Motul oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Motul is a French company founded over 150 years ago. They're pretty big in Europe but not super popular on this side of the pond. IMO it's just as good as any other oil out there.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think pretty much anything is cheaper than redline.

Never understood the huge obsession with oil. It either meets the manufacturer requirement or it doesn't. I was a big Mobil 1 fan for a long time, but now I buy dealer oil change packages through Mopar because I can't do it significantly cheaper myself and the truck is under warranty till 2028 or 85,000 miles. If something happens between now and then who cares.

Honestly by the time 2028 comes around we will be ready for something new anyways. Maybe by then they'll have all the bugs worked out of Hurricane so we can get something that is quicker than the current truck AND averages better than 20MPG.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out your local farm & barn or tractor supply place ...whatever you have down there. See if they have Citgo Full-synthetic ...which a lot of the Farm & Barn places sell. That's usually the cheapest place to buy oil, esp when it's on sale. If they have a 'house-brand' it's likely to be the same re-packaged oil brand as whatever they sell (like Citgo). Just ask who supplies their house brand oil? Citgo is good stuff. Rates good on Bob's. I've literally been using it exclusively in vehicles since the early 80's cause it's what I can get on sale at the local Farm & Barn ...and all my vehicles have gone real high miles...some over 325k ...till they just rusted out. I've never had an engine fail or use excessive oil, put it that way. Mostly I use Dino oil. I've also used Shell Rotella T6 and Mobil synthetic and Dino oils...in diesels. Theyre all great.

I've been using Citgo synthetic in my plow truck for years. It's about the same price, maybe even cheaper than buying Dino oil at a parts store (worst place to buy fliuids/filters). I change it about ever 4 years or so (it doesn't see a lot of miles).

I use Penzoil Ultra Platinum from Amazon a in my Ram. It's not that expensive when it's on sale. A guy could buy a lot of oil for the cost of a worn cam engine bill! Use something 'good' would be my suggestion.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Motul has several brands, to compare to redline hp you need to price 300v which is it's "clone" or almost clone. Similar to hpl you need to compare 0w30 sc to redline hp to get an more apples to apples comparison. A side not summit price matches a j howard just got it 13.49 a quart for redline hp. Redline is ridiculously expensive except when you compare it to it's real competitors, then you realize it is actually cheap.

We have developed a poor mans redline formula, you get any cheap synthetic oil costco kirkland probably the cheapest 15 bucks per 5 qrt on sale, and add lubeguard biotech to it 15 ounce. It increases moly and esters and some other good stuff. Amsoil ss 0w40 has been reported by great forum members to be as smooth as redline 5w30 hp for a lot cheaper.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm, that's not cheap oil for sure. Hope its some good stuff. I guess one time in Europe I paid €20/L for some 0W..whatever lol.

PUP from Amazon (HERE) shakes out at 6.50/qt on sale. Not saying its equivalent by any means. I guess if you never have a problem, you can look at RL as cheap insurance.
:happy160:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I use PUP 0W40 with LubeGard. Just sent my 3rd sample to Blackstone will report out once results are received. Been excellent for 75K. 5K OCI

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For a price reference, I have a gallon of Motul 7100 15w-50 coming to the house right now. $65. So not really a cheap oil either. But as mentioned, their lower grade 300 is much more reasonable.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
300v is their flagship product, it is their version of amsoil SS of redline hp of hpl super car. Ester based with high moly, you can see their 7100 is near zero moly in some cases and only 1/2 average moly in other cases, the industry says you need 75ppm moly to receive the benefits of moly. You see the moly 300v is near that magical 200ppm moly where all the good stuff happened in the white papers and the level similar to the hemi specific oil formula. Just for info purposes, if would be like running redline's professional series over their high performance series. It is just over priced shelf oil. The worst part of 7100, it shreads viscosity which is protection, more shread from a 10w40 then you see with 0w40's. Even their 10w30 7100 is shedding viscosity, down to the 8's. So you pay premium dollars for an oil that shreds viscosity due to heavy use if vii's with low moly, just a fact. Techinal pdf 10w30 motul 7100 visc at 100 starts at 11.4 and from the uoa shreds to the 8's, that shouldnt happen even in a bike. Yes the good news about 7100 is the tbn and a decent additive package in other areas. But you could buy something off the shelf that would perform much better in ep additives and viscosity for 1/2 the price or cheaper. Just posting facts for your consideration sir. IMO, with motul in the hemi it is 300v or bust.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I should be clear, my input on Motul 7100 is for dirt bikes with a 15 hour oil change interval, which I adhere to. I have no idea if it would work well in a Ram.

sduncan86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just because and I can think of no other valid reason, I use the Pennzoil ultra platinum that I get on Amazon and the SRT oil filter with it. Since the filter is larger than the teacup sized original one, I also added a can of liquid motul oil additive to make up the difference. Oil level came out perfect, I got a warm fuzzy feeling from trying to help the valve train all I can, the warranty is still intact, and I didn’t have to pawn a kidney just to do a damn oil change.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I last used motul during a scheduled dealer 700 mile checkup on a new Ducati 15 years ago. When I got the bill, I asked why so much for an oil change. They pointed to $20/ qt. racing oil (300v). I asked the service guy if it will jump in my lap after usage for that price? There's no reason to use it in an air-cooled Ducati. No way in hell would I use it in a Ram. I do use a nice ester-based Maxima in all of my motorcycles, BTW. Just not motul.

I use Burla's cheap redline alternative (valvoline extended performance and lubeguard)

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been using Amsoil 5-20 with great results, no additive and engine is very quiet. I used 5-30 the change before last and the truck had a code of "wrong viscosity". Smart truck. I went back to 5-20 but Amsoil went way up in price. I buy 8 qts. when I purchase and last time was almost $150. I only change once a year because I rarely exceed over 6k miles, so while manageable, still pretty stiff.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I have been using Amsoil 5-20 with great results, no additive and engine is very quiet. I used 5-30 the change before last and the truck had a code of "wrong viscosity". Smart truck. I went back to 5-20 but Amsoil went way up in price. I buy 8 qts. when I purchase and last time was almost $150. I only change once a year because I rarely exceed over 6k miles, so while manageable, still pretty stiff.

Interesting, I have an 2017 5.7 HEMI and use 5w/30.

For my year model RAM, the recommended oil weight/viscosity is 5w/20 ... I've not seen anything indicating on the "instrument cluster" or an engine code that the oil is "wrong viscosity" using 5w/30.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Interesting, I have an 2017 5.7 HEMI and use 5w/30.

For my year model RAM, the recommended oil weight/viscosity is 5w/20 ... I've not seen anything indicating on the "instrument cluster" or an engine code that the oil is "wrong viscosity" using 5w/30.
What would even be funnier is their flagship 5w30 is even thinner then their 0w30, it is a very thin 5w30 data sheet, they changed it a while back for those climate change goals. Seeing how corey and others are running 0w40 and in fact amsoil 0w40 which is very thick at 14.8 and not throwing any codes, clearly something is happening here.

So somehow his truck is reading a difference between 9.29 and 10.3 and throwing a code for it. Somehow his truck has some very sensitive sensors.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What would even be funnier is their flagship 5w30 is even thinner then their 0w30, it is a very thin 5w30 data sheet, they changed it a while back for those climate change goals. Seeing how corey and others are running 0w40 and in fact amsoil 0w40 which is very thick at 14.8 and not throwing any codes, clearly something is happening here.

So somehow his truck is reading a difference between 9.29 and 10.3 and throwing a code for it. Somehow his truck has some very sensitive sensors.
From all the reports i've seen,it's only the 07 to 09 trucks that seem to throw a code for 5W-30.

Geeleena

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get any quality oil of your choice, then add a half bottle of RL brake in oil engine additive loaded with zddp it’s 17 per bottle at each oil change