Lowering via Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cody4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok we all know the 5100 height adjustable can raise the front of your ram but I want to drop it an inch or so in the front...how hard is it to machine a lower grove in the shock body identical like the upper groves? Any foreseeable downside to this and has anyone actually done it??

My reasoning behind this is to maintain suspension travel and the nice comfy ride but my wife has a hard time climbing in and I don't really like running boards/side steps. I figure if I can improve the center of gravity and handling due to higher quality shocks and make her happy it's a win win.
I'd cut my rear coils 2"-3" or buy drop springs to level it out.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
For a QC, CC or RC?

I lowered mine 2" in the rear, it helped, but a Belltech 2/4 really made it easier for her to get in, plus, looks better IMHO. :)

OP
OP
C

cody4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
14 Quad cab 4x4. Only off the shelf kit I've seen is ground force and for $800 with mediocre shocks it doesn't seem like a good value

Pigeonman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wonder if Groundforce would sell just the springs and you could just use your stock shocks?

OP
OP
C

cody4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
has anyone machined a lower groove in the bilstein's? I thought I saw a member on here mention it in an older post but I cant find it now. I also thought about a set of the fox coilovers but they seem to only adjust height up not down.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
One person has machined a lower groove before and it worked just fine with the stock springs. If you want to bring the rear down 3" you can call GF and order the rear springs separately, that's how I got just my front springs, but to save yourself some money, I'd order the 2" rear drop springs from McGaughy's, they'll net you a 3" drop on a 4wd, I trimmed 3 coils off them to get my 6" drop.

OP
OP
C

cody4130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I think a combination of the two methods may work for me.

So far in my reading there is no downside to just cutting the first few coils off the rear springs since they are touching anyway. Am I correct?

Seems like cutting 2 coils off the rear and machining a groove about .75" down on the bilsteins should give me what I'm looking for.
Improved handling, same or better ride quality, and easier entry.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, no problem cutting the top two coils off the rear springs.