Programming a Rack and Pinion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFinc249

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys Im new here, and this is the first newish vehicle Ive owned. Its a 2018 1500. And it has 60,000 miles on it. I bought it with 50k. Since I put my leveling kit on which was like 3k miles ago. Ive been hearing a popping noise when I turn hard left. It gets worse when Im on uneven surfaces like in a field and such. I had a buddy that owns a mechanic shop take a look at it and he told me it was the rack and pinion. Which is what I suspected due to it seeming like its gear is slipping. However, I was going to replace it myself, but I heard that it might need programmed? Im not sure if thats true or if I can do that? Or if I need a dealer. I usually dont work on cars with so much technology. Haha. Thanks. Any help is appreciated

Dchap08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Assuming it's the electric power assisted steering rack that you're referring to, which is easy to figure out. There will be 2 power connections on the driver's side of the rack. 1 large, 1 small connection. If so, you have the EPAS steering rack. Plenty of places say that it needs programming (really, it's just a calibration) If you follow the service manual directions and secure the steering wheel from moving, there should be no issues. It's and easy job. Took under 2 hours for me in the driveway. Only hard part was lifting it up by myself. Just used a couple of ratcheting tie downs and raised it up in to place.

I went with the BBB industries rebuild. Got it for right around $680 total, including shipping. I did have to pay the $350 core charge, which was all returned upon sending the old one back.
Been almost a year now, and no issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca