Morimoto hid flicker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey guys, just installed my 55w Morimoto hid lights from the retro shop in my truck and I am getting a slight flicker every once in awhile. Checked all connections and everything looks good. Curious what your thoughts could be on why I get the small flicker. Only has happened while vehicle is moving that I have noticed so far.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like a loose ground or the ground isn't totally bare making poor contact.

OP
OP
H

HemiAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just hooked the ground wires to a bolt that was going into the side of the fender, should I ground to something different?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
definitely sounds like something is loose. is the bolt you used for ground painted? it needs to contact bare metal to really be grounded. I would triple check all connections with the lights on. move them around and see if you get any flicker then

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What ^^^ Nick ^^^ said. Those grounds have to be totally free of paint and tight to bare metal.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Could you run the ground back to the neg battery terminal? Could also be the pwm or something that pulses the electrical signal. If the bulb isn't tight that will cause a shake. If it's loose, you can double up on the rubber seal at the base of the bulb. Take it from your factory bulb if possible.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Besides bulb shake or a ground issues as stated above...

Not sure about the truck or what was purchased. But if your running a newer ram with a canbus and a morimoto mopar style HID harness check to make sure the anti flicker capacitor is installed and included. I just ordered two 15+ mopar harness last month and one of them showed up without the anti flicker capacitor included or the splitter. Only way I knew was that I just installed the other harness and realized an unused connection and a small black box was missing.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Not to hijack a thread, is there a downfall to adding more than 1 set of anti flicker caps? I have a morimoto 35w kit and even with the caps installed (I have checked that they work as there is a delay when turning them off) I still get major flicker when starting the truck, and most of the time my driver side cuts off.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you haven’t already, install a wiring harness that draws power directly from the battery and you won’t have any more flickering. I had the same issue and the heavy duty harness that went straight to the battery solved everything for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's either a bad ground or the harness you are using isn't very good.
What harness are you using?

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I’m using a HD relay harness from TRS and everything is grounded back to the battery....

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I’m using a HD relay harness from TRS and everything is grounded back to the battery....

Bad ballast?

Is it happening on both sides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HemiAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Besides bulb shake or a ground issues as stated above...

Not sure about the truck or what was purchased. But if your running a newer ram with a canbus and a morimoto mopar style HID harness check to make sure the anti flicker capacitor is installed and included. I just ordered two 15+ mopar harness last month and one of them showed up without the anti flicker capacitor included or the splitter. Only way I knew was that I just installed the other harness and realized an unused connection and a small black box was missing.

I bought everything from the retro shop so whatever harness and everything that’s included in his 2015+ ram 1500 hid kit is what I received

OP
OP
H

HemiAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's either a bad ground or the harness you are using isn't very good.
What harness are you using?

I bought everything from the retro shop and got the 2015+ hid kit with the mopar spec harness that he sells with the kit

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought everything from the retro shop and got the 2015+ hid kit with the mopar spec harness that he sells with the kit

Ok. Check your ground then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When I installed my Bi-Xenon Projector 55w HIDs with a wiring harness directly to the battery and a bare metal ground I too got the slight flicker every once in a while. After about 50 miles it quit and has not returned.