New engine in progress

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My saga with the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 continues. I have had multiple issues with it this year. The exhaust manifold bolts breaking, lifters failing, and rocker arms jumping out from under the camshaft. I decided that it's time to replace the engine with a Jasper remanufactured one. Upon removing the old engine, we found metal in the oil pan. We also found oil in the antifreeze. The rear main had been leaking as well as the front seal. I hope this truck will keep spinning them down the road for many years to come. FYI, I had been running Mobile one 5-20 Synthetic for the last few years and never went above 3,000 miles. There was milky oil on the oil fill cap that tells me moisture was not getting out. I believe that oil passageways for the 6th and 8th cylinders were clogged up causing the lifter to fail multiple times.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Milky snot in the oil fill cap was very common on the 4.7 and 3.7. Generally it's just oil vapor and condensation that doesn't point to any deeper issue. Rerouting the PCV or insulating the filler can help that.

Sadly the 4.7 and 3.7 don't age super well, rocker and lash adjuster issues are common. Hopefully your reman engine serves you well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Back when i was playing with a 4.7 in my old 13,i put a catch can on it,and if any engine needed a catch can,it was that little 4.7,it put more sludge into the can then any Hemi i've ever owned

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
D

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Milky snot in the oil fill cap was very common on the 4.7 and 3.7. Generally it's just oil vapor and condensation that doesn't point to any deeper issue. Rerouting the PCV or insulating the filler can help that.

Sadly the 4.7 and 3.7 don't age super well, rocker and lash adjuster issues are common. Hopefully your reman engine serves you well.

I am not familiar with a catch can. What does it do and how is it installed?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A catch can goes inline with the PCV flow and is a trap to allow any mist/vapor etc to condense and fall out of suspension which stops it from making it back into the engine. There are many options, just google catch can. Stay away from vented ones (with an external filter) as that will cause a vacuum leak in your system.

Basically, every engine should have a catch can IMO. However, it's a maintenance item that must be drained so not suitable for the average clueless user.

OP
OP
D

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A catch can goes inline with the PCV flow and is a trap to allow any mist/vapor etc to condense and fall out of suspension which stops it from making it back into the engine. There are many options, just google catch can. Stay away from vented ones (with an external filter) as that will cause a vacuum leak in your system.

Basically, every engine should have a catch can IMO. However, it's a maintenance item that must be drained so not suitable for the average clueless user.
Thanks for the info.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the info.
If any engine needs a catch can,it's the 4.7.
Here's my post from 10 years ago,on another forum,but you can easily adapt the Hemi can to the 4.7,instead of the Mod motor Ford can i used back then.The Moroso Hemi can has a bracket that lets you bolt it to the fender,or pretty well any place you want to bolt it to.

I have a Moroso can on my 4.7.
I like the Moroso can,as it has a valve that allows you to drain it.
I copied my buddy Audio1's idea of running a hose to the bottom of the frame,and adding an extra 1/4 turn ball valve.
The ball valve at the bottom prevents the hose from dripping on the garage floor

I used a Ford Mod motor can,as it had an easily modified bracket.
Mine bolts to the firewall by the brake booster.
The PCV line is on that side of the engine.
I cut and rewelded the bracket,and added a plate to it.
It wasn't hard to make it bolt to the firewall,but i did have to do some welding.
As far as i know,there isn't a 4.7 specific catch can,so you'll have to do some modding to make one work.
I'm a firm believer in them on 4.7's,i drain mine every thousand kilometers,and it's always got a couple ounces of oil in it

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Except for us old farts with 6.4L Hemis.

weewillie007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm running a 5.7L (2nd trek with 160K) and a buddy with 300+ we use prolong with EVERY oil change and my mechanic can't get over how my truck runs and how little wear. May help you with the new engine

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My saga with the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 continues. I have had multiple issues with it this year. The exhaust manifold bolts breaking, lifters failing, and rocker arms jumping out from under the camshaft. I decided that it's time to replace the engine with a Jasper remanufactured one. Upon removing the old engine, we found metal in the oil pan. We also found oil in the antifreeze. The rear main had been leaking as well as the front seal. I hope this truck will keep spinning them down the road for many years to come. FYI, I had been running Mobile one 5-20 Synthetic for the last few years and never went above 3,000 miles. There was milky oil on the oil fill cap that tells me moisture was not getting out. I believe that oil passageways for the 6th and 8th cylinders were clogged up causing the lifter to fail multiple times.
5w20 is WAY to thin for a 4.7 I build these engines all the time use 5w30-10w30 depends on where you live/temps

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PCV was redesigned in later 4.7/3,7 engines to address sludge (snot) build up by adding a baffle into the oil filler housing. This baffle was removable and many techs incidentally left them out, causing problems.

Other engines, such as my 2004 Ford Edge Ranger (3.0L Vulcan engine) have heated PCV valves to counter the huge drop in temperature due to the Delta temperature effect on temp/humidity caused by the orifice of the valve accelerating the warm, humid engine vapors speed of motion as they go past the restriction of the valve. Temperature drops drastically, the water condenses, oil gets cold, the 2 mix, and "Voila"! one has a "milk snot" concoction!

On GDI engines, the problem is worse. Catch cans do help!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The PCV was redesigned in later 4.7/3,7 engines to address sludge (snot) build up by adding a baffle into the oil filler housing. This baffle was removable and many techs incidentally left them out, causing problems.

Other engines, such as my 2004 Ford Edge Ranger (3.0L Vulcan engine) have heated PCV valves to counter the huge drop in temperature due to the Delta temperature effect on temp/humidity caused by the orifice of the valve accelerating the warm, humid engine vapors speed of motion as they go past the restriction of the valve. Temperature drops drastically, the water condenses, oil gets cold, the 2 mix, and "Voila"! one has a "milk snot" concoction!

On GDI engines, the problem is worse. Catch cans do help!

That's what we did - added a heater to the breather on the V10 engines.