Looking to de-lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmac2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This will likely be an unusual story. My mother recently married an Oregon rancher. She's 85, he 94. He still works every day feeding cattle or overseeing logging road work on his spread. Mostly alert and bright but he did do one, uhhh ... questionable thing that I'd like to help remedy.

His truck was a semi large Ford and my mom mentioned that if it had running boards, she could get in more easily. He went into town the next day and bought a Ram 2500 Heavy Duty with a 6.4 Hemi. It had running boards and a winch at the front and is a tough looking beast. Unfortunately it's so high that it's difficult to enter, running boards notwithstanding. Also vexing is that it's about an inch too high for the garage door as it currently hangs. I measured it - up to the lowest point of the garage door was real close to 80, might have been 84", I regret to admit I didn't write that down somewhere.

Was major frost on all glass every morning and he takes off early to feed livestock. Would really like to see him enjoy the two car garage.

My two trucks are a Chev G20 and Grumman step van on a GMC diesel platform. I am Dodge ignorant since my '60s era van and Omni years ago. I couldn't tell you if this model comes only in 4x4 or if the ride is aftermarket high or what. My warehouse/shop welder neighbor, a Dodge truck owner, says he thinks the winch may be after market. It already has 1500 miles on the odo and he's had it two months for light use, my thought being that it might have been a nearly new returned rig.

This one is 4wd of course and is a formidable beast. He let me drive it several miles home over Thanksgiving and urged me to get on it. Oh yeah.

Hopefully these pics will post OK, looks to me like this could be lowered 3 or 4 inches and still be a semi off road truck, and he's going to be on slightly rough roads and not much worse.

Dodge_Rm.jpg

Dodge.jpg

My question, anyone know if this can be easily accomplished with off the shelf parts? Hard for me to imagine that there aren't lower stock ride heights. Or body heights at any rate. I can only imagine that it would need to be a dealer done thing to maintain any warranty.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It looks like he bought a power wagon. If so I'm not sure if he could swap out the springs for a non power wagon model.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cmac2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm guessing the easiest route would be to trade it in while it's still young on a more appropriate model. He likes it already though, not sure if he will. I had a feeling it would be tough to swap in new suspension arrangements.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just throwing this out there for an idea, how about just upgrading the side steps...something that drops down lower?

2012 Ram 1500 quadcab
**Sent from the *********

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, sounds like a power wagon. If the winch is actually hidden behind the front bumper it is. The truck is set up to have more travel and high sitting suspension.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look into replacing the running boards with Amp research.

I have a 1500 4x4 with a 4 inch lift and 35's, and my 85 year old father in law has no problems getting in my truck.

He's not in the best of health either.

Obviously this doesn't help with the garage height... Does it have remote start by chance?
If not, that's something else that can be added..both for far less than the beating he'd take trading in a new truck.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Then the only other obstical is getting it in the garage. Like other said it looks like a power wagon. It looks like it is already on 33"s.. " I could be wrong". Unfortunately that all looks stock and lowering it would be a pain to have it done right.

you could always try going to a smaller tire.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I will help you because I am a good guy like that. I will trade you my 4wd, Regular cab 2014 straight up for the Power Wagon. :D

OP
OP
C

cmac2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, sounds like a power wagon. If the winch is actually hidden behind the front bumper it is. The truck is set up to have more travel and high sitting suspension.

The winch is behind the bumper. Is sounding more and more unlikely that this could be modified easily.

My mother already suggested the extra step that hides out of sight when not in use. Don't know what to make of this guy. Just the sweet old gentleman in most ways but he can be pretty stubborn. He paid cash for the rig but thinks that an extra $1.5 to $2K for the steps is too much.

If I was there longer, I could perhaps rig the garage door to pull back further. The part that blocks the truck is the bottom edge of the door and is very much affected by the curved track at the top of the vertical lift. Needs to have that curve to start the lift, of course.

However, in my experience garage door lifts are hard to mess with. The electronic brain has a stop and a start point in mind, and the travel time for the two are identical. I think.

This is an older unit, doesn't have the laser shut off switch at ankle height like the new ones. If I could adjust it to go back further, if there is much room for that, would definitely raise the clearance height in a hurry.

Not sure how much he is going to be interested in listening to my ideas. Raising the garage door would be the least painful idea to spring on him but it does nothing to address the difficulty of getting in. My mother is going to try carrying a stool in the truck, and have a rope on it so she can lift it up after she gets in. She can get out easily enough, she'll just leave it inside til she's ready to get back in. Oh well ...

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think there is much you can do to lower it except something custom. The aftermarket hasn't done much for the newest model, especially for lowering. It's a power wagon and they are made for offroad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cmac2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
^ Oh well, at least I know the options now. It's an unexpected spot I'm in. I didn't like her second husband but I like this guy. She's known him for 35 years, she and my dad spent time with her new hubby and late wife back when. Add to that he's well fixed. I want to help him if I can but I have to be careful about presuming how much advice I can give him.

I will help you because I am a good guy like that. I will trade you my 4wd, Regular cab 2014 straight up for the Power Wagon. :D
I had a feeling that it would seem a bit ironic for me to presume to complain about a top of the line sort of rig. It is an impressive truck. Maybe I can get the garage door to rise a couple of inches and eventually persuade him to put in the retractable steps. Who knows, my mother might offer to pay for them.

But sorry no, I'm not authorized to make any trades. :D