Looking into getting a used (possibly new) Ram - Advice/questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazymjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all -- hope I came to the right place.

My wife is looking to trade/sell her 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler for a truck. We have more or less narrowed it down to the F-150 and the Ram 1500. I'm solidly in camp Ram, my wife is less decided.

I think we are probably going to be in the used market as we have a firm budget. I have a cash offer from one dealer for 20K for the jeep. KBB has the private party value around 23-25, trade in at 20. I'll take 20 if I get the right price on a ram for the convenience. We weren't planning on getting rid of her Jeep, but with the baby and 3 dogs, the cab size of the Ram actually makes more sense. We looked at Tahoes and Expeditions, and they were surprisingly not THAT much more spacious than the Jeep, and at a significantly higher price point than the full size trucks. Also, the truck interiors are nicer.

I'm a Guard member from the northeast currently PCSd down south for school. Sales tax on vehicles down here is lower than back home, and given it's the south rust isn't as much of an issue on vehicles... granted we aren't looking older than 2019 for truck. I figured now might be a good time to take advantage of this, and that dealerships are hurting -- though perhaps not right by a military base.

Our budget with the trade is firmly at $40K. We are hoping to go take a look at this truck tomorrow, curious on ya'll thoughts on how much we should be able to move the price: https://www.gillandford.com/used-Ozark-2019-RAM-1500-Laramie-1C6SRFJT0KN612528

I'm not an amateur when it comes to buying cars, I intend to negotiate the vehicle sales price first, take no less than 20K for the Wrangler, and pay the rest in cash or finance through my bank if their interest rates are competitive enough.

I know that some car dealers are hurting currently. I've heard wiid figures in terms of money off brand new trucks. Our requirements are as follows: Hemi, 4x4, Crew Cab short bed, Laramie or higher level trim with 2nd equipment group and driver safety group. I would like the offroad package for the locker and full size spare. Everything else is gravy. Is it realistic for this setup new to sell for 40k? I know as configured it comes out to about 53-56.

Any issue buying a first year 5th gen? All my friends seem to love theirs, but most have 2020s.

Should I look for the eTorque, avoid it?

The pentastar is a great engine, but no way am I buying a V6 truck.

Thanks all

Mike

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of people never seem to think about the rear end ratio until after they buy a truck and start reading about the difference in the ratios and realize that they should have considered a different ratio than what they bought. It might be something you should research before you begin your search.
Jay

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO, you should be able to get a new Ram for that price. Also, in theory, you should get more for your Jeep since it's a Jeep dealer, also. At least that's what I have found. Good luck!

I have no experience with the eTorque, so I can't comment on that.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I read about people saying they're getting 30% or more off MSRP on several forums. I also know that people like to boast. I'm sure there are a few who have gotten a killer deal like that, but I'm skeptical about it. I got my 2020 Laramie, which had an MSRP of just over $58k for $49,900. Not as good as what some people are saying, but then again, I bought it right after the 2020's came out. Probably could have gotten a better deal on a 2019, but I try to avoid buying a first model year after a major redesign.

Something to consider is that you may not get as good of a deal if they know you're paying cash. It used to get you a better deal to pay cash, but that's not the case anymore. Dealerships know you probably won't opt for any of the sell-ups in the finance office if you don't finance your vehicle, which is where they make most of their money. So they will try to get the most they can from the price of the vehicle. Don't tell them you're paying cash until after you agree on a price. Then, make sure you're watching the finance officer closely, and read everything you sign to verify what you're paying. It's not unheard of for them to make a "mistake" on the purchase order after they find out they won't be getting any more from you with the up-sells.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have had two sheepdogs most of my adult life and what has been perfect is a fiberglass cap on the bed and a rubber truck mat for traction. I get the windows heavily tinted and it stays cool in the shell with the front window open and the truck completely closed up. Much safer to have the dogs in the back of the truck than in the cab and I can hose out the beach sand, etc. from the bed when needed.

A crew cab adds $3,500 to the MSRP over the identical truck with the Quad cab and so you pay a lot for the extra 9 inches of cab space. Depending on what you want to do with the truck the short bed can be a problem. With the 6.5 ft bed one can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall with the tailgate down and no issues.

In April 2020, around 544,000 light trucks were sold to customers in the United States, down from over 930,000 units in April 2019. I was looking last week in my area and found 3 2020 Ram 1500 trucks for sale with less than 4,000 miles on their odometers and selling for $31,000 by the dealers. It amounted to a 25% discount from a new truck with zero miles.

Buying any used vehicle from a private party who needs to get out from under their payments is going to save you money and you can select those trucks where the original owner is selling and where they have all the service and repairs records. People trust Carfax and it is foolish to do so.

When I was looking for a diesel pickup in 2011 I found that most of the used trucks with less than 50,000 miles were selling for $35,000 or more and that was the amount that their owners still owed to the bank. I ended up buying a new truck for $41,000 as used truck prices were inflated as a result of people paying way too much for a new truck - looking only at the monthly finance payment and not the price for the truck.

As a side note I had a 1998 Chevy Tahoe 4WD and put 180,000 miles on it before selling it. I waited three years to replace it as the new SUV's were lacking in interior cargo space. The Subaru Outback had double the cargo space of the 2018 Chevy Tahoe or Suburban trucks that had become fancy vans with 8-9 passenger seating. The 2018 Chevy Traverse had the most cargo space of any SUV available and that is what I bought. I can put down the second and third row seats and have a flat cargo bay that is large enough for our road bikes to fit inside with both their wheels left on them.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A crew cab adds $3,500 to the MSRP over the identical truck with the Quad cab and so you pay a lot for the extra 9 inches of cab space. Depending on what you want to do with the truck the short bed can be a problem. With the 6.5 ft bed one can haul 4x8 sheets of plywood or drywall with the tailgate down and no issues.
The back seat in the QC is not comfortable for large adult humans. It's fine for kids, or for short trips. But quickly becomes uncomfortable on long trips. The QC works great for you, and you benefited from the lower price. But for people like me who regularly has adults riding in the back seat, not so much. I owned QC trucks back when they were called extended cabs. And while the seating has improved a lot, it's still not quite adequate for adults. Also, I have no problems hauling 4x8 sheets of material with the tailgate down either. I've done it many times.

OP
OP
C

crazymjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looked at a few yesterday. The local dealers are less flexible with pricing on used vehicles than I hoped -- they are within 1-2K of some of the new Laramies I'm seeing offered on autotrader with similar original MSRPs.

We've become a little more flexible. Wife is ok with Level 1 option package, but we would prefer the sunroof. The dealer down the street was unwaivering from 42K for that setup with side steps and a posi and close to 20K miles. I really would prefer a front bench and the advanced safety group but it seems those are rare on Laramies, probably only if a customer traded in a custom order.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is good info....from a fellow lurker/former ram owner. Right now I'm all over the place in regards financing/leasing to what I want to get in a little over a year. My test in models is the same as you, but I'm steering clear of a quad cab even though that is what most likely the dealer will try to get you in. I made that mistake before, I won't do it again.

Used to own a Ram 1500, Current owner of a Dodge Charger scat pack

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mike,

for $40k you can get into a brand new Bighorn for sure and even probably a Laramie. The deals on these trucks have been spectacular, you just gotta be patient and look around.

I got into my 19 Bighorn last October for $38,700. MSRP on it was $52,900. Lately out of curiosity I’ve been looking to see what my truck is going for today and I saw a few that were at $37k, with some Laramies around $39k.

Good luck!

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im going to throw out my question in regards to this subject. Let me know what you think.

So as a former ram ower (currently own a beater f150...which isn't too bad) I'm going to get back into a ram at some point.

When im ready, my finances will be limited to roughly $30-32k. That will put me around the tradesman, or a light version of a bighorn ( no large 12inch screen, or sunroof..etc..) But im definately liking into some creature comforts like a sunroof. Leasing is interesting to me, because I can step up to something really nice, but the bummer is not owning it right away. If I do get something on a higher trim level, it would need to be used with low miles. The big difference here, is me paying longer for the higher trim...hope that makes sense.

For those that lease, can you negotiate the residual value that is on the lease "loan". Im just thinking long term here...because I want to make this as my last full size truck (I'm 42).

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread....i could post is on another similar thread.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
For those that lease, can you negotiate the residual value that is on the lease "loan". Im just thinking long term here...because I want to make this as my last full size truck (I'm 42).

The payoff/residual is negotiated at the time of lease signing. My last truck was a lease, and while it was nice to get into a higher trim level truck, when it comes time to finance the residual, you better be ready for the jump in payments and the uncertainty of the available interest rates. I've heard that some people have negotiated slightly, but I've read that it is a fixed amount. I was offered no incentives to buy my truck at the end of the lease.

I put about 15,000 extra miles on my last truck that was leased, which wasn't a big deal when considering the fact that I intended to buy it out anyway, but having a 3 year old truck with 72,000 miles hurt the value when I decided to upgrade to the 2500.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The payoff/residual is negotiated at the time of lease signing. My last truck was a lease, and while it was nice to get into a higher trim level truck, when it comes time to finance the residual, you better be ready for the jump in payments and the uncertainty of the available interest rates. I've heard that some people have negotiated slightly, but I've read that it is a fixed amount. I was offered no incentives to buy my truck at the end of the lease.

I put about 15,000 extra miles on my last truck that was leased, which wasn't a big deal when considering the fact that I intended to buy it out anyway, but having a 3 year old truck with 72,000 miles hurt the value when I decided to upgrade to the 2500.

Good stuff. I know my mileage will be low, but it would be the only way I would get some of those creature comforts. Good thing that I'm in no rush right now, so I can wait a while...plus who know what low mileage truck might show up at the dealer that is only a year old.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Leasing is interesting to me, because I can step up to something really nice, but the bummer is not owning it right away. If I do get something on a higher trim level, it would need to be used with low miles. The big difference here, is me paying longer for the higher trim...hope that makes sense.
Unless you're paying cash for the entire amount, you aren't really the owner until it's paid off. Just skip a couple of payments and you'll find out who the real owner is.

I think you're too young to be buying what you consider to be your last full size truck. I'm 57 and bought a truck 6 months ago, and that thought hasn't even crossed my mind at this point in my life.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have never put large adults in the back seat of my trucks. If I need to have 4 or 5 people in a vehicle I pick either my sedan or my full size SUV. My truck is for hauling or towing and so not have the short bed is more important than having less space in the rear of the cab.

Need to get what you need for your actual situation and not some theoretical construct. I pickup lumber 10 times or more a year and have 4 adults in the truck 0 times during the year. I would not spend an extra $3,500 to have 2 large adults more comfortable for going to a restaurant or grocery store or similar short trip where they might be uncomfortable for 30 minutes - heaven forbid!

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you're paying cash for the entire amount, you aren't really the owner until it's paid off. Just skip a couple of payments and you'll find out who the real owner is.

I think you're too young to be buying what you consider to be your last full size truck. I'm 57 and bought a truck 6 months ago, and that thought hasn't even crossed my mind at this point in my life.

Well it would be my last full size truck. I would buy other types of vehicles but I know that a full size truck is one of those long lasting purchases. As for the lease part (knowing that it’s not mine) ...if I decide to get something used, it would be a year maybe 2 years old. It would most likely be coming off of a lease, and I would pick that up...but the difference is that I would have the lease and know how it was driven... I can then finance to pay it off.

Passed owner of a 2012 Ram 1500

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have never put large adults in the back seat of my trucks. If I need to have 4 or 5 people in a vehicle I pick either my sedan or my full size SUV. My truck is for hauling or towing and so not have the short bed is more important than having less space in the rear of the cab.

Need to get what you need for your actual situation and not some theoretical construct. I pickup lumber 10 times or more a year and have 4 adults in the truck 0 times during the year. I would not spend an extra $3,500 to have 2 large adults more comfortable for going to a restaurant or grocery store or similar short trip where they might be uncomfortable for 30 minutes - heaven forbid!

We get it, a QC works for you. It saved you some money to not buy a CC. For me, a QC wouldn't work. My truck is used as a passenger vehicle 95% of the time, and hauling things 5%. I don't tow anything, nor do I have a full size SUV to haul people around. So a CC perfectly fits the bill. It was worth it for me, and many other people who buy them, to pay a premium compared to a QC. What makes less sense to me is to own a sedan, full-sized SUV, and full size truck. How much more did you pay for the additional vehicles? Even if they are paid off, you still have the added expense of licensing and insuring those vehicles.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none
Engine
none
WHY ARE DOGS ARE BETTER IN THE BED OF A TRUCK THAN IN A AIRBAG, SEAT PROTECTED INTERIOR ?????

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I took a 2,000 mile round trip last year in my 2005 Quad Cab, which I still own. My parents were in the back seat, and they had plenty of room. Having said that, my 2018 is a crew cab, so I have the best of both worlds.

Avoid E-torque--I've read about too many problems which negate any perceived benefits.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took a 2,000 mile round trip last year in my 2005 Quad Cab, which I still own. My parents were in the back seat, and they had plenty of room. Having said that, my 2018 is a crew cab, so I have the best of both worlds.

Avoid E-torque--I've read about too many problems which negate any perceived benefits.
Another interesting view. What kinds of problems have you heard in regards to etorque system? I'm not surprised since its the first full year of it being out.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I'm sure there are people who are perfectly content to sit in the back seat of a QC. Maybe they really are. Or maybe they just didn't want to sound like they were complaining. Or maybe they are not tall people. Or maybe I'm the only person here who isn't comfortable sitting in the back of a QC LOL. Doesn't really matter. In the end that's why we have choices. Buy what you want. If you want to save some money and don't need the full back seat then a QC is a perfect solution. If you don't need a back seat at all then a regular cab (if available) will save you even more money.

I'm in agreement with you about the etorque. I was hoping to avoid it but I was having trouble finding a truck with everything I wanted, but didn't have etorque. Ordering one takes too long, and I wanted to have a new truck before winter. So I settled on my Laramie with etorque. I haven't had any issues with it so far. But it doesn't seem to be benefiting me at all. My fuel economy is worse than the 4th gen it replaced. So I seemed to have paid extra for something which seems to do nothing to save me fuel, and could be a source of problems down the road.