Lower ball joint choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
Got to replace front drivers lower ball joint. I see mixed opinions on brands. Whats a good upgrade that i won't have to change again in a few months?
Or maybe whole arm if i'm feeling lazy

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's for a DD, there are several good options. Do you want greasable or non?:

Mopar factory rep,
Moog (professional),
AC Delco's...I've had good luck with (on other vehicles).
I see a Mevotech Terrain Tough ball joint too that some guys have tried.

If it's just replacing a single bad one, your truck doesn't have a lot of miles and you don't want to grease them, I myself would probably consider the Mopar. If you have a lift then you might want an off-set. I think any of the 'good ones' will work fine for normal DD use.

OP
OP
B

Bingo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Quad Cab Sport
If it's for a DD, there are several good options. Do you want greasable or non?:

Mopar factory rep,
Moog (professional),
AC Delco's...I've had good luck with (on other vehicles).
I see a Mevotech Terrain Tough ball joint too that some guys have tried.

If it's just replacing a single bad one, your truck doesn't have a lot of miles and you don't want to grease them, I myself would probably consider the Mopar. If you have a lift then you might want an off-set. I think any of the 'good ones' will work fine for normal DD use.
No it doesn't have many miles about 50k. I read people having fitment issues with the greaseable ones, that they can't always get access to grease nipple once its installed. Slight rise on front prob 2inch

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Moog all the way and they come with grease fittings.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....No it doesn't have many miles about 50k.

I would go with a mopar direct replacement then (personally speaking). A lot of guys are not particularly good at routine maintenance. If you do all your own, and know they'll get greased (same grease everytime) then greasable is great. But otherwise I'd go non. There are tons of vehicles with 200k+ mi on non-greasable balljoints so...they definitely last. My Ram has 173k mi on it and they are still good. On my Hummer H3 I bought all new AC Delco ball joints and upper control arms (they were bad). When I went to replace them the lower B/J's the studs were still 'tight'. So I left them ..for now.

At the other end of the spectrum is you take it to a shop for an oil change and some guy puts a few pumps of grease in it. You may not even know he greased it or what kind of grease he put in it. Grease bases aren't all compatible and some can make other's 'watery' where they lose their lubricity. That shortens ball joint life.

Years ago I took an older vehicle to a shop for some work that had nothing to do with oil work (I think it was exhaust) ...and they pumped all the zerks full of a white lithium grease. Yeah, the greases didn't mix well. I had to pump all new grease through them. If an owner only takes his vehicles to a dealer, they all use the specified Mopar grease ...so that shouldn't be a problem. But let's say you're on the road and a heater hose breaks and xyz shop replaces it and 'does you a favor' and greases your truck (assuming it had greasable joints). You've always used a certain type grease and they put in some green $1.50 a tube grease ... then it's a wait-n-see game.

Last edited: