Why does EGT climb over 1,300 degrees?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello all!

As many of you know, My wife and I travel to/from Mexico with our RV just about every fall. Great place to go, but that is for another conversation.

We have made friends with some of the folks there. One of them purchased a truck in Puerto Vallarta. After purchase, he had his emissions removed and replaced with a straight pipe. He says that this is common down there. It was not clear what all was removed, my Spanish sucks and Google Translate is not helpful for technical things. His truck is a 2016, not a dually, and his RV is both smaller and lighter than mine. As best as Google Translate and my ******-ass spanish can tell, he is saying that he had it "softwared like a truck that carries cars", I am assuming he means "tuned" though I am not sure if he means a 'car carrier' or a tow truck. He says that the truck runs fine, no issues, but when he accelerates firmly the EGT climbs quickly to over 1,300 degrees. Or if he is pulling his RV up a hill, "even a small one", the temperature jumps.

Is this normal? I have a monitor on my truck and my EGT goes nowhere near that high no matter what I do. This isn't my area of expertise so I don't know what to tell him.

Thanks and happy holiday,
Pete

OP
OP
P

paustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I'll ask. I don't mean to be stupid, but how would he know? Should he look for it being in one particular place or another?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The temperature probe will be visible, either in the exhaust manifold before the turbo, or exhaust pipe afterwards. As mentioned, normal temps vary depending on where you measure in the exhaust flow.

This is the problem with deleted and tuned; unless you’re technically sophisticated you are taking it on faith that the installer made the truck better, not worse. And support afterwards is a crapshoot, because no one else knows what has been done to the hardware and software.