Navigation System - No auto mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SK60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought i was having issues with my navigation system when it would never automatically go from day mode to night mode. Apparently, the Nav system in my 1500 (limited edition) does not have the capability to automatically sense darkness and move the nav system from day to night to day, etc..

I find this extremely hard to believe that Garmin (which i believe to be the system Dodge uses) does not have 1990's technology built into their Nav systems for Dodge. Every other vehicle nav, or stand alone system i've owned in the past 10 years has had this capability.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this issue and if they have had any resolution from Dodge?

The thing that really irritates me, is that the Dodge technicians didn't even know this, so they replaced my radio (which I found out, that under warranty, Dodge sends the dealers refurbs and not new radios, so now i have other issues) thinking my problem was my radio / nav...

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2013, no Nav system on mine, but my gauge cluster and uConnect screen both just dim based on my headlights being on or off. Nothing automatic about mine.

mike j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
I also have a 2015 Limited and the NAV screen will not auto dim. I have to use the interior light switch. It does seem to be an obvious design fault but I believe it is what it is.

robbyl27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought i was having issues with my navigation system when it would never automatically go from day mode to night mode. Apparently, the Nav system in my 1500 (limited edition) does not have the capability to automatically sense darkness and move the nav system from day to night to day, etc..

I find this extremely hard to believe that Garmin (which i believe to be the system Dodge uses) does not have 1990's technology built into their Nav systems for Dodge. Every other vehicle nav, or stand alone system i've owned in the past 10 years has had this capability.

I'd like to know if anyone else has this issue and if they have had any resolution from Dodge?

The thing that really irritates me, is that the Dodge technicians didn't even know this, so they replaced my radio (which I found out, that under warranty, Dodge sends the dealers refurbs and not new radios, so now i have other issues) thinking my problem was my radio / nav...

Hi, I did not see your post, and I just started a new thread on this, sorry. My 2014 1500 has the same issue. :crazy:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had three RA4 Nav radios two 14's and a 16 and they all dim automatically and go to the black Nav screen when my headlights are on. I have heard of this problem that others have had as well. That is really strange. I always figured that people were not understanding how to activate it in the settings but it sounds like that might not be the issue.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the interior light dimming or rheostat knob is in the locked position, it will override the auto setting. Just turn the dimming knob off of the positive click.

Dodgetk81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the interior light dimming or rheostat knob is in the locked position, it will override the auto setting. Just turn the dimming knob off of the positive click.

This is the answer. Happened to me as well. Had the dash lights set to their brightest. I turned them down and all is well.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
What troutspinner said. I've actually like that I can force the day vision setting at night ( headlights on ). Just make sure that you have your dash dimmer off the brightest setting. You can feel a slight detent.