My Own CAI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3" x 2' Flexible Air Intake from AutoZone. The air box still draws air in from the original intake (behind the wheel well) and now from just below the frame. There is a cable tie holding the bottom end of the tubing to the frame.
I've got nothing too lose and I didn't have a extra 300.00 to spare for the real deal. This cost me 19.99. I'm not planning on breaking any land speed records. I just wasn't impressed with the small opening it was drawing air from on the original set up.

Attachments

• air intake.jpg
    air intake.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 130

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
this has become a populer mod recently. I have it done on my truck as well.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well played, sir.
I wish there was an affordable solution to replace the accordion section of intake tube between the airbox & TB; it's the only piece I really cared about replacing.
This is a great intermediate mod to the $300+ aftermarket solution for CAI.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well played, sir.
I wish there was an affordable solution to replace the accordion section of intake tube between the airbox & TB; it's the only piece I really cared about replacing.
This is a great intermediate mod to the $300+ aftermarket solution for CAI.

ty4ygu6u.jpg

Edit: Just realized this is 4th gen section. But I guess you can do something similar.
Sorry

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PCA4208 - I have looked high and low for a smooth intake (only) tube for the 4th Gen but have yet to find one... I like yours. I wish someone made them for the 4th Gen.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PCA4208 - I have looked high and low for a smooth intake (only) tube for the 4th Gen but have yet to find one... I like yours. I wish someone made them for the 4th Gen.

Yea it's just a piece of PVC for 3rd gens.. But the 4th gen has a weird bend in in that makes it hard to make it out of PVC.

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
http://www.ramforum.com/attachments/f44/16660d1379792124t-my_own_cai-air_intake.jpg

What I see here in link above, is what most current new vehicles and some older already have stock: A functional cold air intake stock. This particular picture also has an addition tubing added to the stock cold air filter box.

This IMO is not going to benefit in any way. As said, a CAI is there already stock. If the Intake air is drawn anywhere outside of the engine bay area(warm or hotter air) then it is considered a cold air intake. Now the performance on an aftermarket or self made CAI can be grabbed best by eliminating ribbed tubing, upgrading larger diameter tubing, high flow air filter, tubing composition type(plastic, aluminum, etc...). Aluminum if going near engine heat transfers the heat quicker than plastic warming the air... I prefer plastic designs.

Its great thinking outside the box!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine

Legmaker....Moe's carries them. I ran one for a while...very nice part if you're just looking for a tube. It comes with an extension for the IAT sensor to move it to the inlet for the air box...you can see it in the pic. Also comes with all necessary boots and clamps. It's a real carbon fiber tube.

217015_3864009038382_2101406556_n.jpg

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
http://www.ramforum.com/attachments/f44/16660d1379792124t-my_own_cai-air_intake.jpg

What I see here in link above, is what most current new vehicles and some older already have stock: A functional cold air intake stock. This particular picture also has an addition tubing added to the stock cold air filter box.

This IMO is not going to benefit in any way. As said, a CAI is there already stock. If the Intake air is drawn anywhere outside of the engine bay area(warm or hotter air) then it is considered a cold air intake. Now the performance on an aftermarket or self made CAI can be grabbed best by eliminating ribbed tubing, upgrading larger diameter tubing, high flow air filter, tubing composition type(plastic, aluminum, etc...). Aluminum if going near engine heat transfers the heat quicker than plastic warming the air... I prefer plastic designs.

Its great thinking outside the box!

Have you seen where the original cold air intake draws air from on a 4th Gen? Its a terrible design using a small area from behind the right front headlamp assembly. My thought was add a 3 inch tube and draw in cold(er) air in without any restrictions from underneath the truck as compared to stock. Been looking for a smooth intake tube for it, but nothing out there. My goal was to create a cheaper alternative CAI rather than shelling out $300.00 or more for a super duper high performance CAI. I think at 19.99, I found it.

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Legmaker....Moe's carries them. I ran one for a while...very nice part if you're just looking for a tube. It comes with an extension for the IAT sensor to move it to the inlet for the air box...you can see it in the pic. Also comes with all necessary boots and clamps. It's a real carbon fiber tube.

217015_3864009038382_2101406556_n.jpg

Whoa.... Awesome! Thanks for the info!!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I really like the Legmaker mid tube. The carbon fiber looks great under the hood, weighs next to nothing, and doesn't hold heat like a metal tube would. They also include very high quality clamps unlike many of the other aftermarket intake companies.

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
Have you seen where the original cold air intake draws air from on a 4th Gen? Its a terrible design using a small area from behind the right front headlamp assembly. My thought was add a 3 inch tube and draw in cold(er) air in without any restrictions from underneath the truck as compared to stock. Been looking for a smooth intake tube for it, but nothing out there. My goal was to create a cheaper alternative CAI rather than shelling out $300.00 or more for a super duper high performance CAI. I think at 19.99, I found it.

Not trying to come across negative, especially to a fellow RF member. I just don't think the engineers in charge of the stock design for your trucks CAI made it where what you did will give it any gains. The Air filter and rest of the intake tubing is still the same dimensions which will only permit so much air in. It is still going to be the same air temperature, except with the risk of sucking in moisture from what the picture shows. I had owned a LS2 Z28 that had a wicked ram-air intake on it going down low... The wrong puddle with a rainy storm had destroyed the LS1 that was in it. I am just sharing my opinion. I still think its great your thinking outside the "box" and looking for cheaper ways to obtain any and all performance upgrades. I do the same.

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad I could help you with the intake. The truck seems to really like it when cruising on the highway. You will really see a difference on a cooler morning.

Paul

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad I could help you with the intake. The truck seems to really like it when cruising on the highway. You will really see a difference on a cooler morning.

Paul

Thanks Paul!!! I can tell its a tad more responsive now. Thanks for your original post! This project took a little time and a little money and it was well worth it!

Appauldd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I immediately noticed better throttle response. The truck does not have to struggle for air any more.

JohnHenry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
Sorry for missing the mid pipe installed prior to my last post. Looks great! Enjoy!

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I know the VR costs much more than 19.99 but has a great look while deleting the tube all together, pretty baddass setup if you ask me and well worth the money.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 34

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
At the end of the day there's only one air intake that'll truly make a noticeable difference.

581666_4797131285855_239236512_n.jpg

Everything else is just making extra noise.