Mishimoto R&D: 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L Catch Can Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey everybody,

We're really excited to announce that our 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L Catch Can kit is now on discounted pre-sale. As always, we like to share our R&D process with our customers, so take a look at how we developed this kit below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

We’ve Got It – Catch Can Kit R&D, Part 1: Concept to Completion
NLT_0197.jpg
What is it about a new vehicle that draws people to it? Every car or truck enthusiast can relate to catching a glimpse of a new vehicle from across the parking lot and thinking, “What is that?”. Whatever it is, the new 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 has a lot of it. When we pulled our volunteer 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L into our R&D facility for the first round of catch can development, even our car segment walked out to take a look.

If you own a 2019+ Ram 1500, and you’re like most new vehicle owners, you want to keep that “it factor” for as long as possible. Car washes and interior detailing are a must. But what about under the hood? I’m not talking pressure washing the engine; I mean inside the engine. After all, part of that “it factor” for you is driving your truck. If the outside looks great, but the engine runs rough, that wonder of owning a new vehicle is going to fade quickly.

NLT_0243.jpg
They say that the best offense is a good defense. So, to defend your 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L from the effects of blow-by and help keep that “it factor” inside and out, we’ve been developing a direct-fit catch can kit.

Like all our catch can kits, this one started with bringing in the truck and planning out our design. The 2019+ Ram 1500 shares the 5.7L Hemi from the 2009-2018 models, but the updated body means that our previous generation catch can kit won’t fit. So we rolled our volunteer 2019 Ram into the shop, popped the hood, and got to work. Our first challenge was to mount the catch can. After that, everything else would fall in place.

NLT_0276.jpg
The engine bay of the Ram only gave us a couple options for mounting the can: the firewall or utilize the radiator and fan shroud. The only available space on the firewall would mount the can very low and make servicing it very difficult. In contrast, the radiator mounting point would place the can in an easily serviceable area and give us a straight shot to the CCV system ports on the engine. That made the radiator the obvious choice.

NLT_0258.jpg
Dan got to work measuring all the components that our can bracket would touch to begin building a prototype. Our bracket will utilize a bolt from the fan shroud to attach to the radiator and an additional hook-shaped bracket will grab another fan shroud mounting point for more stability. A small notch in the top of the bracket will hook onto the top of the fan shroud for even more support. Our fabricator, Mike, cut the bracket out on our waterjet and bent it into shape.

NLT_0306.jpg
With the bracket designed, we could move on to the lines. The relatively straight shot to the engine’s CCV ports from the radiator made designing lines simpler than with many other new vehicles. Some bends and curves to snake around sensors and under the engine cover were all it took to route the lines. A coat of paint on the bracket finished our prototype and we sent the volunteer truck back out into the world for a 1,000-mile road test.

MG_7968.jpg
Meanwhile, we were confident enough in our system that we kicked off production of our sample bracket and lines. It might sound brash, but our catch can kit for the previous generation caught a significant amount of blow-by in 1,000 miles on the same engine. Starting our production sample and our 1,000-mile test at the same time allowed us to bring the truck back in a few weeks later to measure the blow-by in the can and test fit our sample at the same time.

We pulled in the truck, removed our prototype kit and unscrewed the bottom of the can. Our testing was done in the winter, so we expected to see a lot of condensation in the can. Pouring the collected blow-by into a glass beaker revealed a muddy mix of fuel, water, and oil totaling about 40 ml. After letting the mixture settle, we measured about a 50/50 mix of oil and condensation.

MG_7958.jpg
Our catch can works, but how would our sample fit? It only took about 10 minutes to find out. The bracket bolted on without a hitch and sat securely against the radiator and fan shroud. Installing the lines was a simple matter of removing the prototypes and clamping on the production lines. That was it, we were done. Our catch can stops blow-by from entering your engine’s intake, keeps it running like new. And, it fits like it came from the factory. All that’s left is for you to buy it and preserve your Ram’s “it factor.” This 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L catch can kit is on pre-sale, which is your chance to get it at a deep discount. Check it out on our website and let us know what you think.

MMBCC-RAM-19PBE_1.jpg
Thanks for reading,
-Steve

R

Rogues Gambit

It been proven over and over that you need this as much as you need a throttle body spacer.

True, just I gotta preventive maintenance mentality. We're not DI right?

We won't stop you :D

-Steve

You got anything else in the works for our trucks? Had your Oil Cooler and a few other things for my Mustang (Mustang6g.com, same SN)

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
True, just I gotta preventive maintenance mentality. We're not DI right?

You got anything else in the works for our trucks? Had your Oil Cooler and a few other things for my Mustang (Mustang6g.com, same SN)

Sorry for the late reply! Right now, this catch can is the only product on our list for the 2019+ Rams, but we're open to suggestions!

Thanks,
-Steve

R

Rogues Gambit

Sorry for the late reply! Right now, this catch can is the only product on our list for the 2019+ Rams, but we're open to suggestions!

Thanks,
-Steve

Radiators, Trans/Oil Coolers, Thermostats, Hoses, Coolant Expansion Tanks, caps, etc.

Just looking through the various parts you have available

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey everybody,

The contest for this catch can is now over. Thanks to everybody who entered and congrats to the winner!

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:
R

Rogues Gambit

Hey everybody,

Great news! We're running a contest to win one of these catch cans! Even if you've already pre-ordered the kit, go ahead and enter; if you win, we won't charge you for your pre-order. Check it out below!

MMBCC-RAM-19PBE-Contest_FB-Post.jpg

Thanks!
-Steve

Entered

Mvp_Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L V8
Hey everybody,

Great news! We're running a contest to win one of these catch cans! Even if you've already pre-ordered the kit, go ahead and enter; if you win, we won't charge you for your pre-order. Check it out below!

MMBCC-RAM-19PBE-Contest_FB-Post.jpg

Thanks!
-Steve

Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the mishimoto on my 2017 Hemi, it’s in a great location to easily unscrew and dump the oil. It’s been on my truck for over a year now.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I have the mishimoto on my 2017 Hemi, it’s in a great location to easily unscrew and dump the oil. It’s been on my truck for over a year now.

That's awesome to hear, thanks!

-Steve

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale for this catch can kit has ended.

Thanks to everybody who ordered!

-Steve

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to let you all know that the pre-sale for this catch can kit has ended.

Thanks to everybody who ordered!

-Steve

Yeah I ordered mine at the end of February and got it yesterday and put it on today. Like the way it mounts. I think I paid 179. For it. It was worth the wait.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yeah I ordered mine at the end of February and got it yesterday and put it on today. Like the way it mounts. I think I paid 179. For it. It was worth the wait.

Thank you! Glad you like it!

-Steve

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love it looks like factory fit.