Mufflex MPG drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chrisp6074

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 TRADESMAN QC 4x4
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I put an 18" single in-single out mufflex on my ram about 6 months ago, and have noticed that my MPG has decreased by about 2 on average. I went on a road trip before and got almost 19 mpg and have went on a couple since then and got around 17 each time. Mostly interstate doing 75 on the times I'm comparing. Have noticed a decrease in town too. Does this make any sense? I haven't done anything else to the truck so far, because i don't drive it much. Thoughts?

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get your foot out of it.... Simple as that. You want to hear it, so you are on it more. You wont drop 2mpg by changing out your muffler, its just not possible. You are not the first person to have this issue, there are many just like you.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Winter blend gasoline isn't as efficient as summer. It's normal to drop some MPG over the winter.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah sounds like u like listening to it a lil too much...lol!

OP
OP
C

Chrisp6074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the input guys! It is true that I can't keep my foot out of it, I love the sound!! But I was comparing highway mileage mostly. I didn't know there was winter blend gas, is that to prevent freezing?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Winter gas is oxegenated, thats the only difference but it does affect mpg.

While that is Most likely the issue, I went from a 18" muffler swap to a full cat back and I honestly felt a low rpm tq loss with the 18" muffler. My truck feels stronger at the lower rpms like stock with the full catback. I was expecting the opposite but I believe muffler design affects backpressure and low rpm tq. The 18" muffler was a straight through design and louder than the 23" dynomax even tho the catback has larger 2.5" piping.

People here will say that's ridiculous and while I agree I know what I felt and I believe it might be possible. Wouldn't it be great to do a dyno comparison?

Reason I say this is bc iF u lost low rpm tq you will tend to give it more rpm to move and thus higher fuel consumption.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Thanks for the input guys! It is true that I can't keep my foot out of it, I love the sound!! But I was comparing highway mileage mostly. I didn't know there was winter blend gas, is that to prevent freezing?

No. It is/was a political issue, all ********.

OP
OP
C

Chrisp6074

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the responses guys! I pulled the battery cable and reset the computer and this seemed to help about 2mpg in town. Haven't been back on the highway yet... Blackbetty, this makes sense to me as well, if you lose some torque, your mds stays on less? Idk, gonna play around with it some more.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mpg increased when I removed the Mufflex from my 09 and went back to stock,,,

Unclear as to all the factors involved, but I do know my driving habits changed...

E Z DUZ IT!!!

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. It is/was a political issue, all ********.

Sounds just like my parents in their own little 'untouched by the world' corner of rural Iowa,,,

C'mon down to H-town,,, you can see the '********' each morning hovering over the city,,, LA has a nice layer of ******** as well, but it's perhaps a bit better than it once was,,,

I think the folks in Hong Kong are convinced it's all ******** too! :roflsquared: