Mopar CAI AND Induction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjhbowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've read many posts about the pros and cons of CAI's. But I could not find any about the Mopar CAI combined with the induction system on the sport hood. I have a 2017 Ram Rebel. I've seen the system on a Challenger.

Has anyone combined these two mods on a Ram truck and what was the outcome? Any benefits in power or fuel economy?

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas.....trying to decide.

Thanks in advance for any info.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are a few on here that have it. I wanted to go that route but I just couldn't justify the price. At $700+ it was just too expensive for my blood. Hopefully the owners will chime in. Merry Christmas!

Luis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
not sure how much of a benefit you'd get from having the induction being on top of the hood the way the sport ones are designed. I had a Tacoma with the sport hood on it and there was an actual debate/discussion about the same thing and one guy explained it pretty good why you wouldn't get what you would assume you would. The way the hoods are designed is just for looks and not actual functionality of airflow through the hood ports. Yes you would be getting fresher air but it wouldn't be the forced/ram air that you would think it would get, yes you might get some forced air but your intake would still be functioning as it would by sucking air in.

I have a 2011 and what I did was replace the coolant reservoir with a universal one and mounted it on the back of the engine bay behind the airfilter housing. I removed the angled piece that goes to the fender-well and replaced it with plastic flexible gutter tubing and routed it to the grill. It works but I need to create something that's a bit better and works more as a forced/ram air.

The universal reservoir was free because I got it from work and the tubing was about $10-$15 and about 1 hour of removing and installing everything, so I save about $685+

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Using a professional Stihl leafblower on a Ford Excursion 5.4l V8 the HP rises from 145 HP /202 lbs-ft to 161 hp / 231 lbs-ft.
That is 16 Hp more.
I dont think that any passive RAM air induction (and particularly not the 2 small holes of the sport hood will lead to a similar effect at reasonable speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rii3Yar1Z7s
Chris

OP
OP
B

bjhbowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks

I appreciate the responses. Still looking for someone who actually made the mods....without special tests I would have no idea what the actual air flow would be through one of the sport hood "nostrils," after all only 1 side is used in this mod.

I know my leaf blower blows very warm air, but probably just a factor of the outside temp.

Merry Christmas ncgrl!

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate the responses. Still looking for someone who actually made the mods....without special tests I would have no idea what the actual air flow would be through one of the sport hood "nostrils," after all only 1 side is used in this mod.

I know my leaf blower blows very warm air, but probably just a factor of the outside temp.

Merry Christmas ncgrl!

I have both pieces and I enjoy them. I got a deal on them which made me take the plunge and frankly glad I did. The install isn't to difficult with the right tools. The CAI took me 30 mins to install and the scoop took about an 1:30 trying to make heads and tails of the instructions.
The CAI box pulls from both the top and the fender cutout

Passing power is very notifible between 50-90 on the freeway. Overall I'm pleased.

The higher price tag is because it is 50 state carb certified. They always pass that cost onto the consumer.

I have not used any of the other CAI on the market to compare to so I won't be any help there.

Attachments

• 20170823_005647.jpg
    20170823_005647.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 26

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can agree with Dangulo. I have the same setup in my truck but i installed the hood part at a later date. The Mopar CAI was a dealer installed option when i bought it new in 2016. I can tell there is a difference by the seat of the pants dyno from stock box to the CAI, i didnt notice too much of a difference once i installed the hood section other than a louder sucking of air into the intake.