Lower ball joint-1500-2wd/coil spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F5Chaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 2wd 1500 with coil springs and need new lower control arm ball joints. I know I will need to grind/chisel out the nubs to be able to press out the ball joints. What I haven’t been able to find is a part number for the replacement ball joint. I just see a lot of numbers tossed around but nothing seems to be truly confirmed. I’m not brand picky but need to get the right part on the first try since my truck can’t be down for an extended period of time. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had new ball joints put on my '01 1500 @ 45k. Mechanic ground off rivets and installed serviceable ball joints fot $900. Dealer wanted $3200.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Air suspension? 1500? Check your upper ball joints too. They wear out too.

Note: For $102 a guy can buy Moog cast iron control arms with new ball joints

AMG_RK641504_P04_ANG.jpg

OP
OP
F

F5Chaser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No air suspension. Regular old school coil springs so I am blessed with the LCAs that are twice the price as the others.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
I know this is old but what did you end up doing? I need to replace mine

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 2wd 1500 with coil springs and need new lower control arm ball joints. I know I will need to grind/chisel out the nubs to be able to press out the ball joints. What I haven’t been able to find is a part number for the replacement ball joint. I just see a lot of numbers tossed around but nothing seems to be truly confirmed. I’m not brand picky but need to get the right part on the first try since my truck can’t be down for an extended period of time. Thanks.
Did you actually measure the free play and compare it against specs? Chrysler products are notoriously misdiagnosed when it comes to worn ball joint. There have been plenty of perfectly good joints needlessly replaced over the years. Most have an allowable amout of play but only axial, not radial.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's another ball joint post just a couple days ago (further down the main pg). Scroll down or a page or two and you should see. The guy bought Moog ball joints and replaced them. I think the model # was in his post. But yeah, make sure they *need* to be replaces as Hagar said above.

Upper ball joints seem to wear first. Make sure you check them too.

Best of luck!!

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
How can you tell if it’s enough play to replace or within spec allowed?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1) Position jack under lower control arm & raise tire off ground a couple inches,
2) Position dial indicator on horizontal machined surface of knuckle.
3) Position a 3' or 4' long board 2x4, or pry bar/device *under* the tire and pry up/down ...lifting the tire.
4) If "freeplay" exceedes .5mm (.020") of 'play', replace the ball joint (specs per the Ram manual).

:favorites13: