Lower strut bolt removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeMyselfAndMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have the entire front end on my truck unbolted trying to replace my struts and I can not for the life of me get the lower bolt out. Any one have any tips. I'm totally screwed at the moment. The whole bushing is spinning with the bolt right now.

ybnormal70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, guess an 06 has a different setup than my 03.

L8r,

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
OP
MeMyselfAndMyRam

MeMyselfAndMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Strut.jpg

#6 is the bolt in question
#7 is the bushing

I gave up for the day started raining:flipthebird:. Does anybody know if you can buy the just the bolt and bushing? That is if I can get the Fing thing out.:superhack:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Split the nut using a chisel....

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its usually only a matter of leverage. I say use some pb blaster and then find the longest breaker bar you can or go to home depot and buy a length of metal tubing and slide that over the socket wrench. Thus will allow you to use your weight. I had to do exactly this to get my break calipers off. Good luck.

OP
OP
MeMyselfAndMyRam

MeMyselfAndMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everything just spins. I don't mind getting a new bolt but I DO NOT want to ruin the bushing. As of right now I cant find the bushing or a lower control arm anywhere.

I think THIS might be the bushing but i'm not sure.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that bolt is held on with a nut. I Just had mine out yesteday. The bolt is 21mm and the nut is 24 mm. then it gets torqued to 155 ft. lbs when you put it back together.

98sporttj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 QCSB 4X4
Engine
4.7L
i had the same problem with mine the only place to get the bushing is from dodge... and last i checked they are on national back order... u just tryin to do a level or tryin to change the strut... i ran in to these problems doin the level.. i just took a big pry bar and spun the top plate 180*... when i go to change my struts im gonna order the bolts and bushings from dodge and then get to cutting the bolt out...im sorry u have the same problems but this is all i got

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i don't think you would have to cut it out. It is not threaded in there. I know both of mine backed out like it was threaded but when we put them back in they just slid all the way back though. Maybe try pushing it out from the nut side?

OP
OP
MeMyselfAndMyRam

MeMyselfAndMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried all of the above. Impact, air chisel, brute hulk like strength nothin would let that bolt loose without tearing up the bushing. I ended up ordering both lower control arms and new bolts from the dealer.

My plan is to just pull the lower control arm and the strut as one unit. We will see how that goes #fingerscrossed

OP
OP
MeMyselfAndMyRam

MeMyselfAndMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i had the same problem with mine the only place to get the bushing is from dodge... and last i checked they are on national back order... u just tryin to do a level or tryin to change the strut... i ran in to these problems doin the level.. i just took a big pry bar and spun the top plate 180*... when i go to change my struts im gonna order the bolts and bushings from dodge and then get to cutting the bolt out...im sorry u have the same problems but this is all i got

Putting in Rancho "Aint nothing quick about it" lift struts. My old ones were leaking bad. Good luck to you and be prepared to buy the whole lower control arm I wasn't able to find just that bushing even from the dealer.

AFrame

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ceased Lower Strut Bolt

I just went thru this process where my bolt was completely frozen. I tried all the lubricants, heating it, impact hammer drill, sledge Hammer. I had new struts so I went ahead and cut the bolts and struts out. Then I replaced the bushing in the A Arm. Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot get this part. I ordered it from NAPA Auto parts. I replaced both sides.

Bushing 32.99 each
Bolt and Nut (Dodge Dealer) 15.00 bolt and 5.00 for the nut each
I relaced my struts with Monroe complete strut system for 165.00 each

kram212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
bushing

Hi . I also cut the bolt off and removed the strut. Now i have to replace the bushing. Did you pull the a arm and use a press? I don't think a ball joint press would fit. i can cut out the bushing but how about the install?
Mark

Greatdane66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what worked for me and I didn't destroy the bushings or replace the full control arm: a ball joint press. FYI I was taking swings with a full size sledge hammer at these bolts as if I was chopping down a tree and they wouldn't break free.

You'll have to be creative with the setup but if you're doing this repair yourself then I'm sure you will be fine. There is a lot of trial and error.

First off though, before trying to hammer the bolts out, tape a socket to the threaded end of the bolt, pretty sure it is a 10mm on the one end. This way you won't destroy the bolt and when you go to use the press you'll have a flat surface to press on. The issue when trying to hammer the bolt out is that the bushing absorbs the shock of the hit and the bolt and sleeve move together. When using the press, you have to figure out a way to hold the sleeve while putting pressure on the bolt. The shackle of the shock has a small enough opening that it will hold the sleeve still for the first few cranks until the shackle itself starts to bend. At this point I cut the shackle off the shock, removed the shock and spring, and then used a crescent wrench in between the bolt head and the sleeve in order to start applying pressure again through the ball joint press. You'll probably wreck a crescent wrench in this process as well.

I was only able to press the bolt half way out until the ball joint press I had started to strip itself, so I cut the bolt head off as close to the bushing as I could, flipped the press the other way and then pressed out the bolt from the bushing in the opposite direction. Filed the inner sleeve, replaced the bolt, installed the shocks and called it a day. :flipthebird:

kram212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
bushings

Thank you. i did the press and ended up mushrooming the bushing. But the good part was i really needed to replace the lower ball joints. got a pair of lower a frames for $180.00 . did the whole shebang. no more lane hoping.:superhack: