Cannot get Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
So on Wed I was getting my truck ready for a camping trip and I notice a puddle of oil next to my rear tire. Looked under the truck and the shock is coated with oil and oil dripping from lower shock mount. Went to Autozone but they have none in stock and none in the warehouse. Called my RAM dealer ( truck is a 2022 Ram 2500 with 11K miles) and they said bring it in the next day and we will take care of it. So Thur morning I was there at 8am and dropped it off. Got a call at 930, yep its the shock and we are trying to located one. Call at 4PM no luck on shock, computer says due to strike no parts from my distro and none in the local warehouses. They did a wider search at dealers and either no one has one or they wont let it go. So now I either let the truck site there for who knows how long or option 2 purchase aftermarket and pay them to install them. So I went to Advance Auto and they has RS5000 in the warehouse and would have them @ 730AM friday morning. SO I just got done dropping the shocks off at the dealer so I can get my truck back.

I dont know if there are any UAW workers on here but I think all these guys striking should be fired and replaced with people who want to work. Striking manufacturing is one thing, striking parts depo only affect the people who already bought the vehicle. You really think the big three care about cars already on the road. What if I needed my truck for work, no I would be out of a job as well. This crap is just BS.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Striking manufacturing is one thing, striking parts depo only affect the people who already bought the vehicle.

It's bold of you to assume union workers give a d*** what happens to their customers.

As long as they get their pensions and work as little as possible to get there, YOU don't matter.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
So on Wed I was getting my truck ready for a camping trip and I notice a puddle of oil next to my rear tire. Looked under the truck and the shock is coated with oil and oil dripping from lower shock mount. Went to Autozone but they have none in stock and none in the warehouse. Called my RAM dealer ( truck is a 2022 Ram 2500 with 11K miles) and they said bring it in the next day and we will take care of it. So Thur morning I was there at 8am and dropped it off. Got a call at 930, yep its the shock and we are trying to located one. Call at 4PM no luck on shock, computer says due to strike no parts from my distro and none in the local warehouses. They did a wider search at dealers and either no one has one or they wont let it go. So now I either let the truck site there for who knows how long or option 2 purchase aftermarket and pay them to install them. So I went to Advance Auto and they has RS5000 in the warehouse and would have them @ 730AM friday morning. SO I just got done dropping the shocks off at the dealer so I can get my truck back.

I dont know if there are any UAW workers on here but I think all these guys striking should be fired and replaced with people who want to work. Striking manufacturing is one thing, striking parts depo only affect the people who already bought the vehicle. You really think the big three care about cars already on the road. What if I needed my truck for work, no I would be out of a job as well. This crap is just BS.

I don't think it is the strike. When I was looking for shocks last year; they were hard to find. I had to wait a couple of months for the ones I wanted.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
UAW Auto workers are already the Highest Paid, Unskilled Labor in the country. My best friend was a retired Ford Skilled Trades mechanic, and he was very proud of that fact. He passed away of a Heart Attack in early August. I'm glad he's not seeing all this.
The retirees got screwed over in the last contract, and the one before that. But it wasn't the companies that did it, it was the union brothers that gave them up.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't think it is the strike. When I was looking for shocks last year; they were hard to find.
This exactly ^^^
There have been part shortages with month long wait times long before the strike happened.

Striking manufacturing is one thing, striking parts depo only affect the people who already bought the vehicle.
The parts depots handle all of the parts, even for production not just the repair parts.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Little FYI for you,you can drive it with a bad shock.A bad shock doesn't disable a vehicle,i'd lay odds the majority of vehicles on the road that are 10 years old or older have at least one bad shock on them, ;)

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I like the fact that our current “uniter n chief” went down to the picket lines and said they deserve a raise, a first for a sitting president. At around 28$/ average, they’re at the same level that 1st class shipbuilders make producing ships for the US Navy (ask me how I know).
Of course the current administration wants the UAW to get paid more, those costs get passed on to the consumer. Tell me how much a single cheese burger from McDonald’s costs right now while a job intended for high school kids and part time jobs is starting off at over $10hr in my area. Costs for Dino powered vehicles stay high, and more reason to push electric vehicles and the green agenda. Oh, come get your government subsidies for your battery powered vehicles, they’re more affordable than gas powered vehicles. Can we say 33 trillion in national debt and counting! Inflation is sky high and production is down, I fear we’re in for a rough ride.

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I like the fact that our current “uniter n chief” went down to the picket lines and said they deserve a raise, a first for a sitting president. At around 28$/ average, they’re at the same level that 1st class shipbuilders make producing ships for the US Navy (ask me how I know).
Of course the current administration wants the UAW to get paid more, those costs get passed on to the consumer. They’ll me how much a single cheese burger from McDonald’s costs right now while a job intended for high school kids and part time jobs is starting off at over $10hr in my area. Costs for Dino powered vehicles stay high, and more reason to push electric vehicles and the green agenda. Oh, come get your government subsidies for you battery powered vehicles, they’re more affordable than gas powered vehicles. Can we say 33 trillion in national debt and counting! Inflation is sky high and production is down, I fear we’re in for a rough ride.
Sorry for the rant, had to get that out.

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little FYI for you,you can drive it with a bad shock.A bad shock doesn't disable a vehicle,i'd lay odds the majority of vehicles on the road that are 10 years old or older have at least one bad shock on them, ;)
In high school my buddy had a old beater car.. he’d park in front of my house.. get out walk up my lane.. knock on door, i’d open door and look out at his car and the rear would still be bouncing up and down from being put in park!!

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Plenty of Bilsteins to be had on Amazon...Would deinately improve your ride.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In high school my buddy had a old beater car.. he’d park in front of my house.. get out walk up my lane.. knock on door, i’d open door and look out at his car and the rear would still be bouncing up and down from being put in park!!
He had a few relatives where i went to high school to,lol. There were buddies cars in high school that'd make you laugh if you were riding in them on a back road ,especially if you were in the back seat:Big Laugh:

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UAW Auto workers are already the Highest Paid, Unskilled Labor in the country. My best friend was a retired Ford Skilled Trades mechanic, and he was very proud of that fact. He passed away of a Heart Attack in early August. I'm glad he's not seeing all this.
The retirees got screwed over in the last contract, and the one before that. But it wasn't the companies that did it, it was the union brothers that gave them up.
...and knowing they're being paid with our tax dollars (bailouts) is just another reason to frown upon the situation.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4

My brand new 2022 had a weird vibration since new, selling dealer had a ****** service department and misdiagnosed my truck for almost a year. Went down the road and instantly was told bad rear drive shaft from factory and ordered part 3-5 days…2 weeks later still waiting for a rear drive shaft at 7100 miles.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I don't think it is the strike. When I was looking for shocks last year; they were hard to find. I had to wait a couple of months for the ones I wanted.
It is the strike, they have over 40 repair orders all waiting for parts. I saw the stack on her desk and the line of cars/trucks and SUV in the lower lot waiting.

I was able to get the truck repair with after market shocks. I feel bad for the people still waiting to get their vehicle fixed.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I know I can drive it if it was just the truck, but I am pulling a 8000lb trailer and my family in the cab. With the trailer it was bouncing all over.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I know I can drive it if it was just the truck, but I am pulling a 8000lb trailer and my family in the cab. With the trailer it was bouncing all over.

You could have other issues:

WDH?

Tire Pressure

Hitch Weight

Over GVWR

Wind

Driving too fast

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ford, GM, Stellantis have never built a Shock Absorber.
Their Engineers design it & then they Let the Specs out to bid, usually a major Shock Absorber Company, or companies let the car companies know how much they can build them for.
Whoever wins the bid, sends the newly designed shocks to which ever location, Auburn Hills Headquarters needs them to go.
At the point, Union Warehouse workers are in charge of new orders, shipping & storage.

All done without a single UAW person touching it, until those shocks reach the Ram Assembly Line

=============================

Did you know, that Unionized Auto Plant workers in Canada & the USA, are making over 20 bucks an hour & people in Saltillo Mexico, working at the Stellantis, GM, Ford, & KIA plants are making less than half that & making the same product ??
Many companies are moving their factories down there.

Last edited:

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It is the strike, they have over 40 repair orders all waiting for parts. I saw the stack on her desk and the line of cars/trucks and SUV in the lower lot waiting.

The strike has Nothing to do with getting parts, nothing. Parts have been and continue to be an issue since that panic lockdown the country(s) put us all in. Union workers simply put parts on vehicles, the do not "make" the parts.

bigdodge

Reaction score
I'm one of those workers. We have had a $3 raise since 2007. Seeing as how a new truck went from$30k to $70_80k in that time frame would you be ok work that? Change the shock yourself if you want to drive your truck. Really not worth the aggregation is it?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I talked to two dealer part's dept on thurs about rear shocks. They didn't have any (couldn't get them either) but they told me another dealer who did have them. They could get them for a little more. So, OP, if you are in need you could see if another local dealer has what you need.