Magnaflow: From Single ---> True Dual Exhaust. Need opinions and parts list please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should change the tone of it also so there is another plus to it.

Cool. I hope for the better.

Do you think I will feel any difference? Or would I loose anything on the low end to gain on the top end?

Sorry for all the dumb questions

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably won't feel any difference but IIRC people were getting a deeper sound after the install.

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
no such thing as a dumb ? here...it would be dumb not to ask cuz someone here has done the same thing at some point in time and can let you know what has or hasn't worked so you don't make that same mistake...that being said for something as small at a Y pipe i can't see it making much of a difference in gains or losses, especially in a NA truck...i think the most that will happen is you might hear a difference...maybe someone has dynoed their truck before and after a y-pipe install but i doubt that lol

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bypassed the Y swap altogether to do the duals, but I could definately see where it could make some power. The stock Y is so bottlenecked and smashed up that anything with an open smooth transition would be a 100% improvement. If doing the Y, I would also look into having your exhaust guy remake the piping from the drivers side cat to the Y. Crawl up under your truck and have a peek. It is squashed to half of the ID! It is not expensive to have done and would be a good thing as well. Whole thing should cost around $100-$150 with the new piping and the Y install. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do. Take a look at te piping where it crosses over to the passenger side. I am sure that the sight of it will make up your mind to change it haha. I cant believe Ram put it out like that!

Randon User

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That pipe is nowhere near "smashed" to half it's ID. It's flattened on top and can move more than enough volume for a bolt on truck. Exaggerations don't help anyone make an educated decision. The factory Y is another story, it is in fact pretty ugly inside. Replacing it with something with a smoother transition definitely won't hurt anything.

gunner1374

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That pipe is nowhere near "smashed" to half it's ID. It's flattened on top and can move more than enough volume for a bolt on truck. Exaggerations don't help anyone make an educated decision. The factory Y is another story, it is in fact pretty ugly inside. Replacing it with something with a smoother transition definitely won't hurt anything.

Exaggerations? ID is very much cut down from where it should be. A bottleneck in the flow is a bottleneck! He can look at it and make his own decisions. Whether it is "smashed" or not is your opinion vs mine. I am trying to help another member out and nothing more. :flipthebird:

Randon User

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A couple of things that need to be understood. Just because you "smash" an exhaust pipe it doesn't necessarily hinder flow. That's the most important thing and it only applies to a point. Ovaled tubing can flow exactly the same as round tubing. Once yo pinch it beyond oval then you have issues of course, the pipe in question is nowhere near that point.
The other thing is, that pipe only flows 1/2 of the volume the engine needs to expel. For a bolt on truck, that "smashed" pipe is absolutely 100% fine. Leaving it won't hurt anything just like changing it won't add anything. It's more than capable for his mods.

FWIW there are numerous calculators online for calculating the exhaust CFM needed for any engine. Do the math, divide it by 2, compare to the stock size tubing and see what you'll learn. You'll need intake CFM also, but that's an easy calculation too based off of engine displacement and RPM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool! You guys are really passionate! I love it! :)

I think you guys have convinced me to buy a different truck! Lmao! j/k

There is a muffler guy down here that does alot of performance stuff. I am gonna start with the Y pipe and see what other kinda trouble I can get myself in to while the truck is on the rack. ;)

The nice thing is that eveything is reversible and inexpensive, so if I don't like it I can change it...

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Hell bro call me and I'll run my truck threw some RPM's for you. I love it !!!

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Parts list
2 O2 simulators
X Pipe
2 maggy I'll have to get you the part number...

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
if your still doing the Y pipe its 3" in and 3" out as far as i know....but it sounds like you are going with true duals :grd:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I vote keep it as is...

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
i thought it was 3" inlet to 2.5 in outlet on the muffler for the Y pipe i think its 3" to 3" ?

petesnchz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RAM EXPRESS SINGLE CAB
Engine
I have jba shorties as we'll and I live in cali so no long tubes for me either. I was also thinking about the y pipe but then I thought why not keep the stock mid pipe together and just make a new cat less mid pipe with a new y pipe. When it's time to smog just swap the original back on for the test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
From the cats the pipe is 2.5" than the y pipe into a single 3" pipe

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
okay gotchya...that makes sense the first time with you putting the 3" to 2.5 duals had me thinking you were talking about the muffler but i get it now...sorry for the bad information david