Loud tick on cold start 2015 ram less than 500 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sport15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is about 1 month old. I noticed a tick for 4-5 seconds at cold start. It doesn't even last long enough for me to get out and Pop the hood. It is pretty loud. I plan on bringing to dealership whenever I get a chance just wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Waste of time to take it to a dealer if you cant replicate the sound for them in person. (Unless you feel like leaving the truck with them overnite, just to hear them say they couldn't replicate it of it's nothing to worry about)

I say keep driving it. It will either get better or worse.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So soon it is likely Lifter Tick, read the syn thread and learn about Moly. Many guys including me have cured theirs with high moly oil and a high flow synthetic filter like Royal Purple filters.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sport: if it only does it at Cold start I would not be too aweful worried! Like Burla said look into an oil with a high moly content...

I myself like a good mix of both Moly/Boron as well as Zinc...

One thing to remember these engines due to design are not quiet... You will be hard pressed to find a perfectly quiet engine today...

OP
OP
S

Sport15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is quiet after the tick stops. Its a noticeable tick for about 4-5 seconds. I have to bring the truck in to get a couple things done and i will have them check it out while they have it.