MODS vs. Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Das Boot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been looking through some recent and older posts and I can’t seem to find a specific thread about MODS vs. warranty.

I am scheduled to pick up my new RAM next week and of course it has the STD 3 yr / 36,000 mi basic bumper to bumper and the 5 yr / 100,000mi powertrain warranty. I also know that if you modify your truck in any way and something happens where it could possibly fall under warranty, the first reaction from the dealer would be to decline the warranty because of the modification. I also know that that the burden of proof falls on the dealer to prove that your MOD specifically caused the warranty issue. I cannot imagine going 3 + years without modifying my new RAM in any way but I also do not want to fight with the dealers about any issues.

From all of your experience (to all of us new RAM owners), which MODs would you definitely stay away from for the first year or so? I see a lot of recommendations for Catch Cans, could a hard line dealer consider this a modification and decline a warranty repair?

I did not want to turn this into a warranty horror story thread but just as an educational / recommendation type thread. And advise would be greatly appreciated…….

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent post. I'll get destroyed here but - there's no flash available yet that addresses torque management. So, I wouldn't waste the coin until there is one. Also, you'll find post after post of cats loading and unloading tunes. Just nonstop. That is sure fire way to get some unwanted attention from a dealer especially if something breaks. Keep that in that back of your mind. :)

My 10 had a performance flash, catless, all kinds of other mods. Our SRT-8 Mag is also fairly modified. Orlando Dodge works on them when I can't get to it. Never had a problem from them ever.

Mod that pig. :)

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
That is completely a dealer to dealer case, if not a problem to problem. While, as stated above, you could have many modifications and never have a problem with your dealer, you could also to very simple mods such as CAI and exhaust and your dealer would try to give you crap.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Best to talk to the service manager of your local dealer. My '12 Rubicon is highly modified and the local dealer has no problem doing warranty work on it. He's replaced some things he probably shouldn't have on the '10 JKU I had. 6.5" lift with 37's. They replaced my transfer case and rear R&P and axles. A good dealer will take care of you. They know we mod these things.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The only time I've had a dealer give me grief about mods was a mixed Nissan/Chevy dealer when I brought the Nissan in to have a technical service bulletin repair corrected. Service writer who knew nothing about the TSB started giving me grief about a CAI. As soon as I aksed if he was familiar with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act he aksed me if I was a lawyer. I was wearing a suit that day so I said "why yes, yes I am." I AM NOT A LAWYER, but he shut up, called a tech over, asked him about the TSB and said the car would be ready by 5pm. That Chevy dealer sold the Nissan franchise and then went out of business because of lousy customer service a few years later.

The real issue is this: the burden is on the dealer/mfgr to prove the after market modification was the proximate cause of any failure. Yes they might initially deny you warranty repair until you push back, but not for something as mundane as a CAI, after market exhaust or catch can. Simply put, the failure has to be related to the modification. No way a CAI can be blamed for a failed drive shaft or ABS problem for instance.

Now, if you put a blower on your engine and threw as piston, yeah most of the time the motor rebuild is on you.

If you load and unload a custom tune 26 times in a 2 week period and your PCM fails--they got you by the *******. No way you could convince a judge they didn't have proof in small claims unless that stealership already had a reputation for denying warranty claims on sketchy grounds.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems that a lot more dealers today are checking more closely when it comes to warranty claims. Some parts that are replaced under warranty have to be sent back to the factory for inspection. If the factory disapproves a warrant claim then the cost comes out of the dealers pocket. Some warranty parts need to be approved by the factory before they can be replaced. If you talk to your service manager or service advisor and ask them what their "bounds" are as far a Mod's are concerned, that would give you a good idea of how far you can go without running into trouble. People are right that the dealer/factory has to be able to prove that your mod caused the failure of certain parts, but you have to remember they probably have a **** load of lawyers just looking for something to do, so do you really want to go through all the hoops they will put you through to have your truck repaired + any legal costs you might incur and your not going to have the use of your truck during this process.. If you mod it, there is always a chance you might have to pay for any damage it causes, just be ready for that expense if you have to pay.
Just my .02
Jay

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It seems that a lot more dealers today are checking more closely when it comes to warranty claims. Some parts that are replaced under warranty have to be sent back to the factory for inspection. If the factory disapproves a warrant claim then the cost comes out of the dealers pocket. Some warranty parts need to be approved by the factory before they can be replaced. If you talk to your service manager or service advisor and ask them what their "bounds" are as far a Mod's are concerned, that would give you a good idea of how far you can go without running into trouble. People are right that the dealer/factory has to be able to prove that your mod caused the failure of certain parts, but you have to remember they probably have a **** load of lawyers just looking for something to do, so do you really want to go through all the hoops they will put you through to have your truck repaired + any legal costs you might incur and your not going to have the use of your truck during this process.. If you mod it, there is always a chance you might have to pay for any damage it causes, just be ready for that expense if you have to pay.
Just my .02
Jay
Well there's a fine rationale for sitting at top dead center and doing nothing. :puke:

Just say'n.....

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't say do nothing--my message is to think about what your doing before you do anything, as there is a chance the resulting cost might come out of your own pocket. Is that better :love51:
Jay

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't blame them for looking for ways to avoid warranty claims. But regular mods, CAI, exhaust - I don't know. Does anyone have direct experience with a dealer being difficult over a set of Flowmasters? Heck, used to be you could buy the headers right there at the dealer and they would put them on and add it to the sales price. Remember PPH was the Mopar Performance manufacturer I think.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think what he's saying is true. These manufacturers now-a-days almost always require that a dealer get approval for a warranty repair that costs over a certain amount. Hell, Audi required manf approval for ALL warranty repairs. And while the M-M Act protects the customer by putting burden of proof on the manufacturer they have a team of lawyers at their disposal to do so. So, in example, if you put heavy wheels and 35's on your truck and snap an axle or destroy other parts of the suspension and the manf denies the claim. Well, weigh the costs. Would it be cheaper to pay for the fix or pay a lawyer for a legal battle you most likely won't win. Or pay a lawyer $2500 to have a $1000 warranty repair pushed through.

I mod with the expectation that I'll be paying for some repairs while having others covered. But the first step is always finding a dealer service center that will work with you.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never had a problem regarding a CAI, mufflers, catch can and the Bilstein shocks. IMHO it's a crap shoot when you add a turner---depends on the dealer and what you tore up.
Jay

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I didn't say do nothing--my message is to think about what your doing before you do anything, as there is a chance the resulting cost might come out of your own pocket. Is that better :love51:
Jay
I wasn't judging one way or the other--just observing that it made a case, a 'rationale', for not doing anything.

It is puke worthy that straight forward mods should even cause us to pause and consider whether or not the mfgr or stealership as his representative might goon us unless we lawyer up and go Jihadist on his reputation with the BBB. As I posted above, tunes are the area where you push your luck.

Last edited:

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
exactly. roll in there with a transmission problem and let 'em find torque management turned off. forget about it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my experience with most dealerships they seem to do whatever is the most financially beneficial for them. Early on I established a good working relationship with the service manager of the dealership I go to and that relationship has been worth a lot when it comes to borderline decisions. A couple of boxes of donuts for the tech's every once in a while doesn't hurt much either. Suck-ass------you bet---it's a lot less painful. :High 5:
Jay

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my experience with most dealerships they seem to do whatever is the most financially beneficial for them. Early on I established a good working relationship with the service manager of the dealership I go to and that relationship has been worth a lot when it comes to borderline decisions. A couple of boxes of donuts for the tech's every once in a while doesn't hurt much either. Suck-ass------you bet---it's a lot less painful. :High 5:
Jay

QFT. You want to talk about sucking up to the service people talk to Wrangler owners. We have no choice. Replace almost every bit of suspension, oversized and overweight wheels and tires, sleeve and gusset the axles, replace the drive shafts with double cardin joint 3150 shafts and STILL get the transfer case replaced after blowing it up wheeling.

It takes some talking, but getting on the good side of your service department is most beneficial thing you can do when modding you vehicle.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
You gotta think, in the past, Chrysler has had a pay out the ass for warranty work. All because people want to take their product and modify it, then run back to the dealership demanding they fix it. I've seen thread after thread on here about some guy ******* up his motor, and then taking it "back to stock" to have the engine fixed on the dealer's dime.

They didn't even want to release the tuning for 11's because of all the worries of warranty claims.

Now don't get me wrong, I call them the "stealership" for a reason, but you can't blame them for being super stringent on mods. Now you can say "WTF I just installed a CAI and now my engine is ******, fix my ****!"

But from the dealerships eyes, you could have simply installed the CAI wrong and **** got sucked into your motor, or it restricted breathing and ****** up the engine. And they have to waste they're money and time figuring out what you might have done and what's wrong.

I don't blame them. So if you're worried about your warranty, then don't mod. Because all argument's aside, if I was the manufacturer and you altered a product that I sold you and it ****** up, I'd say "**** you buddy, that's ****'s on you" too.

Just my thoughts.

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I was a dealership service manager for 20 years. It is not always the dealer denying warranty coverage as it is mostly the manufacturer trying to control warranty expense. I always tried to give the customer the 'benefit of doubt' because I wanted them to come back for other work and keep them happy. The manufacturer demands all the old parts back and inspects them for coverage, they also made us take pictures before repairs and email them for approval. Even after a repair is made under warranty the manufacturer can come back into the dealer and perform a warranty audit and if they did not like what they saw they reserve the right to charge the dealer back for the repairs and as the dealer there is nothing you can do but try and appeal. My first warranty audit as a young service manager, the manufacturer tried to charge back over $120,000 of warranty work the prior service manager performed. After an appeal the amount was reduced to $25,000 and the dealer paid. So the manufactures have the dealers running scared in fear of warranty audits and charge-backs.