Monitoring engine and trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, Im still around Just dont have time to post much anymore.

Any way, My 2012 express is getting up there in miles (90k)
Shes been to alaska and back. New york to florida dozens of times And still runs like a dream. However i would like to get one of those obd dash board monitors. I dont want a blue tooth one as i have a ****** phone And dont plan on upgrading for the apps. I was wondering if you guys had input On the best bang for the buck. Im not looking for a tuner. Just something to keep an eye on my baby.

Btw 90k miles, I run conventional oil, not synthetic. And change it every 5k And use either purolator or wix filters. I pulled the valve covers the other day to take a peek and she shines like new. No build up, no sludge And no carbon.
Thats castrol gtx 5w20 For 50k And the rest is valvoline 520. ( cant find castrol 520 near me anymore)

So just an fyi For all the guys that run 15$ a quart oil/ additives. Regular maintenance is doing great for me

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to run a Scan Gauge awhile back and it was nice for the price. Haven't looked at them in awhile though.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....oh. My. Gosh. You use conventional oil?! Uh yuck.
Jokes.
What all are you trying to monitor? Multiple different things or anything specific?

OP
OP
badfish888

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nothing specific, Engine temps, trans temps, And oil pressure. And I'm hoping this all can be done by an old tuner.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There was a dude in the forum that ran Valvoline for 50k and got a smoothed out cam in that deal, here. That oil has no molybdenum here. You don't have to spend 15 dollars to get an oil with moly, Penzoil yellow bottle is one of the highest moly oils. You don't have moly in your oil, your metal parts are not protected at startup period. Here is valvoline, no moly level. Don't shoot messenger, just trying to be helpful.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Regular oil changes are key with a normal use vehicle. My friend just sold his V-8 Cherokee that had just over 300K miles on it and still running great. He changed the oil every 3-5K with whatever oil was on sale. Never used synthetic.