Massive DEF issues dealers cannot fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluesky69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.9 Cummins Diesel
I have a fleet of 30 trucks, and started purchasing Dodge Ram 5500 6.9 Cummins diesels in 2012-13. I have a total of 8 of those trucks currently. Each and every one have and/or are having MAJOR malfunctions with the DEF/Emission systems, typically start at around 80K miles, and gradually worsen up to about the 170K mile range, when they become unreliable, shut down, and cannot be utilized in my business. Of the 8 total I own, so far 6 have had the same issues, the other two are still below the seemingly "magic" miles of 75-80K and have not had the major issues.

I have taken these trucks to the two Dodge truck dealers in my area, one of them, after having my truck in their shop for over 60 days total during an 8 week period, and gouging my for over $15K in repair costs (which did NOT solve the issue at all), finally put out a letter stating that effective immediately, they would no longer be serving or repairing any more Dodge Ram trucks!! The remaining dealership is still performing the work, as I speak I have THREE trucks down there, one has been inoperable for over 5 weeks, that after paying said dealership $8K in repair cost!! GRRRR!!

The issue is the same: at lower miles the DEF warning light comes on, and the "countdown" of miles begins until the truck will shut down. I immediately have taken it to the dealer and they have attempted the "quick fix" of "flashing" the computer, which helps for a time period, ranging from 2 days, up to 2 months. Then it will happen again, with the same results, however the interval shortens each time before it goes off again. Finally it will reach a point as the mileage increases, where the "flashing" of the computer will no longer "fix" the problem, and the truck goes down and will not run. The dealer will have it for anywhere up to 2-3 weeks, give it back, it will run fine for a few days to a few weeks, then it starts all over again. The last 2 they have NOT been able to find a solution to, so they are just sitting at the dealership, while they attempt to replace parts and see if it helps. So far it is a "no go".

After dealing with this problem for going on 3 years, I cannot believe there are not many people having this problem other than the 3 or 4 others that I know, (we each have truck fleets, and each bought our Dodge Ram Cummins diesels about the same time) These other companies I am familiar with are having the same problems, again with no solution for them either, even though they are 50-100 miles from me, and are using different dealers for attempted repairs. So it does seem to be an overall problem with these work trucks. BTW, we are all located in California, so cannot simply pull off the emissions garbage as I have read some people do, since all of our fleets are inspected several times per year by the CHP, along with the smoke test shops.

So I guess the question is: Does anyone have a solution to this, other than attempting to sell these trucks off and replacing them with another brand? Thank you.

jayhuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would say bring it to Cummins. I work at a Mack/Volvo dealer. When experiencing problems with a truck with a Cummins/CAT/DD that our techs cant fix. We ship it back to the origin of the Engine. Techs @ Cummins will know A LOT more about the engine side then a RAM tech. If you wanna drop me an ESN# of one of teh trucks affected. I can see if their is any TSB's. ( o yea, i'm a auth. Cummins repair facility too)

Dont know where your from, but i could find one close to you.

Hope this can help man.

Jay

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say bring it to Cummins. I work at a Mack/Volvo dealer. When experiencing problems with a truck with a Cummins/CAT/DD that our techs cant fix. We ship it back to the origin of the Engine. Techs @ Cummins will know A LOT more about the engine side then a RAM tech. If you wanna drop me an ESN# of one of teh trucks affected. I can see if their is any TSB's. ( o yea, i'm a auth. Cummins repair facility too)

Dont know where your from, but i could find one close to you.

Hope this can help man.

Jay

who designs the emissions system tho? i kinda doubt it's Cummins which would mean they can't do jack to help him

OP
OP
B

bluesky69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.9 Cummins Diesel
We have contacted Cummins some time ago, they have told us they cannot work on the trucks, as they have an agreement with Dodge (Chrysler) in that regard. But then again, you are probably correct in that the emissions system is most likely a Chrysler addition/design. I have other trucks (Freightliners/Ford F 650's) with Cummins engines and they do not have this issue, when they go into "ReGen" mode it always does what it should do, with dash lights going off after "ReGen" is completed. So I think this must be a Dodge/Chrysler issue.

jayhuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Engine & Emissions would be cummins. (At least in the class 8 world). All sensors and wiring harness on the engine and emissions system will also be cummins. All the engine dressing will be various vendors. (ie: fun clutch:horton/ starter: delco remy and so on) Only thing thats iffy is the belts. Ive seen them go both ways. I haven't heard of cummins having an agreement with Chrysler. But then again we dont work on too many ram trucks. I cant say for sure.

If i can look up an engine and get part#. I can order parts. I work at a Mack/Volvo dealer thats an auth. Cummins part/ service. But i can lookup kenworth/pete/international/western star, all i need is and esn# Maybe i souldnt be doing this (ups) , but never had a problem getting parts.

Maybe it's different when it come to non class 8 truck? I cant say for sure.
From what i've seen. Cummins are strong engines with a good emissions system. I've only seen a handful in the past 4 years with bad emissions problems.

Drop me an esn# and i can take a look. To see if anything is captive to Chrysler.