loud whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Leaving work today when I started my truck I heard a loud whine, it sounded almost like the fuel pump when you first start the truck but loud enough to hear it in the cab with the windows up. I pulled over and shut the truck off an fired it back up again. It sound weird on the start up but the whine went away, any ideas

OP
OP
R

ram15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think its the starter, I talked to my dad about it and he said his Dodge did the same thing. He said the gear that engages the starter wont release so the starter just keeps turning. But it hasn't done it again s far.

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok i know this is going to sound like a lne of bull but check your power steering fluid. When mine gets low the pump will whine prety loud. First time it happened it scared the heck out of me I filled it and it stoped. That might not be your issue but it cant hurt to consider it

Needaram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get a whine when its really cold out. I thought it might be a bearing but havnt checked the power steering fluid.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Check the wife, they are known to go bad. Also yeah power steering fluid/pump.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
My power steering makes that whining noise too when it's even a little low, especially when it's cool outside or it hasnt been driven in a while. I add a couple ounces and it goes away, I read somewhere not to overfill it, so I try to keep it right at the full cold mark.
Dave