Magnuson Or Edelbrock Supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been researching and looking into superchargers for my truck since the day i bought it. Unfortunately it took some time for tuning to catch up to my needs. But it finally did, and I finally found a shop nearby that handles high end custom tuning. So with all that said, I now am going to buy one of these two systems* and install it. Then I will get her tuned up and back on the road. I almost went the STS turbo route, but I love the sound of my truck too much to replace my growl with a turbo whine. :)

My truck screams once it hits around 3,500 RPMs, but until then, its a real dog. I added all the bolt ons and a custom tune, and they have helped out quite a bit. But they really haven't helped my low end much. The LT headers really perked up the truck, but as expected they didn't help my low end TQ problem at all. The goal here is to shore up the lack of low end TQ with a twin screw application. Im not looking to set world land speed records with my daily driver here. Just wanting to make this truck a bit quicker in the low RPMs. I don't want to have to downshift and wrap out my engine to get going.

So I have looked into the Edelbrock E Force system, and it looks very well designed, and uses the Eaton Rotors, which is a good thing. The only reason I'm asking about the Magnuson system is because the tuner deals them and said good things. I know they make a system for the 2009-2010 models, *but he is finding out if they even can get something that will work for me. I researched them a bit and it looks as though they are using the same Eaton Rotors. Actually without learning more about the system, Im of the mind to say that they are very similar in design and performance. Thats a complete guess and I could totally be wrong there. But they utilize the same rotors with the same degree of rotation, they are both air to water intercooler with stock internal bypass valves. Ect ect, the list goes on. If they can't get a system to work for my truck, then this question could be a waste of time. But either way, I wanted to see if some of the folks here that are supercharged could chime in with any experiences that might help me out. I know a lot of the guys up to 2010 run the RIPP system, and i have seen a bunch of prochargers as well. But the centrifugal route is not my thing. I feel great about the high rpm power already.

So is anybody out there running either of these two systems? And if so, are you digging it?

Im excited to get this done. I have always wanted a supercharged truck. Weird goal, yes. Especially if you knew my history with automobiles. But regardless, a goal is a goal. haha.

Thanks ahead of time for any helpful advise. :favorites13:

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Budget at least $4k for a custom built trans and a good triple disc torque converter.

I've killed 4 transmissions since August 2013

I'm installing my 5th transmission this weekend.
...and that's with a transmission friendly centrifugal Ripp Vortech blower,
not a screw/roots type, known to be a low end torque tranny eater.

Two of my roasted transmissions were bone stock, two custom built for boost.

Gotta Pay to play.
So dont do it unless you have DEEP pockets and a dependable second vehicle to drive during down time.

My Ram has seen less than 1000 miles in the last 12 months,
blower was removed and returned to stock tuning after the last failure three weeks ago.

My buddy just roasted his custom built trans last weekend, (also Ripp'd 2010 Ram)
Had to trailer it home from the track, and it only made about 8 passes over a two week span before it puked.
We took it back to stock on Sunday.

deadram_zpsdcf47e7c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks man. Yeah, I realize that, and have already taken the necessary steps to move forward accordingly.

I am not gonna be racing this truck, so Im hoping to get a few months out of the current trans. But when it goes, oh well. As you said, you have to pay to play.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I only lost my first trans (stock original) at the track,
all others died on street, not even "racing", never even made it to the track.

If you have the power, you will use it and you will pay dearly for it, track or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hearing you loud and clear. Again, I appreciate the advise. Im all set in that department. I trust my restraint. I do have other reliable means of transportation when it is necessary. If I really want to go crazy fast and abuse something, I will drive something a bit different than my Daily driver RAM truck. I will not be taking this to a track or driving it hard.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have been researching and looking into superchargers for my truck since the day i bought it. Unfortunately it took some time for tuning to catch up to my needs. But it finally did, and I finally found a shop nearby that handles high end custom tuning. So with all that said, I now am going to buy one of these two systems* and install it. Then I will get her tuned up and back on the road. I almost went the STS turbo route, but I love the sound of my truck too much to replace my growl with a turbo whine. :)

My truck screams once it hits around 3,500 RPMs, but until then, its a real dog. I added all the bolt ons and a custom tune, and they have helped out quite a bit. But they really haven't helped my low end much. The LT headers really perked up the truck, but as expected they didn't help my low end TQ problem at all. The goal here is to shore up the lack of low end TQ with a twin screw application. Im not looking to set world land speed records with my daily driver here. Just wanting to make this truck a bit quicker in the low RPMs. I don't want to have to downshift and wrap out my engine to get going.

You need a Quality High Stall Torque Converter, about 3000-3200 rpm
to get past the 1200-3500 RPM where you are currently bogging.

Spend that money first (you'll need it eventually anyway)
and it may save you a crap load of money ($1000 vs $10,000)

OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perhaps you did misunderstand. Let me try and help out. Maybe try to reread the original post, rather than me retyping it in its entirety, then we can start again :)

Im looking to help my low end tq. Thats about it. Not for looks. For low end tq. I have already added a tq converter. As stated before, I have already added all the bolt ons. I guess I should have been specific and stated each one. That probably would have helped you and anyone else reading.

I understand the transmission issues as I have already dealt with some at this point. I am prepared both mentally and financially to deal with any more as they arise.

Your point is valid, well made, and very well understood. Thank you again for the feedback. Im hoping for more advise from folks like you that have experience with FI. And hopefully it will be something that I am not prepared for. This is going to be new territory for me, and any help is much appreciated.

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Budget at least $4k for a custom built trans and a good triple disc torque converter.

Gotta Pay to play.
So dont do it unless you have DEEP pockets and a dependable second vehicle to drive during down time.

blower was removed and returned to stock tuning after the last failure three weeks ago.

My buddy just roasted his custom built trans last weekend, (also Ripp'd 2010 Ram)
Had to trailer it home from the track, and it only made about 8 passes over a two week span before it puked.

deadram_zpsdcf47e7c.jpg

I cannot believe that you're still going through transmissions... I remember reading about your custom built trans and thinking "That thing is going to be impossible to break".

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Going back to stock if this trans fails, like many others before me.
I'm hoping a new shift kit/valve body makes the difference this time, along with a couple other mods.
I found a local trans builder that does mostly 68RFE's so he's Beefin things up for me.

Just thankful my Hemi is still okay,
Some Ripp owners have reported cracked blocks and bent valves on other boards.

Last edited:

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
I would do a Magnuson...

Or Nitrous cures all low end torque problems!!

ericlee9386

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Gotta Pay to play.

deadram_zpsdcf47e7c.jpg

Dam that sucks. Is he shipping his trans back to mike as well? An did he ever get the trans tune from mike?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Dam that sucks. Is he shipping his trans back to mike as well? An did he ever get the trans tune from mike?

Brad had his tune last Fall, way before we even installed the trans.
unlike mine,
My Ripp tune sent to MGH to add his trans tuning August 4th 2013,
trans tune was finally added and sent back to me Nov.18th, long after the damage was already done.

Brad had his tune, broke his L&M trans in slowly for over 400 miles driving it like a granny,
so this was a complete shock to both of us. Pump filter totally clogged, almost no line pressure, temps hit 250º
and boiling ATF fluid puked out of the dip stick tube all over his headers and smokin like a SOB.

MGH said to drop it off with the guy who's rebuilding my L&M trans right now,
(Rob at Iconic Driveline Solutions) after he talked to him on the phone,
to see WTF happened rather than ship it both ways 1000 miles. He may pay for the damage, not sure yet.

I wanted to send mine to Mike for re-build but got totally hassled at FedEx International shipping with a pile of paper work
and decided to just pay a local guy to rebuild it out of my own pocket, since it was partially my fault.
(no tune, no quick learn, not a long enough break in, and a **** pour attempt to rebuild it myself on Mikes advice)

Mike asked if I was willing to try and re-build mine myself if he sent the parts,(fresh OD frictions)
Tried and it failed due to a misaligned bearing, over heated and bearing shrapnel tore it up bad!

My new rebuild is very similar to the L&M build specs, many 68RFE parts,
plus a shift kit added and a few other details I can't share.
He cuts/cleans the Torque Converter too, does a Quick Learn flash,
and best of all...Local Warranty is good for 3 years/100k.

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Edlebrock has that nice motor warranty and that would make me look long and hard about buying theirs.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Kelli,

If I may suggest if all your looking for is more low end torque you may want to consider cam timing. A lot cheaper and easier. 4 degrees this way or that can make a big difference as when torque comes in.
In any case Edelbrock has a strong rep. Can't say much about Magnusson because I don't know much about them.
JMHO
HAve fun and enjoy,

preachp

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Have friends that work for both manufactures, they said you really need a good tranny for either supercharger...they are both great nice pieces, but expect to spend more elsewhere.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Have friends that work for both manufactures, they said you really need a good tranny for either supercharger...they are both great nice pieces, but expect to spend more elsewhere.

Looking in this thread, even a good tranny won't help you...lol

nolimits76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do some serious research before you commit to either camp. Also, you might consider hanging out on some alternate forums that get into more technical information. One of my Challenger forums has gear heads galore that are running Maggies, KB’s, twin turbos, etc. There is TONS of good info there. If you are interested, shoot me a PM.

FYI, the Magnuson (aka Maggies) are some of the best and most reliable superchargers out there. There major downfall is they are somewhat small (2.4) and eventually you will top out if you start running considerable boost (14+ psi). Of course, on a stock 5.7 block you better not be running more than 8psi (on a consistent basis) unless you want to replace it. Many of the Maggies come with a 6psi setup. Some of the Arrington kits include different sized pulleys and fuel systems to allow you to run 8psi.

The Edelbrocks are a ******* child in the Challenger world. For that reason, I never paid much attention to them. Ugly and the really fast guys simply weren’t pushing them. But they were normally a little cheaper.

My weakness was the Kenne Belles. Hard to beat the look. And they come in a 2.8 and 3.2 variety so future growth is available if you need it. Things I don’t like about KB is their attitude. Just go read their website. They may be great, but their heads are pretty inflated. Other thing is people continuously show IAT’s to be higher on KB’s. Many guys acknowledge this, but frankly they make such good power they still rock when accounting for the higher IAT’s. Of course, KB won’t officially agree with that statement. Lastly, many of their kits come with the “boost-a-pump” fuel solution. It’s a device that you wire up to your fuel pumps to push more fuel. Theoretically it works when wired correctly, but lots of people have failures because they don’t it right. If you go KB, then IMO you also run a true fuel pump upgrade with it.

Another anxiously awaited new comer is Whipple. They are so pretty new and I don’t know much about them other than they are supposed to be the best of several different worlds.

All in all, I would be talking to a shop that really knows their **** before I allowed them access to my engine bay. AJ at Arrington is one solution and push the Maggies aggressively. Tim Murphy at MPH (formerly Mr. Norm’s) is excellent as well and a huge KB supporter. BFNY is more of an independent guy that has glowing reviews.

Remember…when thinking of a supercharger, you need to be thinking of where you want to be in the future. That ultimately drives your decisions and upgrades. Also, having a good tuner is an absolutely must. I know a few of those guys too. In fact, if you don’t have a custom tune yet (not the Hemifever “custom” tunes that is sold to every guy) then that may alleviate your low end torque problem, depending how much further you want to go.

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man I wish I had the 6500 to plunk down on the Edelbrock kit. It claims 441tq at the rear wheel which according to the 15-16% losses on other 8spds that have been dynoed, would be a few lbft shy of the 8hp70's limit. I can't even imagine this truck with 421rwhp/441rwtq.