More problems replacing rack and pinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after fighting to get the correct rack for my 2010 to start with, I finally got the right one with the right specs and the steering shaft is tight now when hooked up. BUT now the inner tie rods are larger in diameter than the originals so my moog tie rod ends don’t fit. Why am I having such a hard time replacing this thing with parts that fit???

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure but I wonder if the size of the ti rods vary according to the model ? Like the 1500 is one size and the 2500 are larger and the 3500 may be larger yet.. because they are more heavy duty units.. The 4 whl drive verses the 2 whl drive might also be different.. did you order the parts by your vin# ??:driver:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Could be a mid year part change. Check your build date. Are these parts coming from a parts store or in the mail? Sometimes a guy at a parts counter will have dealt with this problem before and know what you need.

OP
OP
HStone33

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I think the wrong inner rods were put on it because everything else fit correctly for my make and model. The guy at the store was cool though and he gave me the correct inners to just swap and said I could bring the others back for a return. So it’s all in and drives good. I still have a little knock noise in the wheel and have the ESP/BAS/traction lights because I think I messed up the wheel angle the first time I swapped the rack but I’ll have my guy clear the code when I get it aligned and see if it goes away.

OP
OP
HStone33

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just extremely glad I can drive my truck again. Did the first swap Sunday and just got it all right by today, Thursday. I had to drive our older f150 around for parts haha.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be a mid year part change. Check your build date. Are these parts coming from a parts store or in the mail? Sometimes a guy at a parts counter will have dealt with this problem before and know what you need.
I have ran into this issue a few times, depending on the part I’m changing. I’ve bought parts online and at the auto shops and have had the same issue. 2011 Ram 1500 Sport and some
Parts that are listed as 11-18 fit and some don’t. For the parts that don’t, they fall under the 02-11 category. Waste of time having to return and wait for shipping or, when I’m Lucky enough, I’m able to buy at a parts shop and switch them for the right part. I don’t know about the 12-18 if they have these issues or not.

OP
OP
HStone33

HStone33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a video of the current steering problem with the new rack but I cannot figure out how to upload a video from the Tapatalk app so I’ll have to do it in a little

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I think the wrong inner rods were put on it because everything else fit correctly for my make and model. The guy at the store was cool though and he gave me the correct inners to just swap and said I could bring the others back for a return. So it’s all in and drives good. I still have a little knock noise in the wheel and have the ESP/BAS/traction lights because I think I messed up the wheel angle the first time I swapped the rack but I’ll have my guy clear the code when I get it aligned and see if it goes away.

The code might remain or return unless the steering angle sensor is zeroed with a scanner.... simple and quick thing!