Moving from sea level to altitude

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guyc66

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[QUOTE="As far as the ruination of Colorado it is all true. The taxes aren't really that bad but we now have the same politics as California and things are going downhill. Add into the 'unintended' consequences of legalized MJ and it is a mess here.[/QUOTE]

x2 what you said about the ruination of Colorado. Rumor has it our new governor may offer tax incentives to anyone who purchases a Honda Ridgeline, but exterior paint choices will be limited to pastel colors.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll bet the Ridgeline isn’t as bad the Tacoma that I’ve been driving for the last 4 weeks. I don’t even consider the Taco to be a real truck. I don’t know what it is. The seating position is like a car in that the seats are real low, and your knee att almost straight. The whole interior is an ergonomic mess.

My old 99 Dakota got a lot better gas mileage in Wyoming and Colorado than what it ever did in Indiana.

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all of the insight; I feel less concerned about the loss of some HP. I do have the 8 speed tranny with 3.92 gears. The octane topic is interesting and definitely warrants further investigation.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
[QUOTE="As far as the ruination of Colorado it is all true. The taxes aren't really that bad but we now have the same politics as California and things are going downhill. Add into the 'unintended' consequences of legalized MJ and it is a mess here.

x2 what you said about the ruination of Colorado. Rumor has it our new governor may offer tax incentives to anyone who purchases a Honda Ridgeline, but exterior paint choices will be limited to pastel colors.[/QUOTE]

limited to pastel colors.-- You got that right!

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
How heavy is the trailer? From sea level to Colorado you are going to lose about 20% of your HP. If your trailer has some weight to it and you plan on going up I70 to the mountains you will not be happy.

On a side note, I hope you are getting a well paying job. Colorado (the new California) will tax you to death. I couldn't stand it any more and got the hell out.

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Amen to your side note. Just hate what has happened here

jprocha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 ram 2500 diesel
Engine
Cummins diesel
I am from Houston and the mountains in the Colorado area is our favorite place to pull our RV. I pulled a 5300 lb. RV trailer with an Ecodiesel just fine. Prior, I pulled using a Chevy Suburban without issue. The only issue I ever had was crosswinds when pulling to Yellowstone from Fort Collins.
Since then I have gotten a bigger trailer and now have a Ram 2500 diesel.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3% power loss per 1000ft so you'll be looking at roughly a 15% power loss. Yeah, it's noticeable but not like you'll going backwards.
go to mid grade gas and you'll never tell the difference. these truck are altitude adjusting all by themselves. now the physics of it all no one can change but all vehicles are affected that way. science is wonderful don't you think?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was out camping once and the lone gas station had only one type of fuel - 92 octane, non-ethanol. I sure noticed a difference but I imagine it was just due to the non-ethanol rather than the octane.

I've argued with my dad about the octane thing for years All he can say is "it's just better gas." As though someone at Chevron is hand selecting better barrels of crude to make it with :)

The Rams (6.4 Hemi) are interesting, though, since the manual says 89 is recommended but 87 is acceptable.

yourfloormat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 TRX4
Engine
I have a 09 Hemi. I use to live in FL which is basically sea level and now live in Tucson at about 3,500 feet. I often go to mountains around here at 9,000 feet plus. Also go to CA over the mountains that way. If towing its usually in the 4-5k range and I will tell you I have never had a noticeable loss of power. The most noticeable thing is how it sounds and drives when its cold out.

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I was out camping once and the lone gas station had only one type of fuel - 92 octane, non-ethanol. I sure noticed a difference but I imagine it was just due to the non-ethanol rather than the octane.

I've argued with my dad about the octane thing for years All he can say is "it's just better gas." As though someone at Chevron is hand selecting better barrels of crude to make it with :)

The Rams (6.4 Hemi) are interesting, though, since the manual says 89 is recommended but 87 is acceptable.
If your engine doesn't need higher octane you will not see any difference but the non-ethanol can make a big difference. I own a Polaris RZR 570 and it got a consistent 24 mpg with 10% ethanol for the first year and then I tried ethanol free and my mpg went to 29 consistently. My 4cyl. Wrangler went up 2mpg with ''free''. In the ''old days'' the premium or high octane fuels typically had more additives making it a ''better gas'' so your dad had a point although today 89 and 92 have the same amount of detergents and other additives with the exception of anti knock compounds.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If your engine doesn't need higher octane you will not see any difference but the non-ethanol can make a big difference. I own a Polaris RZR 570 and it got a consistent 24 mpg with 10% ethanol for the first year and then I tried ethanol free and my mpg went to 29 consistently. My 4cyl. Wrangler went up 2mpg with ''free''. In the ''old days'' the premium or high octane fuels typically had more additives making it a ''better gas'' so your dad had a point although today 89 and 92 have the same amount of detergents and other additives with the exception of anti knock compounds.

My Uncle was an engineer with Mohawk Gas for years,and higher octane fuel,is not better fuel. He used to tell me,the higher the octane ,the dirtier the fuel,as the stuff that's added to combat pre-ignition and raise the octane rating is not gas,and doesn't burn worth ****.I tested this out once at the track with a low 11 second 401 AMC Hornet.It was a relatively low compression/big cam /high rpm combo..On 87 the car would run consistent low 11's,poured 5 gallons of 100 octane into the tank,and the car proceeded to lose 4/10's ,spent the next hour in the pits draining the tank /lines and carb,and re-filling it with 87,and the car was back to running it's normal times.If you don't need the higher octane fuel ,you're just wasting money and throwing power out the window

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
Wild one I have read other threads saying too high octane can reduce power and I would have mentioned it but its very subjective to the specific engine but I agree with it being so sometimes. I have tested numerous vehicles rated for 89 and did not see any change either way with 92 in those particular vehicles and agree its a waste of money.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You won't see any improvement from higher octane unless your engine is tuned for it. And too much octane for the tune will lose power.

wink

onemc4you

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I heard Nitrous works great when towing porta-porti potties full of shi$t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Having been in Denver for almost a week now, I can say there is some power loss, but nowhere close to what I feared. On the upside, I seem to be getting a little better gas mileage. 2-3 mpg better (but closer to 2.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Save your money for windshield repair/replacement. I replaced mine twice and should have a third time in my '01. "In Colorado, if your windshield isn't cracked, it's because it was just replaced."

Seriously, the biggest thing is don't run your defrost hot on a cold windshield. If you already have a chip/star in the glass (which is common because of the pea gravel they use on snowy/icy roads), the hot air on cold glass will crack it fast. Warm the glass slowly. Learned that the hard way in a blizzard with a 40-mph north wind spinning my truck out in half a foot of snow.

Did the snow and -7 temp this morning make you second guess your decision?

OP
OP
14RamMan

14RamMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good to know about the windshield.

I dont recall it getting that cold, it was 1° F this morning, and that was plenty cold. Not enough to second guess ourselves! Lol

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Save your money for windshield repair/replacement. I replaced mine twice and should have a third time in my '01. "In Colorado, if your windshield isn't cracked, it's because it was just replaced."

^ Truth.

I can't tell you how many windshields we went through out there. (and paint chips) All from that damn gravel they throw on the roads. If they didn't crack they were so pitted after a year or two they needed replacement. We had windshield coverage added to our insurance policy to cover it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Windshields and octane---LOL Hell all they worry about in Colorado now is if they have enough dope and if you have any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds!!!!! The whole state has gone to HELL-----IMHO
Jay