Miles Per Gallon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Well if you read any of the diesel mags ... all of them ... every day ... well until the dyno or track or sleds come out :lol:

Silver ... the way the "please" read I wasn't sure how you intended it.

cmns2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
p pumper
silver, that truck you stomped prolly weighed 1k or more pounds than you, and was at the most makin 300 or so rwhp...

wolfwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9l
Well I drive mine for work...200miles twice a week. I average 18-20.2 in town and 22 on the highway at 80mph. If I drive 55-65 I get close to 23-24.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Manual transmission? What (if any) programmer are you running?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Whats currently the best diesel tuner alv for the diesels?

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Whats currently the best diesel tuner alv for the diesels?

That completely depends on the owners desires for the truck. There are as many options as there are color's of truck. The owner really needs to decide their final goal for the truck before dropping coin on electronics. Every owner will think theirs is the best for what ever reason they bought it. So asking which is the best is like asking which flavor of ice cream is the best :roflsquared:

Most are going to adjust fuel rail pressure and / or timing. Throw in waste-gate control and you've got a good combination for HP and TQ. Adding to much rail pressure can be bad ju-ju if there are any injector or CP3 issues of course.

The big difference is if the owner wants to run individual gauges or prefers the look of one single unit to display all data.

The electronic screened units (Bully Dog, Edge, Banks, etc. etc.) stay plugged into the ODBII port and use the PCM to show Boost, Trans Temp, Fuel Pressure etc, etc. Which of course limits the units to the parameters the ECM is programmed to read (for instance the stock ECM can only read 42 lbs of boost). They all require the exhaust port to be tapped for EGT's.

Some of the chips like the MP8, or Power Puck plug in and stay under the hood. These normally only do fuel or rail pressure.

Then there is the Smarty. A lot of people use this programmer as part of a stack (combining multiple programmers at one time). It plugs into the ODBII to re-program the ECM then disconnects. They do have a POD (power on demand) to allow for on the fly reconfigurations (load it to the highest safe software level for your configuration then run at x% for daily driving...push the button and increase the % for the red light race :naughty:).

I personally run the Smarty. The Torque Management software is GREAT. Stock ECM controls really limits how much of the power is sent to the TC as the skinny pedal is pushed. The programming from the Smarty really gets that low end power to the street. EGT's are greatly reduced when running tuned. Stock I will sit around 600 degrees (post turbo) around town unloaded...programmed that drops to 450ish.

Mads offers a two units; the Junior and Senior for different power ranges. They offer the POD, Revo (standard software load), and Revo TNT (race loads) software loads. So there is a wide variety to pick from to fit any need.

For the 6.7's all the same things hold true plus the need for DPF / EGR delete's may be needed. If the emission equipment is removed (besides voiding the exhaust warranty (which includes the turbo)) the truck will throw constant codes if not re-programmed. So if the DPF / EGR's do not plan on staying intact look for those features also.

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
Depends on the year and trans.

Change in Cab versus the change in the bed off-sets most of the weight change compared to other models.

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
According to the overhead monitor, my truck gets 15 to 17 on interstate and 11 to 13 towing my RV. I've been told mileage should get slightly better around 50k (I'm at 24k now), but I won't know if that's true 'til I get there.

And lilfroger, great info on the tuners...thanks.

Last edited:

lilfroger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 CTD
NP :)

Don't trust the lie-o-meter. Hand calc your mileage. My lie-o-meter reads almost 2 mpg high every dang day.

I noticed a 1 mpg bump between 40 and 50k. It's nothing to right home about, heck if you do any mods to the trans during that time period you'll probably miss it :lol:

4XLGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
^^^I don't trust the meter, that's why I said "according to". To be honest, I don't care what mileage it gets...I LOVE my truck that much. LOL

wolfwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 5.9l
okay...mileage just went to crap. Crawled under the hood and found my exhaust manifold cracked. Nice. Any opinions? On aftermarket I mean?

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
my uncle has a 2000 5.9 with a turbo-back it gets 15-17 on the highway.

Last edited:

Aries ram 2500 4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 quad cab
Engine
5.9 L, Diesel
Fuel drinks like we drink water

2003 ram 4x4 5.9 diesel (stocker)= :(. 12 at best 75k on speedo. Truck was well kept no fluid seepage anywhere. Does have 4 inch lift, 35x12.50 km2 mud terrain, 500 lbs. front bumper(maybe more?). Got plans for it. Dog now , not for long! Like the other post don't care how much fuel , it looks BAD A--. Love it!

Last edited:

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2003 ram 4x4 5.9 diesel (stocker)= :(. 12 at best 75k on speedo. Truck was well kept no fluid seepage anywhere. Does have 4 inch lift, 35x12.50 km2 mud terrain, 500 lbs. front bumper(maybe more?). Got plans for it. Dog now , not for long! Like the other post don't care how much fuel , it looks BAD A--. Love it!
Post pics of that beast

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk