Morimoto headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wvmountaineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok, I was nursing a few cold ones with a state trooper friend of mine. I was showing him these lights I ordered, and he was like hold on. West Virginia state laws says you can only have 4 lights on the front of a vehicle on at at time. So basically I wouldn't be able to run my fogs with my headlights, as that is a total of six. I was like you BSing me, they are dot approved! Then we looked up the code, and sure enough:
ARTICLE 15. EQUIPMENT.
§17C-15-25. Number of driving lamps required or permitted.

(a) At all times specified in section two of this article at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or moped, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

(b) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than three hundred candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
They count each projector in the housing as a separate light. Guess I am gonna be an outlaw!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
So lets dig a little deeper into that though then........

Ford Super Duty - 17+ with halogen lights........they have stacked halogen bulbs that are on all the time. From the factory.....with fogs. There's 6.

Another thought.......the new LED array type headlights, some have 5-7 smaller projectors in them. They act as a single beam of light, as do the XB lights........

I guess its more of a technicality - as those laws where written when lights where 7" round or somecrap lol

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Ok, I was nursing a few cold ones with a state trooper friend of mine. I was showing him these lights I ordered, and he was like hold on. West Virginia state laws says you can only have 4 lights on the front of a vehicle on at at time. So basically I wouldn't be able to run my fogs with my headlights, as that is a total of six. I was like you BSing me, they are dot approved! Then we looked up the code, and sure enough:
ARTICLE 15. EQUIPMENT.
§17C-15-25. Number of driving lamps required or permitted.

(a) At all times specified in section two of this article at least two lighted lamps shall be displayed, one on each side at the front of every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle or moped, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

(b) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as herein required is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than three hundred candlepower, not more than a total of four of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
They count each projector in the housing as a separate light. Guess I am gonna be an outlaw!

Soooo what you're saying is every single person who buys a 2019 Longhorn or Limited Ram 1500 that has the OEM dual projector LED headlights is going to be an outlaw? I don't think so.

Also the way I am reading that is each "Lamp" is a headlight or factory fog light. I don't think they're counting each projector as a lamp.

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Any plans in the future to make these headlights with a chrome housing?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Any plans in the future to make these headlights with a chrome housing?

No........

They can be chrome painted (cosmichrome) - but......unless Morimoto has an order for (I think) 300, they won't do chrome.

wvmountaineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 hemi
So lets dig a little deeper into that though then........

Ford Super Duty - 17+ with halogen lights........they have stacked halogen bulbs that are on all the time. From the factory.....with fogs. There's 6.

Another thought.......the new LED array type headlights, some have 5-7 smaller projectors in them. They act as a single beam of light, as do the XB lights........

I guess its more of a technicality - as those laws where written when lights where 7" round or somecrap lol

I have to agree, seems these laws were written in the seventies, lol. But in the right circumstance with the right LEO having a bad day, I could foresee a ticket. It's kinda like the tint laws, supposed to be 35%, but they will let you slide unless it's like 5%, that is UNLESS you travel thru certain towns with over zealous local LEO(who write tickets for 1 mile over the speed limit. think of a certain town on US 19), they are gonna nit pick anything that brings money into the local coffers.

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That law pertains to a light as being one unit. Headlights plus fogs equal 4. Doesn’t matter the inside of the housing. They don’t want 4 lights plus led bars all on at the same time. Or people adding extra fog lights etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ichime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
No........

They can be chrome painted (cosmichrome) - but......unless Morimoto has an order for (I think) 300, they won't do chrome.

Is that something you/RetroShop would be able to do and if so, how much extra?

(I'm in no rush, just wondering for when the time comes for me to change headlights)

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
C66F3749-F01C-4601-B2AB-C7C1ECD8995B.jpeg Don’t buy an Acura or according to this thread a LEO on a bad day could lock ya up for a long time.

22 light sources on the front should be a lengthy stay in the pen I’d say...

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6EBD4787-E1CA-418E-9CDB-879E9874FAB1.png Oh no don’t look now Acura is really pushing the law now...they’ve added an additional (2) projectors while they were at it...

But on a more serious note...searching other brands of manufacture and their headlights I’m really seeing how subpar a lot of our trucks are even with the Morimoto lamps from this thread.

Why don’t our truck makers put any thought into the headlights when it such an important part of the vehicle for performance and for aesthetics?

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 159200 Oh no don’t look now Acura is really pushing the law now...they’ve added an additional (2) projectors while they were at it...

But on a more serious note...searching other brands of manufacture and their headlights I’m really seeing how subpar a lot of our trucks are even with the Morimoto lamps from this thread.

Why don’t our truck makers put any thought into the headlights when it such an important part of the vehicle for performance and for aesthetics?

To save money. They do the minimum standard by the DOT. They want you to spend more money for a better package truck.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To save money. They do the minimum standard by the DOT. They want you to spend more money for a better package truck.

Yeah but even the projectors that came in the rams suck until you have to modify them yourself.

I’m assuming the 2019+ rams are better now.

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah but even the projectors that came in the rams suck until you have to modify them yourself.

My friend has a 2019 with the led headlights they are so ******* bright it’s crazy. People highbeam him. I guess they are getting their game up.

wvmountaineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 hemi
View attachment 159179 Don’t buy an Acura or according to this thread a LEO on a bad day could lock ya up for a long time.

22 light sources on the front should be a lengthy stay in the pen I’d say...

Never said anybody was going to get locked up, lol. More or less trying to point out the ancient lighting laws in some states, and wondering why they have never been updated. Then again, up until a few years ago there was a law on the books here in my county that you could
spank your wife on Sunday for not obeying, as long as you did it on the courthouse steps.

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Never said anybody was going to get locked up, lol. More or less trying to point out the ancient lighting laws in some states, and wondering why they have never been updated. Then again, up until a few years ago there was a law on the books here in my county that you could
spank your wife on Sunday for not obeying, as long as you did it on the courthouse steps.

The liberal bastion of Virginia Beach has a no profanity law, and you can’t tow people on a bike...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Is that something you/RetroShop would be able to do and if so, how much extra?

(I'm in no rush, just wondering for when the time comes for me to change headlights)

I will need to triple check with my painter on this one. Ballpark around 650ish, as the chroming process is not a quick or cheap process.

Which version? The "mid line" LEDs.....they aren't bad. I haven't driven at night with the Limited ones yet.

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No I know I’m just kidding with you. Your local spanking law is great. I bet there’s some good ones all over like that.

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I know I’m just kidding with you. Your local spanking law is great. I bet there’s some good ones all over like that.

As a PO in NJ. We don’t write for that. Trust me.