My RAM with Halogens vs. GMC/Chevy HID's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyRAMatDunkinDonuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here's an interesting comparative...

Backstory: I have HID's, but I reverted back to halogens for a bit to see how I felt about them almost a year later.

At any rate, on the highway earlier today, I came up against a GMC/Chevy with what appeared to be factory HID's. I asked my wife to take a pic. when we were side by side...

attachment.php

My fogs were on, not sure if that was the case on the other truck...

Attachments

• highway.jpg
    highway.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 246

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
So here's an interesting comparative...

Backstory: I have HID's, but I reverted back to halogens for a bit to see how I felt about them almost a year later.

At any rate, on the highway earlier today, I came up against a GMC/Chevy with what appeared to be factory HID's. I asked my wife to take a pic. when we were side by side...

attachment.php

My fogs were on, not sure if that was the case on the other truck...
What hid kit did you get and did it last with out error codes? I can not stand my headlights they are so dim I can't see that well with them at all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
If then light an seems dim change the bulbs. It makes a world of difference.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GMC is just barely better than Ram, even the Silverado LED rated lower than Ram halogen

Pickups fall short in headlight testing

Large pickups

Good

2017 Honda Ridgeline

Acceptable

2016-17 GMC Sierra

Marginal

2017 Nissan Titan
2016 Ram 1500

Poor

2016-17 Chevrolet Silverado
2016-17 Ford F-150
2016-17 Toyota Tundra

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nick what are the draw backs of these lights? I don't really want to drill out the dust cap and all that for a retro kit I have bought too many and they don't last 6 months.

I had Retroshops HIDs in my last truck for 3 years in my 2003 Ram 1500 with retrofitted projectors. I had 1 problem, I ended up buying all kinds of parts trying to figure out what was wrong... Turned out it was the driver side resistors, I had them plugged into the harness incorrectly.

So... There was no issue with the kit, and they outperformed my Audi's HIDs (other than the adaptive feature - turning with the steering wheel).

I just installed another Retroshop kit in my new-to-me 2015 big horn. This time I got a aftermarket projector housing, but still got the HID kit and quad to projector adapters from them. They know what they are doing, and make a very good product.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick what are the draw backs of these lights? I don't really want to drill out the dust cap and all that for a retro kit I have bought too many and they don't last 6 months.

other than the install and drilling out the dust cap...NONE. Not sure what brand(s) you have used in the past but i have used many Morimoto kits and havent had issues. we have sold many kits and not have had complaints. THese are quality kits made specifically for mopar applications. i wouldnt have installed them in my own truck if i thought they would be problematic

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat