Max HP with factory warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So to start off I'm an idiot and about a year ago bought a new 2016 ram and was left with the decision to void the warranty or wait 6 years for it to expire. :suicide: I have talked to moe's about some goals I would like to obtain to include damn near everything but the bottom end but I think for now I'm going to have to wait. I am going to squeeze the most hp without voiding the warranty or tuning... scary huh? I have scoured the warranty and Magnuson-Moss act and have came up with my plan. Parts include underdrive pulley, shorties, legmaker mid-tube, moe's 87mm ported throttle body, and mufflex 18". I know many have done these simple bolt-ons but I will do a before and after dyno of the whole setup and will be running stock size tires and 89 octane with no tune. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Do one at a time if you have the dyno near you. So you can see your gains per item

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

CRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Unfortunately the only dyno I can find at this time is about 45 minutes away. Unless someone knows of a dyno in Lawton, OK.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The problem with the warranty is that every dealership is different. You just need to find out how far your dealership will let you go. My local dealership has replaced transmissions for customers with blowers and nitrous, yet I have had out of state customers say that dealerships gave them a hard time simply because they were not using the stock air filter and did not let the dealership do their oil changes for them.

You will get a different answer from every dealership, so just try to find one that will let you play a little.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem with the warranty is that every dealership is different. You just need to find out how far your dealership will let you go. My local dealership has replaced transmissions for customers with blowers and nitrous, yet I have had out of state customers say that dealerships gave them a hard time simply because they were not using the stock air filter and did not let the dealership do their oil changes for them.

You will get a different answer from every dealership, so just try to find one that will let you play a little.

This.

I'm a dealership master tech for Lexus. Magnuson - Moss has nothing at all to do with performance modifications. What that covers, is that you are not required to have maintenance or repair work performed by the OEM manufacturer's dealership service department in order to keep your warranty coverage.

It does not allow you to make performance modifications to the vehicle and still have it covered under warranties.

The thing about how automotive warranties work, is its kinda like an insurance adjuster, in that each adjuster might come to different conclusions about whether or not something is covered, but they all follow the same guidelines. In a dealership, the service manager has the initial decision on warranty claims, if the technician feels that something might have been damaged because of performance modifications.

Every dealership is going to be different.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This.

I'm a dealership master tech for Lexus. Magnuson - Moss has nothing at all to do with performance modifications. What that covers, is that you are not required to have maintenance or repair work performed by the OEM manufacturer's dealership service department in order to keep your warranty coverage.

It does not allow you to make performance modifications to the vehicle and still have it covered under warranties.

The thing about how automotive warranties work, is its kinda like an insurance adjuster, in that each adjuster might come to different conclusions about whether or not something is covered, but they all follow the same guidelines. In a dealership, the service manager has the initial decision on warranty claims, if the technician feels that something might have been damaged because of performance modifications.

Every dealership is going to be different.

Most of the is spot on.

Only thing I'll add is that in the Chrysler world the service manager doesn't have the golden pen to say if it's covered or not. Most of the time the claim is filed and it's up to Chryslers warranty people if they're going to cover it. Managers do have some sway with good will coverage but it's not cut and dry. The district service manager will have much more say in odd situations than a regular service manager. There is also a special department just for power train warranty claims.

Most of the time I hate dealing with the warranty bean counters above my warranty admin at my dealership. The majority of the time they don't know a damn thing about vehicles, all they know is the price doesn't add up to them and think we're trying to screw Chrysler.

So to the OP, talk to your specific dealer. Any performance modifications can void parts of your warranty depending on what's failed. We just denied a faulty head gasket the other week on a diesel. Although it had a DPF,EGR delete and was chipped. No way in hell Chrysler is going to warranty that.

electricyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unfortunately the only dyno I can find at this time is about 45 minutes away. Unless someone knows of a dyno in Lawton, OK.
Aren't the street outlaw guys in Lawton. Thought I recognised a few places watching the show. They have a dyno.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Most of the time I hate dealing with the warranty bean counters above my warranty admin at my dealership. The majority of the time they don't know a damn thing about vehicles, all they know is the price doesn't add up to them and think we're trying to screw Chrysler.

So to the OP, talk to your specific dealer. Any performance modifications can void parts of your warranty depending on what's failed. We just denied a faulty head gasket the other week on a diesel. Although it had a DPF,EGR delete and was chipped. No way in hell Chrysler is going to warranty that.

Pretty much sums it up. I do a lot of front end & drivetrain rebuilds with multiple failed/worn parts. Plus diag time to get it figured out the first time. Always a battle to get paid & calling bs on overlapping labor ops.

I'll have to go back & find the master tech test, but a few months ago they were talking about warranty with mods. Due to legal issues with completely voiding warranties, Chrysler gets around it by "restricting" the warranty until returned to stock form.

electricyeti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Planning most of the same mods myself. Only using drag strip instead of dyno. Would be very interested in following your progress. My 2016 Express has 5200 miles on it.