MAG HYTEC - transmission and differential covers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Hello,

My 2500 SLT 4x4 Diesel is on order and I am looking at the Mag Hytecs for the transmission and differentials. My question is - would these covers allow me to change the differentials without removing them - drain and fill or would you still need to take them off to change differential fluids? I know the tranny Mag would need to come off in order to replace the filter.

The covers for all three are about $1000. If I could do my own differentials easily and without a mess might be worth it - not to mention the benefit of more fluid as well.

Thanks,

Mark

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

The covers for all three are about $1000. If I could do my own differentials easily and without a mess might be worth it - not to mention the benefit of more fluid as well.

Thanks,

Mark

You can do it easily for the front and rear diff by yourself.

You can buy an electric pump and pump out and then use a syringe type pump to put it in.

Or just get a syringe type pump to pump it out and in. You also need 18" of 1/2" clear plastic tubing that fits into the syringe plastic tube to get the fluid out. You stick the 1/2" to the bottom of the gears.

I got a diff cover for the rear and use the syringe method in the front.

You could also add a drain hole to the factory trans pan and drain it yourself.

You can save $950!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Quote: “You could also add a drain hole to the factory trans pan and drain it yourself.“

Dexter: Have you physically done this to yours?

If so what brand of aftermarket drain plug did you use?

I have read about so many horrid stories & reviews of the B&W being of poor quality & leaking.
I would much rather do this instead of spending $240-$280 for a aftermarket pan.

But in my mind it is ignorance doing this mod with So Many Horror Stories of drips / leaks after install.

Otherwise I’m going with the PPE.

AE99FE84-636B-47D7-9A2F-5A2B65B39109.jpeg

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Quote: “You could also add a drain hole to the factory trans pan and drain it yourself.“

Dexter: Have you physically done this to yours?

If so what brand of aftermarket drain plug did you use?

I have read about so many horrid stories & reviews of the B&W being of poor quality & leaking.
I would much rather do this instead of spending $240-$280 for a aftermarket pan.

But in my mind it is ignorance doing this mod with So Many Horror Stories of drips / leaks after install.

Otherwise I’m going with the PPE.

View attachment 128510

Yes ... Do it right and no problems.

I don't remember the brand. There are only a couple of brands.

You can do it. Hardest part is drilling the hole.

Check YouTube.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Noticed: Some install with RTV / Most do not.
I think if I chose to go this route - I will use the permatex (Black) RTV.
I will let the RTV set up & dry for at least 12-16 hrs before adding ATF.

Still scratching my Nutz on this!

Still have the thinking in the back of my mind: My uncles end results with his 68RFE after the installation of the PPE pan & total fill of Schaeffers All-Trans.
During decent medium/heavy towing he witnessed a drop in trans temp from 9 - 13°F.

This will definitely be my last tow vehicle so there will be No skimping.
I’ll do what I think is best at the end of the day!

Last edited:

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Noticed: Some install with RTV / Most do not.
I think if I chose to go this route - I will use the permatex (Black) RTV.
I will let the RTV set up & dry for at least 12-16 hrs before adding ATF.

Still scratching my Nutz on this!

Still have the thinking in the back of my mind: My uncles end results with his 68RFE after the installation of the PPE pan & total fill of Schaeffers All-Trans.
During decent medium/heavy towing a drop in trans temp ranging from 9 - 13°F.

I’ll do what I think is best at the end of the day!

You have a 2017? I think the recommended trans fluid change is 60K if you tow a lot.

You have time.

Sarah Nunez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you get the Mag Hytech? if so did you have to buy adaptors for the sway bar?