MPG effect of Leveling Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought the air suspension more or less leveled the truck out for the most part. My Limited sat close to level I thought, but maybe I need to take a closer look at it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There's a built in rake even if you have air suspension.

rvance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pent 3.6
I would like to bring my front end up 1.5 inches because I have a Ranch Hand grill guard and it scrapes on some speed bumps and dips. I have lost 4mpg already with 10 ply AT tires, grill guard, Ranch Hand back bumper, and ARE topper. I doubt it would make a difference in mileage, but the expense is serious money for a relatively minor inconvenience.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
Although my 2009 truck was a 3500 Diesel, when I did the self-leveling with just slightly larger tires, I lost approx. 2 mpg. With my new 3500, I will not be leveling it.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I did a front end leveling kit right after I bought my 2021 1500. Just wondering what others have seen regarding the impact of that on MPG. It does change the aerodynamic profile, so maybe on a change in highway mpg?
The Service Writer at my Dealership leveled his Ram and he said he regretted doing it because his MPG went into the toilet.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
nothing but anecdotal since a lot of factors at play, but trying to include as many as i can which might differentiate our trucks...

i got around the advertised 19-20 combined on my 21 rebel off the lot. 3.92 gears, no e-whatever.

leveled on bilstein 6112's (2") but also went to heaveir wheel/tire (fuel d681, bfg ko2 34.5" aired down to 45/35). honestly regret the overly-heavy (imo) ko2s so plan to change to something a bit lighter/softer but it is what it is. also run a mild "tune" (pulsar performance mode).

last trip i was averaging 15 cruising on the freeway at 75... so i do see an impact, but that's why i usually just keep "vehicle info" up and never look at the mpg. no regrets, more than looks i like ground clearance especially on an ORP truck.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
I did a front end leveling kit right after I bought my 2021 1500. Just wondering what others have seen regarding the impact of that on MPG. It does change the aerodynamic profile, so maybe on a change in highway mpg?
All a leveling kit is going to do is raise the center of gravity and make the truck a little unstable if you tow anything heavy. It will not affect millage. The oversized tires you put on it will though.....

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do a level if not doing tires or wheels and tires?!?! To me that is just dumb. I see some people around here with a 6" lift and big wide fender flares with stock tires...it is so stupid looking. Haha.
You could have stopped at why do the level.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
My new Warlock Classic sits on 5100's all around with the fronts set at 2.1" raised.. all on the stock springs. I also have a 3.92 and that absolutely adds to the equation as well ;)!!!

I also run LT295/65R20's (equivalent to 35's) all around for my summer set up... my MPG is really subjective as it pertains to road conditions and my throttle input at any given time ;)

Do I chew more fuel being raised and on LT35's and a 3.92 rear end... heck yes I do..!!!

Do I care,..,,... Not a friggin bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't purchase this truck with the 3.92, its aftermarket suspension, and its oversized tires for better fuel economy.

Not trying to be a d..I_ n..-K on this, either... But I knew what I was getting into when I signed up ;)

Deal with it or purchase a Prius ;)

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I put 35 inch tires on my stock 2500 without lifting it. They rub slightly off road not an issue for me.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
All a leveling kit is going to do is raise the center of gravity and make the truck a little unstable if you tow anything heavy. It will not affect millage. The oversized tires you put on it will though.....
Raising the front end increases air resistance, drag, load and therefore Nascar Ram.jpgfuel usage.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do a level if not doing tires or wheels and tires?!?! To me that is just dumb. I see some people around here with a 6" lift and big wide fender flares with stock tires...it is so stupid looking. Haha.
Stupid looking to me is the *** end layin on the ground headlights to the sky.a847fc05de41437dc0ad89b72d6835c5.jpg

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What most people here are missing in their own anecdotes is that they lost X mpgs when they put on a level and put on bigger tires. Big tires add weight, which is a double whammy because its rotational mass and not just dead weight, and it hurts your gear ratio.

Tires make a WAY bigger difference than your level. Level will slightly hinder aero, but not by much.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What most people here are missing in their own anecdotes is that they lost X mpgs when they put on a level and put on bigger tires. Big tires add weight, which is a double whammy because its rotational mass and not just dead weight, and it hurts your gear ratio.

Tires make a WAY bigger difference than your level. Level will slightly hinder aero, but not by much.
Exactly. If only someone would have said that in say...post #5 or 6 of this thread. :rofl:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Exactly. If only someone would have said that in say...post #5 or 6 of this thread. :rofl:

Ya, I saw that. Unfortunately half the other people in this thread skipped over it so I figured I would reiterate.

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have to ask it isn’t for you, lol

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Levelling and removing the air dam, even with stock tires will reduce your gas mileage. More prevelant at higher speeds than lower. Ram did nose down and dam intentionally to improve gas mileage. It works but if you dont like the look, then no problem.
I say it again. Read the above. Most things guys do to these pickups reduces the base gas milage. The degree to which it happens depends on the total number of modifications amd what they are. Nothing i have ever seen posted for lift, wheels, extra accessories ever increased the mileage.

Edward Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
If you changed to taller tires but did NOT correct the calibration of your speedometer, then consider this:

If larger tires slowed down your speedometer then it also slowed down you odometer by the same percentage.
If 70 MPH on the speedo is really 75 MPH on the road then you have gone more than 1 mile when the odometer registers 1 mile.
You are going more miles every tank of fuel than what you are showing on the dash.

Therefore your calculated mileage, be it on the dash or hand calculated, is now showing less than the true MPG that you are achieving.

Now think about this: We can all agree that 3.21 gears will get better mileage on the highway than 3.92, right? But why exactly?
Well a taller tire just slightly raises (numerically lowers) your gearing. Your crankshaft turns less RPMs for every mile.

Of course, this does NOT take into account the increased rotational mass or unsprung weight... but since lowering your speed/RPM whilst in high gear makes such a large impact on MPG, it stands to reason that the higher "effective ratio" of taller tires should theoretically improve efficiency at a particular speed on the highway.
Albeit, so long as you are below the threshold of diminishing returns from the increased load of wind resistance or at an RPM to far below peak torque (volumetric efficiency) of the engine.

Last edited: