Magnuson Or Edelbrock Supercharger?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You guys ever make it up to the Tulsa Raceway Park?

Yes sir, run Radial Revenge, some Mokan, etc....missed Throw Down in T Town, but will be there for fall event.

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
go to youtube and type in sharadon performance and look for the yellow rumble bee...the truck is insane

Yup, that's my truck. Sharadon built 6.4, Cammotion cam, custom closed chamber 5.7 heads, Paxton 1500 blower, non intercooled, w/m, Superchips 3815 with an SMT6 for tuning. Transmission and valve body built by me, Edge 3800 stall, 1-2 shift point 6100 rpm, 2-3 at 5950 and rev limit at 6300. Leaves the line with 8 psi of boost and peg's the gauge at 15 psi.

Hemi RumbleBee - YouTube

OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I should start a sub thread that states Im prepared transmission wise for this. Lol. In any case, I will state again as I have three times in this thread, I understand completely that my transmission will likely break at some point due to the power added by FI. The depth of my pockets is adequate for this venture. Fortunately, I'm not spending my last dime to install a SC in one of my daily drivers. I assumed that my intention to do such a ridiculous thing would most likely indicate that money wasn’t necessarily an issue. Though i think its extremely crass to state such, I feel the need to do so after hearing that ‘’my pockets should be deep’’ as many times as I have.

I will also state that any mechanically sound transmission should last as long as you want it to, depending on how you drive. If you're (i guess I will use quotations here..) "racing", or taking your truck to a track to run the eighth or quarter mile, then i would guess the transmission might not last quite as long as it would otherwise. If you are driving under part throttle and simply want more power so that you don't have to cram the gas to achieve your desired acceleration, then your transmission might last for as long as you own the vehicle. Part throttle in a vehicle with 500 hp is relative to WOT in a vehicle with substantially less HP. Here is an example... If I'm driving a new Vette, and my best friend is in his Prius, when he crams the gas, I can take it easy in the Vette and still outrun him. Does that mean that the Vette is working harder to beat the Prius? No it does not. And though the Prius loses the race, its still working harder and taxing its mechanicals. And with that explanation, I hope I have made my intentions a bit clearer. Those would be MY true intentions. I understand this may be difficult to understand for some people. But again, if I really wanted to just cram a gas pedal and go super fast, I wouldn't be getting in my RAM truck. I simply want to gain hp and tq so that I DONT HAVE to cram the pedal for any kind of decent acceleration. Again, I realize that this is a bit opposite of what most of you think the goal would be. But this is a big crazy world with many different folks in it. And some of those people may not think exactly as you do. I do my best to respect that because I never know who I am speaking to, or what that person has been through and experienced in their life. Especially when Im typing on a computer to someone that I don't know and have never met. Im a friendly person by nature and its so easy for things to be misinterpreted due to the fact that tone is difficult to establish when reading a text. So let me be clear that I am not attacking anyone, or angry in any way. Im sure most of the folks in this forum are nice people simply trying to help, and I appreciate that. Ive benefited many times from asking questions here. So thank you to anyone who is actually trying to help me and not parrot issues that have already been discussed and made clear. I understand this is an open forum, and its a crapshoot when asking advise from strangers, but I guess I was hoping to get a bit more from the effort. Not a thread on something else entirely (my transmission). My apologies for the long post.

Cheers :favorites13:

OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnuson all the way. The only issue that I've seen is that the intercooler is too close to the bottom of the manifold (3/8" clearance) which restricts the air flow and also creates unwanted heat. I know a guy who makes phenolic spacers just for the Hemi/Magnuson combo which come in 1/2" or 1" thicknesses and with all the engine room in a Ram you could also stack them to your desired thickness. These spacers have been proven to drop air temps in the LS world.

As far as a transmission? A stock transmission will hold to around 400 rwhp before you will need an upgrade. A transmission tune? Stay away...far away when boosted. My best luck has been with Superchips and is just used to raise my shift points, rev limit and tire size.

Are you talking about the RDS spacer? I just got done checking those out. Looked like a great idea. :)

And thank you for the advise. I may PM you for some more info if you don't mind. :naughty:

OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, that's my truck. Sharadon built 6.4, Cammotion cam, custom closed chamber 5.7 heads, Paxton 1500 blower, non intercooled, w/m, Superchips 3815 with an SMT6 for tuning. Transmission and valve body built by me, Edge 3800 stall, 1-2 shift point 6100 rpm, 2-3 at 5950 and rev limit at 6300. Leaves the line with 8 psi of boost and peg's the gauge at 15 psi.

Hemi RumbleBee - YouTube

That, Sir, is an amazing truck. Nicely done!

:winner_first_h4h:

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7

Hemi RumbleBee - YouTube

That's a killer truck!!

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
Are you talking about the RDS spacer? I just got done checking those out. Looked like a great idea. :)

And thank you for the advise. I may PM you for some more info if you don't mind. :naughty:

The spacer was designed and fabbed up by RDS when a 2010 Magnuson supercharged Ram came in to Sharadon's for some work. The Hemi spacer was made in hopes that the LX crowd might be interested in it and cut to a 1/2" thickness due to strut bar clearance. Ray from RDS can make it 1" thick if needed. He does have all the before/after dyno sheets he obtained when he design one and installed it for his Magnuson supercharged Suburban. With the intercooler raised off the plenum floor it indeed cooled the boosted air substantially and made some extra power, but unfortunately the Ram was never dyno'd. I can have you get in touch with him if you like and he is also lives close by.

OP
OP
K

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The spacer was designed and fabbed up by RDS when a 2010 Magnuson supercharged Ram came in to Sharadon's for some work. The Hemi spacer was made in hopes that the LX crowd might be interested in it and cut to a 1/2" thickness due to strut bar clearance. Ray from RDS can make it 1" thick if needed. He does have all the before/after dyno sheets he obtained when he design one and installed it for his Magnuson supercharged Suburban. With the intercooler raised off the plenum floor it indeed cooled the boosted air substantially and made some extra power, but unfortunately the Ram was never dyno'd. I can have you get in touch with him if you like and he is also lives close by.

That would be great man. I would love to talk with him. I read a lot of rave reviews concerning this. Lowering IATs is never a bad thing. And if it makes a bit more power, then even better. :) Maybe we can get some dyno numbers for a RAM. :naughty:

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Going back to stock if this trans fails, like many others before me.
I'm hoping a new shift kit/valve body makes the difference this time, along with a couple other mods.
I found a local trans builder that does mostly 68RFE's so he's Beefin things up for me.

Just thankful my Hemi is still okay,
Some Ripp owners have reported cracked blocks and bent valves on other boards.

Just wondering if it is possible to go with a turbo 400 and a gear venders overdrive on your truck? Seen 1000 hp viper with this tranny and over drive.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well looks like i might have to take a trip to slippery rock (rockfalls raceway) its only like an hour and a half from where i live!!!

Lol you're not kidding, that's the first strip I went to years ago, then cedar falls, awesome grip there. My favorite tended to be tri-state in earlville always got my best times there, it's been awhile since I took anything down a dragstrip though

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi

Hemi RumbleBee - YouTube

how often do you run at slippery rock? I'm like an hour n 15 mins south of eau claire but i haven't been there in almost 2 years...most the time i go to great lakes dragaway i just like their set up better and you get a ton of guys from CHI town there with TONS of money and 6 second cars and they hook up!

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
how often do you run at slippery rock? I'm like an hour n 15 mins south of eau claire but i haven't been there in almost 2 years...most the time i go to great lakes dragaway i just like their set up better and you get a ton of guys from CHI town there with TONS of money and 6 second cars and they hook up!

I don't go to the Rock unless its for a TnT session. Track prep is hit or miss there so if I decide to race its usually a trip to Cedar Falls.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're and hour and 15 south of Eau Claire you're right in my neighborhood.