MDS Delete Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased an AMS racing mds delete for my 14 Ram (ams cam, lifters and diablo tuner) installed the kit and re-assembled everything. I installed the diablo tuner with MDS delete option and started the truck. it barely started but did run, ran like trash and stalled. tried again and wouldn't start. if i keep rpm above 1500 it will run but sounds like timing is out, threw one code p0300 for random misfire. checked compression of all 8 cylinders and have about 180psi -200psi. timing marks were installed with cam phaser at 12o clock and 2 marks on chain with mark on gear centered, and crank gear at 6o clock and 1 mark on chain with 1 mark on gear. Is there anything i may have missed anyone can think of??

POSTED BELOW IS THE DIAGRAM I USED FOR TIMING

View media item 30420

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I purchased an AMS racing mds delete for my 14 Ram (ams cam, lifters and diablo tuner) installed the kit and re-assembled everything. I installed the diablo tuner with MDS delete option and started the truck. it barely started but did run, ran like trash and stalled. tried again and wouldn't start. if i keep rpm above 1500 it will run but sounds like timing is out, threw one code p0300 for random misfire. checked compression of all 8 cylinders and have about 180psi -200psi. timing marks were installed with cam phaser at 12o clock and 2 marks on chain with mark on gear centered, and crank gear at 6o clock and 1 mark on chain with 1 mark on gear. Is there anything i may have missed anyone can think of??

View media item 30420
Pull valve covers & check for push rod/rocker arm movement.....several people have not properly install push rod into rocker assembly......sometimes bending rod.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just to add to Crackerjacks post,check and make sure you have the pushrods in the right place,as the intake and exhaust pushrods are differant lengths and if you're not careful it's easy to get them mixed up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

View media item 30420

Read through Kurtis's howto if you haven't ,and see if anything leaps out at you.

How-To: 4th gen hemi cam installation | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

OP
OP
W

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys for the replies! I have read through that guide. I will double check the pushrod location cause that seems easiest at this point! Compression comes out good though, I would imagine if I had pushrods in wrong location I wouldn’t. But heck I’ve seen crazier things

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you guys for the replies! I have read through that guide. I will double check the pushrod location cause that seems easiest at this point! Compression comes out good though, I would imagine if I had pushrods in wrong location I wouldn’t. But heck I’ve seen crazier things
'
I had a push rod not clicked in all the way once and it ran like crap and sounded like a machine gun ahaha so check that all are clicked in.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: got truck running smooth and idling, except NOW it has timing correlation faults and taps like a diesel. Checked timing 100 times and checked pushrods (all are properly seated) is there a specific way this phaser has to be before the but gets torqued. Followed the all data procedure and pulled tensioner then torqued. But what in the hell would cause the chatter? Ughhhhh

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The position of the gears lined up with the chain markings as per the drawing looks pretty straight forward. What I don't understand is what happened to putting #1 piston at TDC before sliding in the cam? Seems in the videos that people just slide the cam in and rotate it at will. How do you know the right lobe is in contact with the lifter? Sorry if it's a foolish question.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The position of the gears lined up with the chain markings as per the drawing looks pretty straight forward. What I don't understand is what happened to putting #1 piston at TDC before sliding in the cam? Seems in the videos that people just slide the cam in and rotate it at will. How do you know the right lobe is in contact with the lifter? Sorry if it's a foolish question.
Cam is keyed to the gear. There’s only 1 position it can possibly go on. But I did check TDC CYL1 and made sure both valves closed. Truck runs great just sounds like a diesel and sets a fault. Guess I’m taking it apart yet again.

ameldorf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did your cam require a phaser limiter? I’ve only done a cam on 6.4 and it was a “no spring required”, but still required the phaser limiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your timing is 1 tooth off to me, You should have had it on TDC Compression stroke before disassembly, Also check all you push rods for being bent.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did your cam require a phaser limiter? I’ve only done a cam on 6.4 and it was a “no spring required”, but still required the phaser limiter.

Stock cam without mds

ameldorf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock cam without mds

Ahh, I assumed not.

Would def check the things mentioned. Pushrods in correct spots and not bent, timing all lined up, pushrods seated in rocker arms. I’ve not messed with lifters on this motor, but any way installed incorrectly and not pumping or delete plugs damaged/leaking?

Even mine with “more aggressive” cam fired, idled, and drove with idle adjusted high enough to get to tuner’s shop.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Upload a vid of it running so we can hear the noise that would help alot.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this worked

Hard to hear with your exhaust but Sounds ok Except the noise on the pass side you will always have a little tic that is normal. How is the timing chain tensioner? they tend to crack Also check your push rods on pass side make sure none are bent as that is where the noise appears to be coming from.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think this worked

This is mine 2 years ago after I did lifters this is at operating temp. It takes a bit to break in does not sound this bad anymore since I put some miles on it and used a royal purpl filter and Pennzoil platinum however you have another noise on the pass side for sure.

OP
OP
W

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to hear with your exhaust but Sounds ok Except the noise on the pass side you will always have a little tic that is normal. How is the timing chain tensioner? they tend to crack Also check your push rods on pass side make sure none are bent as that is where the noise appears to be coming from.
Definitely not okay, it sounds like a diesel.. not normal, owned truck since new never made a noise that loud

OP
OP
W

wakeboardcraze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I ordered a new phaser and solenoid, going to change those and try again. Throwing darts is fun...