Mix the mid grade yourself and save?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deercamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Used to almost exclusively buy regular gas at a nearby Gulf station for my 2004 GMC Sierra v8 which called for regular grade fuel. In less than 60,000 miles i replaced 3 oxygen sensors. (The v8 actually had 4 oxygen sensors.) While Gulf is a name brand fuel in my area, it is not a top tier fuel. Thus it may lack detergent additives. I subsequently learned that fuel quality and lack of cleaning agents impacts various engine components, including O2 sensors.

In light of some of the above blog comments, suggest you check out below comments from a BMW service shop article :

“How can your choice of gas affect your RESULT IN A FAILED EMISSIONS TEST”

“Another part of your car that can be affected by your choice of gasoline is the oxygen sensor. This small but vital component monitors how much oxygen is in your car’s exhaust, helping to increase performance and decrease harmful emissions. Using low-quality fuel that lacks a cleaning agent, or using a lower octane gas than is recommended for your car, can cause your oxygen sensor to fail. And if that happens, you could fail your emissions test.”

My GMC ran well, no indication of engine issues until the check engine light went on, each time one of the 4 O2sensors failed.
Thus I have only used top tier fuels for the past decade, and no oxygen sensor failures.

Last edited:

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't waste money on mid grade fuel. I use 87 octain in my 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 with no issue. I tested runing 89 compared to 87 with very little or no difference in fuel economy or power. I expected to feel a difference with the higher octain but it wasn't enough to distinguish between them other than price. I have almost 70- k on it now with zero issues of any kind, I have the oil changed every 4 thousand miles at my dealership keep the air filter clean and changed out as required rotate tires at every oil change and keep psi at 36 and have no complaints. I'm sure some will say you don't need to chang oil as often as I do but I purchase three oil changes at a time from Ram which makes my oil change and service cost 58.00 per change including full synthetic, mopar oil filter topping off all fluids and tire rotation. Can't beat that!
How does the 3 oil change thing work......do you have a coupon? I can't find anything on the MOPAR site??? Thanks

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i bought my 2016 Ram ecodiesel
Some kind of arrangement was made, i got 10 complimentary Oil Changes, that was done in the Finance Officers enclosure.

It may have been because i handed him a Cashiers Check for the full price of the vehicle ??

That was a crazy day, my 2016 Ram was unloaded off the Car Hauler, where it was Inspected & driven back the Detail Shop.
At about 9 AM i drove to the dealership to see if the truck had come in, i was walked back to the Detail Shop & then i was walked to the Finance Office, signed all the paperwork, paid for the truck & drove it off the lot

Last edited: