Looking to upgrade audio receiver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackel87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So to start off with, I am new to the dodge scene. I just bought a 2009 dodge ram 1500 bighorn. I’m looking to upgrade things here and there for my convenience. It has the toggle style(not sure on actual name) audio receiver, and looking to upgrade it with a touchscreen receiver that I can also install a back up camera to. I haul trailer for work stuff so the camera is more for convenience of seeing the hitch and not having to get in and out to get it close. Looking for suggestions or even build sheets other have used to figure the best solution. I have seen quite a few aftermarket ones while googling things but not sure on which are best and legit ones. I apologize for my inexperience on the issue. I see one’s saying android some saying CarPlay. I use a iOS iPhone for my phone so also not sure if that is a determining issue on using phone for nav or music when connecting.

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an aftermarket unit for sale with CarPlay in the for sale section .and from what I have read on crutchfield it will work for you if your interested .CarPlay is apple products android auto is for the others

akrausz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Crutchfield.com...the de facto standard place to start. They have almost everything, and if you buy a receiver from them, they supply the build sheets for you vehicle.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The internal amp went out on my 2012 head unit. I was able to replace it with a Sony unit Model Number XAVAX1000. It has Car Play but not Android Auto, which is fine with me. I also added an after market back up camera at the same time. I had Best Buy install it, they were running a special if you spent over $100 installation was free (they do this time to time). I did not add the Satellite Receiver, as I prefer local stations for news and traffic. All total I spent under $325 for everything.

This gave me better sound, a back up camera and blue tooth which I did not have prior to this. I stayed with factory speakers, and in hind sight I wish I had changed them out as well. The aftermarket backup camera is not as accurate as the OEM one, but it serves what I wanted it for which is to see behind me for any kids (grandkids) playing outside.