Metal plate under gas cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flmx81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi
I was wondering if anyone else might have this issue as well.

I recently purchased a 12 Ram CC with the optional 32 gal tank and when it was time to fill it up for the first time it overflowed. I didn't notice until after I removed the gas pump that there was no metal plate with the little flap behind the gas cap where you put the pump through. I know with diesel truck theres not one there so you can fit the bigger diesel pump as gas stations.

It has happened more then one time too. I did talked to the dealer and they moreless blew me off and said it must be how the trucks come now even though I told them it has been overflowing at fillups. I'm almost wondering since it is an optional gas tank on the truck that it just might be the diesel tanks and they never modified the necks to install the flap.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spit back has been a problem on ALOT of Chrysler Vehicles over the years. Normally, it's a problem with a check valve inside the tank. Normally, from what I have read, it requires the whole tank assembly to be replaced.

OP
OP
F

flmx81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi
Spit back has been a problem on ALOT of Chrysler Vehicles over the years. Normally, it's a problem with a check valve inside the tank. Normally, from what I have read, it requires the whole tank assembly to be replaced.

Interesting I may have to bring this up to them and see what they have to say. I tried to search around for anything on it and had no luck. However when I did speak to Chrysler and asked if this is a common issue they made it sound like this was the first they heard of it with the 12's.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i could be wrong, but i don't think that metal flap has anything to do with overfilling. There is a sensor in the nozzle that makes it kick off to prevent overfilling

cdrice15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i could be wrong, but i don't think that metal flap has anything to do with overfilling. There is a sensor in the nozzle that makes it kick off to prevent overfilling

Yeah.... the nozzle is what prevents overflow, supposedly. The metal plate and flap is supposed to prevent someone from putting the wrong fuel in, diesel. These were essential back when there was leaded and unleaded fuels cause they had different nozzle sizes. Now its on applicable to diesel nozzles. It also has been a deterrent for someone stealing your gas. But most vehicles today have coils in the fill tube/pipe to prevent someone from putting a hose down into the tank. It has nothing to do with overfill.

Sent from my Electrify

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 32 gallon tank and it didn't take me long to figure out that when the pump clicked off that was it. Just trying to put in another $.25 worth of gas made it overflow. I had an 05 Yukon Denali XL before this and it was about as bad. Once that clicked off adding anything more than $.50 more was pushing it. Half the time I jumped from $.99 to $.01 anyway so just stopping when it clicks off isn't that big of a deal.

OP
OP
F

flmx81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi

There is a sensor in the nozzle but when it did it three or four times at different gas stations theres clearly something wrong with the truck.

OP
OP
F

flmx81

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 CC
Engine
Hemi
I have the 32 gallon tank and it didn't take me long to figure out that when the pump clicked off that was it. Just trying to put in another $.25 worth of gas made it overflow. I had an 05 Yukon Denali XL before this and it was about as bad. Once that clicked off adding anything more than $.50 more was pushing it. Half the time I jumped from $.99 to $.01 anyway so just stopping when it clicks off isn't that big of a deal.

The weird part is that every time it's overflowed is right when its clicked off, so I didn't even get the chance to try and pack the tank.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Here in California, regulations changed and gas stations had to change to a new nozzle. The new nozzles auto shut offs were faulty. The gas stations were forced to remove the device which locks open the nozzle while filling. It was a huge pain in the ass having to stand there and squeeze the nozzle until full.

Anyway maybe the nozzle is defective and not auto shutting off.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Most off the stations here you have to hold them while pumping
My cars gas cap isn't attached so I stick it in the handle to hold the trigger

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
sounds like the tank isnt venting properly. It'd get it check especially it keeps doing it

yendor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it is usually a defect in the nozzle. My Crew Cab has the standard sized tank and it did that on a fill up the other day. I don't like the gas on the side of my truck but when we are paying a king's ransom for gas you just don't like to have it belch out on the ground.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I've got the optional tank on the '12, and never overflowed.

On a side note, the size of the hole is what determines if it an take the diesel nozzle or not, and there are two sizes of diesel nozzle. The high flow is even larger, but supposedly will damage small tanks like on non-semis.

The little metal flap is just to help seal in vapors, it has nothing to do with over flow.

Is your tank getting air? Does it make a sucking sound when you first take the cap off? It is possible its not actually overflowing but air forcing itself up the neck and pushing some gas with it?