control that works better off road, slightly more horsepower in the Hemi or a much better base engine..

OP
OP
H

Havekost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry yes I forgot to mention it's the 5.7. Carfax shows 1 owner and maintenance records at all intervals from the dealership. Zero problems as far as I can tell.
Thank you all for your fast replies! It looks like Ill be happy either way I decide.
I'm very drawn to this particular truck so hopefully I can snag it.